Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The latest firmware (v1.12) for the *ist D allows use of CF above 4GB capacity. I am currently using a 32GB CF with my *ist D.
Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I currently am using a 32gb SD card in an SD to CF adaptor in mine
Don't you guys find the camera takes an extensively long period of time to come ready with such a big card fitted?
My *istD takes over 5 seconds to become available for use with only a 4GB card (approx. 1,000 JPGs) fitted and I've noticed similar delays with other older cameras when fitted with "over-size" cards.
Am I just being over-sensitive?

02-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Don't you guys find the camera takes an extensively long period of time to come ready with such a big card fitted?
My *istD takes over 5 seconds to become available for use with only a 4GB card (approx. 1,000 JPGs) fitted and I've noticed similar delays with other older cameras when fitted with "over-size" cards.
Am I just being over-sensitive?
It’s all relative, when it was new, I thought it was reasonable to wait 10 seconds to see the shot show up on the display
02-13-2022, 06:20 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Nope. The time is the same as with a small card on my copy.

Steve
02-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
You lose the lastest firmware of the *istD but give it some higher number.

*ist-D: isde112w.exe you execute onto your harddisk at a chosen place.
You then have the actual BIN File = firmware: fwdc112b.bin

Now you have to play around

The DL firmware is called FWDC137B.BIN

You have to chose some higher number such as FWDC138.BIN

and so on until your *ist-D recognizes it.

This is what was explained (link I gave you) for the K30 with K50 firmware!

I recommended you study that link so you understand how to approach this.
I will keep that forum post handy and look through a little but I just got the 32gb cards in today and they work! So as long as I dont run into any problems, I'll probably leave it like this lmao. I can't believe I did this tbh lmaoo

---------- Post added 02-13-22 at 10:45 PM ----------

And thank you everyone for the help otherwise! Definitely learned what I needed, and I super appreciate all the help offered! Hopefully this post will help another dumb soul like myself and ease their worries xD

02-14-2022, 02:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It’s all relative, when it was new, I thought it was reasonable to wait 10 seconds to see the shot show up on the display
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope. The time is the same as with a small card on my copy.
Steve
Thanks for that … probably just "economical" me using old slow cards … I'll look into it further if needs dictate
03-05-2022, 05:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there some basic confusion about which camera we are talking about here? The *istD uses CF cards so you can't flash the firmware with an SD card unless you are using an SD to CF converter. The later models in the *istD series (DS, DS2, DL and DL2) all use SD cards.
03-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Is there some basic confusion about which camera we are talking about here? The *istD uses CF cards so you can't flash the firmware with an SD card unless you are using an SD to CF converter. The later models in the *istD series (DS, DS2, DL and DL2) all use SD cards.
I think the OP clarified that he's using a DS.

03-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's using an *istD but accidently the impossible happened: He downloaded the latest *ist-DL firmware not realizing it and... it worked, the *istD did the update.
He also uses the CF to SD-Card adapter.
03-06-2022, 12:14 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
He's using an *istD but accidently the impossible happened: He downloaded the latest *ist-DL firmware not realizing it and... it worked, the *istD did the update.
He also uses the CF to SD-Card adapter.
Am I using a CF to SD-Card adapter? From what I can tell my camera only takes SD cards, and it has a Push to Eject SD card icon under the flip latch.

But yeah, *istDL firmware flash works for the *istD, atleast from firmware 1.0 that I had, and seemingly no problems, have had a couple freezes/crashes but bounced back after popping the batteries out, as it wouldnt fully turn off in those cases.

---------- Post added 03-06-22 at 01:15 AM ----------

Ohhh didnt see this before. I probably have a DS or DS2, though it just says *istD on the body's front so idk, makes sense on the CF card and SD card confusion aha
03-06-2022, 04:05 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drab Quote
I probably have a DS or DS2, though it just says *istD on the body's front so idk, makes sense on the CF card and SD card confusion aha
The various models have slightly different badges on the front.
I don't have all of them, but this pic demonstrates the difference between the original *istD, the *istDS and the *istDL2.
Of course, it's possible your camera has "lost" it's little badge, in which case you'll need to make a more detailed comparison to ascertain exactly which model you have.
They do all vary and all have their own set of firmware releases, capabilities and limitations.

03-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So for sure you don't have an *istD, a lot of confusion possibly for the lack of precision/attention!

You can simply identify your Pentax by the logo on the bottom.
But of course that part could have been taken off or damaged due to use of a tripod.
Also as parts can be swapped it could be that you have an odd mix, parts of an *ist D on a *istDL

I am almost certain it just is an *ist DL because only the *istDL has 1.03!
All "first" *ist D firmwares have the name 1.00 no matter if *istD, DS, DS2 or *istDL or DL2

You can also check by the size of the LCD:
istD: 1,8"

istDS: 2" (I daubt you've got the *istDS2)

istDL: 2,5"
istDL2: 2,5"

The *istD and DS have a Pentaprism viewfinder

Something very quickly to solve it:
None of the *istDL versions have AF-points in the viewfinder, the AF of the *istDL was the most simple Pentax AF ever, just 3 AF sensors
the *istDL2 had at least 5 like the K-m/K2000

In a way the K-m was an advanced *istDL2 because it had shake-reduction (SR) but also no AF points in the viewfinder.
That was the disaster of the K500 which had none as well, an absolute no-go for the serious photographer using AF lenses.

Nevertheless, the K-m just with a split-image focusing screen and manual lenses was kind of a gem, because it had the advanced sensor of the K200D
over the K10D also due for better occ JPEG compression of JPEG was desired).
So the K-m was quite a handy little gem in it's way.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo