Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Old KX K mount lense will not fit any of my DSLR's?!

Hey guys and girls. I have recently purchased a beautiful vintage k mount Panagor F/2,5 28mm WIDE Manual Lens. I have tryed it on all of my Pentax dslr body's but to no avail. It was orginaly from a KX body. I was wondering if anyone knew if there's a way I can mount this using an adapter or am I doing something very wrong with trying to mount it? 🤔🤣 I have included a picture of the lense in question. Thank you in advance .

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
OPPO Find X3 Pro  Photo 
02-10-2022, 11:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a pic with the mount removed. The one on the left is a traditional K mount that I'm familiar with.
On the right, is the mount from this panagor.
Attached Images

02-11-2022, 12:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the long black flange is preventing it from mounting. Some people here in the forums have cut them
02-11-2022, 12:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
the long black flange is preventing it from mounting. Some people here in the forums have cut them
Really? That's interesting. I have a Dremel that could easily do that. I assumed it has something to do with that given the extra material compared to the K mount I am familiar with. So is this not a K mount lense? I'm a bit confused

02-11-2022, 12:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
Really? That's interesting. I have a Dremel that could easily do that. I assumed it has something to do with that given the extra material compared to the K mount I am familiar with. So is this not a K mount lense? I'm a bit confused
It is K-mount, but 3rd party lens manufacturer may not 100% follow Pentax K-mount specification.
It worked fine on all K-mount cameras available when this lens was released, but on later revisions on K-mount it is no longer fully compatible without modification.

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-11-2022 at 06:39 AM.
02-11-2022, 12:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It is K-mount, but 3rd party lens manufacturer may not 100% follow Pentax K-mount specification.
It worked fine on all K-mount cameras available when this lens was released, but on later revisions on K-mount is is no longer fully compatible without modification.
Thanks mate. Makes sense.
02-11-2022, 03:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The long black flange fouls the power contacts in the mount area that are used to power in-lens motors of Pentax DSLRs from the K10D of 2006 onward.

02-11-2022, 04:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
The long black flange fouls the power contacts in the mount area that are used to power in-lens motors of Pentax DSLRs from the K10D of 2006 onward.
Thanks for the info mate. I can't even mount it to the body, let alone engaging power etc. Do you know of a thread that outlines how to carry out the mod? I don't necessarily want to just do it without some guidance if possible.
02-11-2022, 04:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've cut a few it is a simple task and easy to do.
02-11-2022, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The long flange fowls any body with a KAF2 or later mount with the power contacts, including film Valera’s such as the PZ series bodies.

You can dismount the part with the flange and cut it off.

Note this is not strictly a non compliance issue, the KAF2 mount is a 1990’s mount and lenses produced with this flang came out in the 1970’s and 80’s
02-11-2022, 05:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The long flange fowls any body with a KAF2 or later mount with the power contacts, including film Valera’s such as the PZ series bodies.

Note this is not strictly a non compliance issue, the KAF2 mount is a 1990’s mount and lenses produced with this flang came out in the 1970’s and 80’s
Ok so in relation to where the positional red marker is , do I just cut it to closely resemble the more modern K mount like in my picture above? Or do I remove all of the flange completely seeing as tho it is a manual lense?
02-11-2022, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

reviewing this article might be helpful:

QuoteQuote:
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 29, 2014

. . . . Third Party Variants of the K-mount
Pentax made the original "K" mount available for other camera manufacturers to adopt. The goal was to create a universal standard bayonet mount much like the M42 screw mount had been. Ricoh, Chinon, and others produced cameras and lenses with the "K" mount. Unfortunately, with the introduction of the "KA" mount, Pentax reversed the decision with the result that the other manufacturers either abandoned the "K" mount or developed their own, somewhat incompatible, enhancements. Several third party lens manufacturers produce or has produced lenses with a K-mount. There are no issues with current third party lenses in K-mount, but for older lenses there are two traps to watch out for:

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. . . . .
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
02-11-2022, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok so in relation to where the positional red marker is , do I just cut it to closely resemble the more modern K mount like in my picture above? Or do I remove all of the flange completely seeing as tho it is a manual lense?
Either way is fine. If you remove it completely just be careful not to bend the aperture lever.
02-11-2022, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I have had three old Vivitar lenses which such a flange. For one I simply removed it as the parts below the flange left the innards relatively well enclosed and protected from dust. For the other two I decided to trim the flange and leave it on, as removing it would have exposed the guts of the lens to dust entering some pretty big gaps. My advice is to take the flange off and decide from there depending on what you see. In any case, you have to remove the flange anyway because you can’t cut it while it’s on the lens.

Good luck with the job.
02-11-2022, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is the same. I have just updated the description in the reviews (listed with the vivitar).
I used a dremel with a diamond cutting disk. If you don't take the aperture guard piece off just protect the glass of the rear group with eg some cling film.
A good 28 imo, with a classy metal 'n glass construction. Similar ballpark to tokina rmc 28mm/ sigma miniwide II.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-11-2022 at 10:47 AM.