Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2022, 10:44 PM   #1

How to shoot Tamron 28-210 PK/AR on my K-x

I found a $100 Pentax K-x with a kit lens online, and I have a lot of manual focus K and M glass to play with when it gets here.

But one $25 lens I’ve ordered is an autofocus Tamron PK/AR mount. Does this have a Ricoh pin? If so how do I modify it?

And is there a different thing I need to do to shoot this than my K and M glass?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Images

02-06-2022, 11:51 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MESuperian Quote
I’ve ordered is an autofocus Tamron PK/AR mount
I hope that's a typo, it's a manual focus lens. I'm puzzled, The images show a Vivitar, the info below is for that.

Does this have a Ricoh pin?
Yes it does and it's the nasty pointy one which is more likely to cause problems. See pic.

If so how do I modify it?
Stand the lens on its end with the mount up.

Remove the four screws and lift the mount up carefully (the other brass pin is lightly spring loaded, don't lose the pin or spring). Both pins are captive.

Remove the 'Ricoh' pin (sorry I've forgotten how but it's easy). Bend up the tab, remove the pin, bend the tab back.

Re-assemble (note, the red dots on the body and mount must line up) then black out the '/R' of the PK-A/R to show it's been converted.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by alfa75ts; 02-07-2022 at 12:12 AM.
02-07-2022, 06:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! It was described on eBay as a Tamron autofocus but when it arrives, if it’s that one pictured it is certainly a Vivitar.

Instead of autofocus, it seems to be auto aperture.

Assuming I get the Ricoh pin out without loosing the good one that connects with the Pentax camera body, what’s the procedure to shoot it on my Pentax K-x, which is also in the mail to me?

Will this also have to be stopped down by the green button to be metered?
02-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Assuming I get the Ricoh pin out without loosing the good one that connects with the Pentax camera body
Just a word of caution: I just noticed my lens is made by Cosina, yours is by Kobori and may still have springs so be careful.

Will this also have to be stopped down by the green button to be metered?
I think I only ever left the lens in 'A' and used the camera in AV so it was pretty much focus and shoot.

02-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
My lens came in, and I took better pictures of it.

It has six contacts, one of which has a rounded pin. I think I need to leave those alone.

It’s that one by itself that is pointed and sticks up, that my finger is pointed, that’s the Ricoh pin, right?

I need to clean haze off the rear element anyway.

Do I just lift the spring and remove that pin my finger points to?
Attached Images

02-07-2022, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It’s that one by itself that is pointed and sticks up, that my finger is pointed, that’s the Ricoh pin, right?
That's the one.

Do I just lift the spring and remove that pin my finger points to?
Remove the pin and spring (if that's what's used) or bend the tab, remove the pin, unbend the tab (if that's what's used).
02-12-2022, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!

Removing Ricoh pin was easy.

Now I have a working Auto lens that communicates with my Kx and works in Manual, Av, Tv, and Program.

The Macro even works.