Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
istD problems with cards

i have an old ist D that uses compact flash and it has decided to stop recognizing the cards. the card has always worked before so I tried another one and the same thing. any ideas what has happened ? it seems to function otherwise. any ideas would be appreciated.

01-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Card slot connector/pin problem?

Steve
01-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Card slot connector/pin problem?

Steve
is there a cure or is the camera done for ? it was my first digital obviously and I kind of like to use it occasionly
01-20-2022, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

My first check would be to peer into the card receptacle using a torch and magnifier looking for bent pins.
I've no experience with Compact Flash in cameras (yet, *istD in transit!) but I've used them in various business equipment and it would seem it's not impossible to misalign the card sufficiently to bend a pin if in a bit of a rush.
This is unfortunately probably terminal
Is there any chance of testing your cards in another device? It is just possible you have two faulty cards … alternatively and/or also, have you tried re-formatting the cards?
Good luck

01-20-2022, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
is there a cure or is the camera done for ? it was my first digital obviously and I kind of like to use it occasionly
I don't have a *ist D at hand, but do know that the pins for CF connectors may be fragile and prone to getting bent.* Take a look into the slot and see if any of the pins are bent over.

Steve

* May happen if the card's contacts are contaminated with grunge or if the card is inserted wrong-side-up; unlikely since the cards are keyed, but not impossible.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-20-2022 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Completeness/clarity
01-20-2022, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
yet, *istD in transit!
You too, eh? Mine (purchased on PF marketplace) is due for delivery on Monday.

Steve
01-21-2022, 02:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This post reminds me of two things.
First, I should get my *istD out more often, older and simpler but still very capable.
Secondly, boy am I glad Pentax switched to SD cards. I too have much experience with these sort of
connectors on IT equipment and they are easily damaged with bent pins or blocked sockets.
Of course SD cards have their problems but I haven't had any mechanical issues over many years now.

01-21-2022, 06:34 AM   #8

I just looked up what a CF card socket looks like. Same design of pins that are commonly used on computer motherboard cable connectors. Indeed very easy to bend. Not always easy to straighten out and they sometimes break.

01-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You too, eh? Mine (purchased on PF marketplace) is due for delivery on Monday.
Steve
Mine was due last Monday … still waiting
Was advertised on eBay as "flashing 'Low Battery' even with new batteries" … hoping it just needs a set of eneloops

UPDATE : Camera arrived - eneloops fitted, firmware updated, all good

Last edited by kypfer; 01-22-2022 at 05:12 AM. Reason: update