Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
camera won't fire

I have a K70 that I have attempted to use my Kiron MC7 2X teleconverter with any and all of my lenses including both auto and manual, however for some reason I cannot get the camera to fire! I have tried every setting on the settings wheel on top of the camera, I have changed all of the settings internally that I think would possibly control firing the shutter no matter what lens is on the camera including manual teleconverters all to no avail! I am stumped, as when I had used this same converter on my old *ist d with numerous lenses manual and auto there was no problem firing the camera.
Is the camera not able to use that teleconverter? Anyone have an idea other than tossing out the converter?

01-26-2022, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the custom settings menu C4 item 24 - Use Aperture Ring turned on (enabled)? If not, enable it, then turn the camera off and on. It will then prompt for focal length.
This allows manual operation of the lens, and will also support Shake Reduction in body.

Also make sure you've set it to MF manual focus.
01-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is the mount of the teleconverter anodised (black color on it)? If so, you need to either file down the paint or put some conductor between the converter and the camera mount (you can test the correct position for filing with a piece of tinfoil, there is no need to sand down the whole paint, just a small area close to the position where the pins are on your other lenses.
01-26-2022, 02:43 PM   #4

If the body is set to AF the shutter won't release unless focus confirmation is achieved. Focus will not lock with MF focus lens so you need a very steady hand to maintain focus confirmation. Less easy to do when using a teleconverter. Solution as noted above to to switch the camera to MF which allows the shutter to fire regardless of focus.

01-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the body is set to AF the shutter won't release unless focus confirmation is achieved. Focus will not lock with MF focus lens so you need a very steady hand to maintain focus confirmation. Less easy to do when using a teleconverter. Solution as noted above to to switch the camera to MF which allows the shutter to fire regardless of focus.
This can be deactivated in the menu also, so you can fire the shutter no matter if something is in focus or not (even when the camera is set to AF)
01-27-2022, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Is the custom settings menu C4 item 24 - Use Aperture Ring turned on (enabled)? If not, enable it, then turn the camera off and on. It will then prompt for focal length.
This allows manual operation of the lens, and will also support Shake Reduction in body.

Also make sure you've set it to MF manual focus.
Thank you ProfessorBuzz
I knew that if I asked the community here on the Pentax Forums I would get an answer, not only an answer, but the RIGHT ANSWER! I followed your instruction and lo and behold IT WORKED! Of course it works, I could only expect the right answer from ProfessorBuzz! Thank you ever so much for your help. Here are the jpegs to show that it in fact worked! Shot with my 50mm DA 1.8 and the Kiron 2X
Thank you thank you!

---------- Post added 01-27-22 at 10:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Is the mount of the teleconverter anodised (black color on it)? If so, you need to either file down the paint or put some conductor between the converter and the camera mount (you can test the correct position for filing with a piece of tinfoil, there is no need to sand down the whole paint, just a small area close to the position where the pins are on your other lenses.
No, it's bright metal just like the Pentax lenses are

---------- Post added 01-27-22 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Correct, I tried it set to auto without changing to manual as a test and it would not fire, changed to manual and it fired not only in AF but Bulb, U1-2-3, also in auto turned on video and it worked there also but terrible as the focus needs changing constantly, of course.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo