Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #1

Wrong Firmware *ist D help!

Hello! I'm glad to finally have gotten myself a DSLR after many years of wanting one. Ending up finding a *ist D with battery issues (took trying 5 pairs before it actually worked) but I accidentally screwed up with updating the firmware. I followed a forum post but completely just ignored the fact that it was for a DL not a D. Welp, I ended up updating my D to 1.03 firmware for the DL, and I can't for the life of me find the original firmware to try, and the proper firmware for the *ist D wont start flashing from this version :/ ANY help is appreciated! Idk if its causing any issues but I'd prefer to have the proper firmware xd

02-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The link for the firmware is at the bottom of the page:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
02-12-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

*ist D still listed on the Support page for Ricoh Pentax Canada
Cites version 1.12
Hope this helps
02-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Study this thread how the firmware of the K30 (modified K50 firmware) was renamed with a higher number.
It worked there but both, the K30 and K50 are very similar:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ap...available.html

Maybe it works with the ist*D but I never came across something like this.
Firmwares on my computer are stored for each Pentax in different folders.
Any original firmware for Pentax DSLR can be found on the Japan Ricohwebsite.

02-12-2022, 05:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The link for the firmware is at the bottom of the page:

So this is a weird problem I'm sure. I shouldve added more info in the post but was leaving and put the post up pretty quick. So currently my *istD is on firmware VER 1.03, which after I flashed it from my SD Card, it went from (I believe, couldnt see firmware before flashing the wrong firmware i.e Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING this one. I followed a forum post for DL firmware, mistakenly, and yeah. From what I can tell its the same other than I can't upgrade the firmware to what I'm able to download here Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING . I essentially need to reflash my camera with 1.0 firmware, or newer but its not working, or reset my firmware if possible. Its a very weird problem I seem to have created.
02-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Study this thread how the firmware of the K30 (modified K50 firmware) was renamed with a higher number.
It worked there but both, the K30 and K50 are very similar:
K-30 / K-50 Aperture Block Failue - Repair Solution available - PentaxForums.com

Maybe it works with the ist*D but I never came across something like this.
Firmwares on my computer are stored for each Pentax in different folders.
Any original firmware for Pentax DSLR can be found on the Japan Ricohwebsite.
I'll give the Japan site a go, havent been able to download anything but the latest versions here; Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING . But yeah, idk if its causing any issues but exactly I am running DL firmware on my D. So long as I am able to use the 32gb cards I ordered for the camera I wont worry too much, but if I am not able to use those then I'll need to fix this for sure.
02-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drab Quote
So long as I am able to use the 32gb cards I ordered
Even with the latest firmware, the camera can only accept 4 gb cards max. Those huge 32+ gb cards didn't exist back in 2003. You could try partitioning the 32 gb cards into 4 gb partitions. That might work, but I haven't tried it.

02-12-2022, 07:25 PM   #8

The earliest version I could find is v1.10. I don't think the v1.0 are ever available.

http://photoweb.ru/soft/isde110w.EXE

I checked the file the file through virustotal.com and it comes up clean. Just hope the default language is English in the file.

I'm surprised the you were able to flash the wrong camera's firmware in the first place. There are usually some safeguards such as specific file names per camera model as well as headers in the file. But then maybe early versions don't have these safeguards. The posts caution to make sure you use the right firmware for camera.

These safeguards may have been added to later versions which is why you can't flash the proper *ist D because the firmware is expecting DL firmware now. You may be able to get around this by hacking the header in the *ist D file to match that of the DL. As I recall some the firmware you had to hack the header in order to flash older versions over a newer one.
02-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I updated the firmware on my recently-purchased *ist D a week or so ago. The process as a bit intimidating and is unlike that used for cameras that use SD cards. Ss a result, it is possible that you did not brick your camera.

Here are a few things to try:

1. Remove the CF card from the camera and turn the camera on while pressing down on the menu button. The firmware version number should display. If it says 1.03, we may be out of luck. If it says 1.00, 1.10, or 1.11, it is time to do a happy dance since those are all *ist D firmware versions; even better is if it says 1.12, the most recent update that allows use of CF cards with capacity greater than 4GB.

2. If the above check indicated 1.03, there may still be a solution using the so-called "debug" menu for the *ist D. Exploring this option is something that would require assistance from someone skilled with the tool.

Steve
02-12-2022, 07:35 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Even with the latest firmware, the camera can only accept 4 gb cards max.
The latest firmware (v1.12) for the *ist D allows use of CF above 4GB capacity. I am currently using a 32GB CF with my *ist D.

Steve
02-13-2022, 12:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The latest firmware (v1.12) for the *ist D allows use of CF above 4GB capacity. I am currently using a 32GB CF with my *ist D.

Steve
I stand corrected - I had no idea - thanks Steve.
02-13-2022, 01:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The earliest version I could find is v1.10. I don't think the v1.0 are ever available.

http://photoweb.ru/soft/isde110w.EXE

I checked the file the file through virustotal.com and it comes up clean. Just hope the default language is English in the file.

I'm surprised the you were able to flash the wrong camera's firmware in the first place. There are usually some safeguards such as specific file names per camera model as well as headers in the file. But then maybe early versions don't have these safeguards. The posts caution to make sure you use the right firmware for camera.

These safeguards may have been added to later versions which is why you can't flash the proper *ist D because the firmware is expecting DL firmware now. You may be able to get around this by hacking the header in the *ist D file to match that of the DL. As I recall some the firmware you had to hack the header in order to flash older versions over a newer one.
So it's just showing the Version 1.03 and not attempting to flash when I use that so I assume I'd have to try hacking the header, but I'll have to look into that and honestly will only do it if 32gb cards are not accepted, lookin like that's gonna be my options. I really messed myself up here huh lmao. and yeah it was completely my fault, was super tired when I finally got it to work and realised midway thru the firmware flash but didnt wanna screw it up by stopping mid flash, atleast it isnt bricked fr ahh
02-13-2022, 01:12 AM   #13

Original Poster
I updated the firmware on my recently-purchased *ist D a week or so ago. The process as a bit intimidating and is unlike that used for cameras that use SD cards. Ss a result, it is possible that you did not brick your camera.

Here are a few things to try:

1. Remove the CF card from the camera and turn the camera on while pressing down on the menu button. The firmware version number should display. If it says 1.03, we may be out of luck. If it says 1.00, 1.10, or 1.11, it is time to do a happy dance since those are all *ist D firmware versions; even better is if it says 1.12, the most recent update that allows use of CF cards with capacity greater than 4GB.

2. If the above check indicated 1.03, there may still be a solution using the so-called "debug" menu for the *ist D. Exploring this option is something that would require assistance from someone skilled with the tool.

Steve
It does only show as Ver 1.03 sadly, but the debug mode is good to know about. Not a Number mentioned hacking the header, would that be from the debug mode or something different? Gonna do more research now that I know the stuff to look for properly, but also probably will only do this if 1.03 works with 32gb cards, I can only hope aaa
02-13-2022, 05:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drab Quote
It does only show as Ver 1.03 sadly, but the debug mode is good to know about. Not a Number mentioned hacking the header, would that be from the debug mode or something different? Gonna do more research now that I know the stuff to look for properly, but also probably will only do this if 1.03 works with 32gb cards, I can only hope aaa
You lose the lastest firmware of the *istD but give it some higher number.

*ist-D: isde112w.exe you execute onto your harddisk at a chosen place.
You then have the actual BIN File = firmware: fwdc112b.bin

Now you have to play around

The DL firmware is called FWDC137B.BIN

You have to chose some higher number such as FWDC138.BIN

and so on until your *ist-D recognizes it.

This is what was explained (link I gave you) for the K30 with K50 firmware!

I recommended you study that link so you understand how to approach this.
02-13-2022, 05:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve
+1

I currently am using a 32gb SD card in an SD to CF adaptor in mine