Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2022, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just a 24 inch screen.... not a tv

QuoteOriginally posted by 740K70 Quote
Not to thread hijack, but to add to the question: will output to a 1080p 48 inch tv work well as a monitor or is a dedicated monitor a better solution?
Just a 24 inch screen currently on my laptop, not a tv.

---------- Post added 2022-02-10 at 11:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
If you’re still on a VGA monitor, get a replacement HDMI-connected one. The vga-hdmi adapters will give you smeary, light-bled results and are false economy. (ask me how I know….)
Thanks.... my monitor has 3 input types...... not a problem.

---------- Post added 2022-02-10 at 11:28 ----------

Thank you everyone for your input. My first choice was to go for a 16gig memory ( 12 gig minimum) desktop and that very well seems what a lot of folks here suggest,

02-10-2022, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whatever computer you buy, if Windows based, should have a Windows 11 compliant system. That means at least a 10th gen processor and TPM support. Windows 10 goes end of life in 2025.
02-10-2022, 10:15 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
Whatever computer you buy, if Windows based, should have a Windows 11 compliant system. That means at least a 10th gen processor and TPM support. Windows 10 goes end of life in 2025.
Just curious what TPM means.
02-10-2022, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 740K70 Quote
Just curious what TPM means.
Trusted Platform Module. It's a Windows security thing.

If you want a little more info on it they have a paper here: Trusted Platform Module Technology Overview (Windows) - Windows security | Microsoft Docs

02-10-2022, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Windows, then Windows 11 with TPM;
If Windows 11, then use intel Thread Director too;
If intel TD, that means 12th gen intel CPU ”Alder Lake”;
If 12th gen, then use DDR5, not DDR4 (!!) on a Z690 mainboard.
All of this is irrelevant & overkill for the OP´s requirement for the SW, that will run on most lower-spec systems.
02-10-2022, 11:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Evidently, desktop and laptop each have their own advantages. I still use my 20+ year-old Dell and ancient Adobe Photoshop Elements #1 to edit photos because it is simple, easy, fast and effective. I have found my now 5 year-old Mac Pro II laptop to be far less user friendly, but it is more secure for internet use (my old Dell is not on line, as its Windows XP is no longer supported, so I am expected to ditch all my stuff- computers, scanners, etc. but I won't), so that is what I use the laptop for.... and of great significance- I can also take it with me when I travel.
02-11-2022, 06:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the computer will not touch the internet, then that leaves a lot of leeway in the purchasing decision. If it will go online then it makes sense to purchase a computer that will get regular security updates, patches and support. Years ago, at work IT allowed dedicated test systems to run even though the OS was no longer supported (such as WinXP running in house testing software) as long as they did not touch the network. Everyone's use case is different.