Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #1

Lenses and body

Hi, I own 2 Pentax ME and have some k mount after market lenses. I would like to buy a dark body that my lenses will work with. Need info on what would be a good body for me to buy. Thank you.

02-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David57 Quote
Hi, I own 2 Pentax ME and have some k mount after market lenses. I would like to buy a dark body that my lenses will work with. Need info on what would be a good body for me to buy. Thank you.
Might help to know what a dark body is? And which aftermarket lenses? What is the goal - what kind of photography do you like?
02-13-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean a "black" body? Is that what you mean by dark? There are many available including black versions of your Pentax ME.

The answer above assumes that you want a film body. If you want a digital body, most of them are dark/black.

Regards

Chris
02-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do you mean a DSLR ?

02-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By "dark body" do you mean digital instead of for film use?
02-13-2022, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I do not know where the "dark" wording came from. I just want info on a digital body I can use my k mount after market lenses with.
02-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!

All Pentax DSLRs except for the medium format 645d and 645z (also the Q series can't, although they are mirrorless and not DSLRs) can use K mount lenses natively (The K01 also uses K mount, it was a mirrorless).

That means most of the Pentax digital cameras will work with your lenses. Anything with a K in the name. Just avoid anything with a Q or 645.

The new K3iii has the most convenient features for shooting with manual aperture lenses (those with no "A" setting on the aperture ring), but older bodies can use those lenses as well, with a pretty easy metering step. Lenses with an "A" on the aperture ring, whether manual focus or autofocus, should work with all K mount digital bodies.

If you let us know what your budget is, tell us precisely which lenses you are planning on using, and maybe include what styles of photography you're into, we can probably give more targeted advice.

Last edited by wadge22; 02-13-2022 at 07:27 PM.
02-13-2022, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These all will work:
Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

However realistically the models I suggest are any of the 16mp cameras or 24mp cameras as the low light capability was refined quite well by then. The 20mp kS1 and ks2 are also good options.

What is your budget and what are your interests in photography. Do you think you want autofocus or autoaperture control? Do you need the lenses to have the same angle of coverage? Only the K-1/K-1ii offers the same angle of coverage all other dslr offerings in K Mount are crop bodies where the lenses will have a narrower coverage than you are used to with the ME. (For example a 35mm on the K-1 is a wide angle, on the KP it is a normal lens. A 50 on the k-1 is a normal lens on the K-3 it is a portrait short telephoto. The focal length you select for a specific use is thus a little different when using a crop camera.
02-14-2022, 02:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As said before, all lenses that work on your Pentax ME will also work on all Pentax DSLRs.
How well the lenses will be compatible depends on the kind of lenses you have:
-lenses with AF are fully compatible (like the F or FA series of Pentax) -> KAF mount
-lenses with A-setting on the aperture ring are fully compatible with all exposure modes (Av, M, Sv,...), but you have to select the focal length in the camera manually (for correct exif-data and the shake-reduction system - this can be tricky for zoom lenses) -> KA mount
-lenses without A-setting (Pentax-K or M lenses for instance) will only work properly in M-mode + the same focal length issue as with A lenses applies (the new K-3iii has some features that improve compatibility for those kind of lenses further) -> K mount

Some old Vivitar lenses (and a few other branded lenses) have a longer protection shield for the aperture lever than usual. Those have to be trimmed to fit onto a DSLR -> easily doable yourself in about 5 minutes; no problem whatsoever, just something to be aware of
02-14-2022, 02:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
As said before, all lenses that work on your Pentax ME will also work on all Pentax DSLRs.
Some old Vivitar lenses (and a few other branded lenses) have a longer protection shield for the aperture lever than usual. Those have to be trimmed to fit onto a DSLR -> easily doable yourself in about 5 minutes; no problem whatsoever, just something to be aware of
A brief addition here … some lenses or accessories designed for use with some Ricoh film SLRs, which had an otherwise "normal" PK-mount, have an extra pin on the mount that may be problematic on a modern Pentax DSLR.
Not a game-changer and easily dealt with, but also something to be aware of
Enjoy!
02-14-2022, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a very useful tool here at the forums allows you to compare up to 4 cameras

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Pentax makes two full frame [ same size as the old 35mm film negative ] sensor DSLR camera bodies

the K 1 and K 1 II

all others use the smaller ASP-C sensor

these charts are helpful:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
https://mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens which is not singled out, look under DA lenses, etc. . . .
https://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

it might be helpful to review this article

QuoteQuote:
Which Pentax Camera to Choose in 2022?
Selecting the right Pentax camera for your photography needs
By wadge22 in Gear Guides on Feb 14, 2022

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/choosing-pentax-dslr-model...#ixzz7Ks0UUhN0

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-14-2022 at 05:13 AM.
02-14-2022, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David57 Quote
I do not know where the "dark" wording came from. I just want info on a digital body I can use my k mount after market lenses with.
Probably autocorrupt trying to translate DSLR !