Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Intervalometer problems

I have a K-1ii that I bought 6 months ago to do night-sky photography. This requires multiple exposures in bulb, and the built-in interval exposure does not work in bulb (a serious oversight, in my opinion). So I bought a plug-in intervalometer, in this case a Vello ShutterBoss II. But the mini-pin plug-in is super touchy, and I have to fiddle around with it--a LOT--to get it to connect and function; I sort of rotate it into various positions until I find one that works. It's not just my K-1ii that's like this; before I bought my Pentax, I had borrowed a friend's K-1 (not mark II, just the first K-1) and his Pentax-branded plug-in remote had the same problem.

Is there a wireless intervalometer that works better than this? Getting very frustrated with this situation! (My previous camera for night-sky photography was a Canon, and that had a 5-pin plug-in for the remote... no way that thing could get in there in any but the correct position. A far superior system.)

02-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No wireless - you have to plug it. I use it with no major problems on the K-1 and KP. Latter with the 2.5 to 3.5mm red adapter cable.

Impulsfoto Impulsfoto SMDV Time Remote Controller reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually have the same intervalometer and yes it is finicky. What I've found is that the plug is on the short side of things with its L shape and if it bends down it unseats easily. If you get it so that the L comes out towards the back of the camera it works reliably. Another thought I have had to resolve this problem with mine is to see if I can get a 3 conductor 2.5mm to 2.5mm jack just to extend things a bit. I have also thought about cutting off the end of it and getting a 2.5mm audio cable and splicing them together so it is a straight connection instead of the L shaped one. For 2 of my release cables I actually made them from 2.5mm audio cables and they work great but splicing those fine wires is a pain. I haven't looked for a 2.5mm male to male 3 conductor converter but maybe a 2.5 female to 3.5 male and then 3.5 female to 2.5 male would work although that give more points of failure but some electrical tape would help keep things together tightly.
02-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Once it is happy with the connection, use a bit of gaffer tape (Nature's Miracle Worker !) to hold it in place.

02-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
but splicing those fine wires is a pain
AMEN!! I wouldn't try working on those wires unless you've got some wiring experience!

All kinds of plugs/sockets/adapters for/between 2.5mm and 3.5 mm are available on eBay for not much money. BestBuy might have what you need, too. (In the good old days, you went to Radio Shack for all this. Sigh.)
02-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote

(In the good old days, you went to Radio Shack for all this. Sigh.)
ha , ha ,
In Australia it was called Tandy Electronics but they closed down over 10 years ago.....
02-07-2022, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BestBuy might have what you need, too. (In the good old days, you went to Radio Shack for all this. Sigh.)
At this point I wouldn't think Best Buy would carry that. They have really gone down hill in the last 20 years. I too was a frequent Radio Shack visitor years ago but their selection of little bits just kept on diminishing until when they closed it was like 8 feet of pegboard in the farthest back corner with most of the pegs empty and with little for resistors and some 555 times. There use to be a HAM radio shop up on the north end of the Twin Cities but they closed down just as I was getting into astrophotography and they also carried scopes and mounts but they are gone now. I think the only place that sells any reasonable selection of electronic bits around me is Micro Center as they decided to start catering to the maker crowd. That is also where I got the 2.5mm 3 conductor cables that I used when making my mitten friendly release cables as well as the project enclosures for them and I could probably find an adapter or set of adapters there to get what I want.

AMEN!! I wouldn't try working on those wires unless you've got some wiring experience!
Wiring a cut end to switches isn't that hard but splices would likely be a different story. It is like some crappy 32ga multistrand wire

02-07-2022, 04:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Once it is happy with the connection, use a bit of gaffer tape (Nature's Miracle Worker !) to hold it in place.
After reading all the replies here, I think this is a good place to start! It looks like skies might be clear tonight here in Minneapolis/St Paul Minnesota... Mossy are you going out?
02-08-2022, 10:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by batscanner2 Quote
Mossy are you going out?
Probably not. It is scouts tonight so if I do venture out it would likely be to the park behind my house to take the A * 200/2.8 for a test drive on the little equatorial to find out where I want to run it. I did just check the NWS and it looks like it will cloud over starting at dark and be about 90% cloud cover by the time scouts is done so it is looking more like a nope for me.