Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3iii LCD screen issues

I am having trouble too often with my new K3iii LCD screen being blacked out. I've reset the camera, removed all power for a minute or so with no change. Later on (when I don't need too shoot) I power up and all is good. Anyone having the same issue and found a remedy? Thank you all for the assistance.

01-14-2022, 03:13 PM - 3 Likes   #2

Hi Timus, if your referring to the back LCD screen it can be cycled on and off with the info button, hope this helps.
01-14-2022, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If it's the same issue as I had (have) it may be the sensor under the viewfinder playing up.
Go into LiveView, (where there doesn't seem to be a problem), go to Menu C4 and disable all the features relating to Eye Sensor.
Try it again with the optical viewfinder.
If this solves the problem it'll be up to you what your next step is.
Pentax UK made such a fuss about a warranty repair I decided to live without the feature.
I haven't needed it on all my other cameras so I don't notice it's loss
01-14-2022, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
Hi Timus, if your referring to the back LCD screen it can be cycled on and off with the info button, hope this helps.
Thank you

---------- Post added 01-14-22 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If it's the same issue as I had (have) it may be the sensor under the viewfinder playing up.
Go into LiveView, (where there doesn't seem to be a problem), go to Menu C4 and disable all the features relating to Eye Sensor.
Try it again with the optical viewfinder.
If this solves the problem it'll be up to you what your next step is.
Pentax UK made such a fuss about a warranty repair I decided to live without the feature.
I haven't needed it on all my other cameras so I don't notice it's loss
My hero! Thank you, this works.
Agree, it's not on any of my other Pentax bodies. Never needed it before. My Fuji x100v does have this and it works fine, but it is not necessary.

01-15-2022, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Try not disable eye sensor (proximity sensor) but choose low sensitivity instead of Medium or High.
01-15-2022, 05:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to try cleaning the sensor area. I had troubles and found that cleaning off the area under the OVF did the trick.
01-15-2022, 06:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Try not disable eye sensor (proximity sensor) but choose low sensitivity instead of Medium or High.
Didn't work for me

---------- Post added 01-15-22 at 06:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kmarceau Quote
You might want to try cleaning the sensor area. I had troubles and found that cleaning off the area under the OVF did the trick.
Made no difference for me

01-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't work for me

---------- Post added 01-15-22 at 06:56 AM ----------

Made no difference for me
None of any suggested fixes have worked for me. Only a full reset fixes it till it decides to black out the rear screen again. It’s been 2 months since it did it last. Did it this morning when using the 150-450,:without the battery grip but with a fresh battery. Double tap the info button had the rear display flash off and on for 5 seconds and then off. Even live view and movie were blanked out and no image preview. Reset got everything back up again. The last update , I thought, fixed the issue but it did not.
01-24-2022, 02:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
None of any suggested fixes have worked for me. Only a full reset fixes it till it decides to black out the rear screen again. It’s been 2 months since it did it last. Did it this morning when using the 150-450,:without the battery grip but with a fresh battery. Double tap the info button had the rear display flash off and on for 5 seconds and then off. Even live view and movie were blanked out and no image preview. Reset got everything back up again. The last update , I thought, fixed the issue but it did not.
Double-check that you have the Menu C4 Eye Sensor settings set to Off/Off/Low.
Work from the LiveView screen if you can't activate the menu from Stills mode.
Performing a Reset is likely to revert these settings to default … a situation that, for me at least, was intermittent at best.
Unfortunately, if your LiveView is also affected, you may have a more extensive (or different) problem than I've experienced.
The very intermittency of the issue can make it a devil to find/cure
Good luck

Last edited by kypfer; 01-24-2022 at 03:18 AM.
01-24-2022, 06:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Double-check that you have the Menu C4 Eye Sensor settings set to Off/Off/Low.
Work from the LiveView screen if you can't activate the menu from Stills mode.
Performing a Reset is likely to revert these settings to default … a situation that, for me at least, was intermittent at best.
Unfortunately, if your LiveView is also affected, you may have a more extensive (or different) problem than I've experienced.
The very intermittency of the issue can make it a devil to find/cure
Good luck
The reset default for the eye sensor is on, off, medium, then everything functions as designed. Basically this lcd failure has many modes as this time after pressing the info button the lcd flashed 5 times then preview, live view, movie, info and menu failed to activate the lcd.
09-04-2022, 05:49 AM   #11

Thanks for the advice. I have tried all of these apart from a factory reset and still have absolutely no response from the LCD screen unfortunately.

Previously I had an issue where the screen was back to front and also it went weird shades of yellow! :-/
12-28-2022, 06:46 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timus Quote
I am having trouble too often with my new K3iii LCD screen being blacked out. I've reset the camera, removed all power for a minute or so with no change. Later on (when I don't need too shoot) I power up and all is good. Anyone having the same issue and found a remedy? Thank you all for the assistance.
I have experienced this several times and always settings reset helped to solve it.
Today however I came across bit different issue. When switchi camera on it makes burst and OVF is black. When I switch to live view, again camera makes burst and later allows me to take pictures.
Does someone know why camera burst on switching on / off and in changing modes? Live view works but ovf not. I have tried changing lenses taking battery out and issue is still the same.
03-07-2023, 01:08 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timus Quote
Hello I had the same issue. I bought the camera in May 2021and 3 months later started this problem, when used Limited 15 mm lens, I meanchanging lenses. I have thought the issue was caused by the lens, so sold itout and bought new 11-18. Unfortunately, issue went on. I switched camera onwas able to take pictures, but back screen did not work, had to delete all thesettings, switched on/off and then started to work for some time again.

In the end of the last year, however, there appeared moredifferent issue. When powering the camera on, the burst for continued shootstarted, the same when swapping from OVF to LV. For some time I was able totake single picture in LV not OVF. By the end of that day no pictures couldhave been taken. Deleting settings, powering on/off had no effect.
I have sent the camera to service at the beginning ofJanuary and now after three months, new camera is being delivered. Technicianswere not able to fix it neither in Prague nor in Berlin.
Will see if the issue continues.
Meanwhile I have bought Fuji x-h2 and I am fully satisfied,will see how to deal with Pentax K3-iii soon.
03-08-2023, 08:11 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Libor Quote
Hello I had the same issue. I bought the camera in May 2021and 3 months later started this problem, when used Limited 15 mm lens, I meanchanging lenses. I have thought the issue was caused by the lens, so sold itout and bought new 11-18. Unfortunately, issue went on. I switched camera onwas able to take pictures, but back screen did not work, had to delete all thesettings, switched on/off and then started to work for some time again.

In the end of the last year, however, there appeared moredifferent issue. When powering the camera on, the burst for continued shootstarted, the same when swapping from OVF to LV. For some time I was able totake single picture in LV not OVF. By the end of that day no pictures couldhave been taken. Deleting settings, powering on/off had no effect.
I have sent the camera to service at the beginning ofJanuary and now after three months, new camera is being delivered. Technicianswere not able to fix it neither in Prague nor in Berlin.
Will see if the issue continues.
Meanwhile I have bought Fuji x-h2 and I am fully satisfied,will see how to deal with Pentax K3-iii soon.
Sorry to hear that you're having more problems @Libor.

In the end, I couldn't fix the screen issue and contacted Amazon (after owning the camera for 13 months), who immediately offered a refund. I bought a new Pentax K3iii (from a different place this time) and this actually has a different issue (which I've also created a thread about in this forum) - The first couple of shots seems to "stick". Almost as if the mirror is sticky or jammed or something. When I do a high-speed multishot, the first few shots are very slow and the pictures come out blank (black). The only way around this, that I've found, is to simply fire a few "blanks" before I go out looking for nature to photograph.

If anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful.
03-08-2023, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K3 Marklll black LCD

After purchasing the K3 lll Ultimate Guide I found that pushing the info button repeatedly the LCD light up. All good.