Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

Would a 8.3 v ac battery adapter work in place of D-LI 109 batteries?

I'm wanting an external power source for my K-S2, and the only dummy batteries I have found, have either been relatively cheap, but 8.3v, or Pentax branded but $100. Would the 8.3v be dangerous, when my batteries list 7.4v, or would it work just fine? Or is there just something I've completely missed?

01-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think if you can make sure you do not go above 8.3 V, you'd be OK.

From my battery measurements*, a fully-charged battery is at 8.3-8.4 V, and cameras work just fine with that, although the voltage quickly drops a few tenths of a volt once it starts to get used. Pretty much any voltage between about 6.5V and 8V should keep your camera happy. There are all kinds of wall warts with such voltages, but I would check them out as to regulation (i.e. keeping a constant voltage under varying load) and noise (voltage spikes on the output) before I trusted my camera to them. These wall warts are built just about as cheaply as possible (unless they are designed for a fancy piece of equipment such as an expensive calculator).

*Some Pentax D-LI90 Battery Charge/Discharge Measurements - PentaxForums.com

Battery Capacity / Discharge Measurements - Pentax & Canon OEM versus Generic - PentaxForums.com
01-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MDRatliffe Quote
I'm wanting an external power source for my K-S2, and the only dummy batteries I have found, have either been relatively cheap, but 8.3v, or Pentax branded but $100. Would the 8.3v be dangerous, when my batteries list 7.4v, or would it work just fine? Or is there just something I've completely missed?
With external powersupplies using dummy batteries you can buy the cheap alternative, it is as good as the Pentax branded version.

Opposite to Li-Ions: Here only orig. Pentax!
01-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #4

The output specification on the Pentax branded AC adapters is 8.3 VDC at 2 A. So if you don't exceed that you should be fine. The cameras have a voltage regulator circuit in them.

01-09-2022, 01:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The output specification on the Pentax branded AC adapters is 8.3 VDC at 2 A. So if you don't exceed that you should be fine. The cameras have a voltage regulator circuit in them.
Just to prevent confusion:
Not to exeed 8.3V/DC output-voltage

Exceeding the max. current of 2A would never be a problem, just unnecessary!
01-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Exceeding the max. current of 2A would never be a problem, just unnecessary!
Well, actually, our cameras occasionally need/use up to 4 amps - but only for brief periods: How much current does a Pentax K-3 or K-1 use, especially during an exposure? - PentaxForums.com

Any decent (!) power supply (with some output capacitance filtering) should be able to handle that.
01-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just make sure your 8.3 volt source is a good one and well regulated. If it's just a simple step-down arrangement, the voltage could go higher if the line voltage were to rise. With regulation, the output is controlled despite changes in input. A good power supply will have transient protection and a really good one will have output limiting (crowbar) which will kill the output if it tries to go higher than the rated value, thus protecting any attached equipment.

01-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think many don't know about those special designed PS's for the K30/50/500/K-S1 and K-S2, they look like this:
amazon.com : HQRP AC Adapter Compatible with PENTAX K-S1 K-S2 KS-1 KS1 KS-2 KS2 SLR Digital Camera Power Supply Cord + Euro Plug Adapter : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
and have a dummy battery which is to be inserted instead of the Li-Ion. One has to slide that rubberpiece next to the batterydoor out so the door can be closed.

The original Pentax AC-Adapter K AC168 is discontinued and thus super expensive (as were all the other original ones).

Those 3-rd party version stem all from one source: China

and are very cheap to get directly:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32571355952.html

I have the original for the K10D/20D/K5/7/3 as well as the original for the *istD/K100/110/200D and know several people who use the China copies with success and never had problems.

A DC8,3V powersupply is very easy to manufacture, no big secret there.