Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 09:45 PM   #91
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MESuperian Quote
Pentax should make an affordable entry level full frame camera, that all this old glass would shoot.
Going by your user name, you already have an affordable K-mount full frame camera.

If you want a FF DSLR for $500, it's just a matter of time. Wait 10 years and you will be able to get a K-1.

02-19-2022, 05:45 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Going by your user name, you already have an affordable K-mount full frame camera.

If you want a FF DSLR for $500, it's just a matter of time. Wait 10 years and you will be able to get a K-1.
Once upon a time not really so long ago, when a young person graduated high school or college, or for a birthday or Christmas, a traditional gift, was a good 35mm camera kit.

Unlike today, that camera was considered a lifetime gift.

I still own my 1983 Canon AE-1 Program I was gifted from my father and mother in law. It still works.

But I use my ME Super when I shoot film because it’s a much better toy. It’s sort of like an Olympus PL-1 that still shoots film. It’s small, handy, hefty, and wouldn’t intimidate subjects.

Pentax needs a new, small, neat, desirable full frame camera to start young people out on photography.

My 2009 K-x checks about all the blanks for a new camera Pentax could never keep up with demand.

It needs to have a silver edition.

It absolutely must be full frame.

And the last lithium batteries I put in my K-x are still going strong after over a thousand shots. Make it USB-C charging.

I own an Olympus 75-300 lens and a Mark 5.2 OMD I thought was the bee’s knees for wildlife.

And while I’ll still use my MFT gear for documenting life in the Ozarks, I’m totally a Pentaxian now about long lenses, and incredibly good autofocus.

My K-x will stabilize that 300mm lens to over four stops.

My Pentax uses an optical viewfinder with zero lag.

And somehow it looks like what I think a camera should.
Attached Images

02-19-2022, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I had one that did that. I found a bit of (thin) 3M 2-sided tape did the trick.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-19-22 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have also had that issue withthe 35-70mm. Only 1/2" at one end was unstuck so I did not have a positioning problem. I have glued it down with Alpha Thixofix which is a kind of contact adhesive that allows a little adjustment before it grabs. I did not need the adjustment in my case, but it also has the advantage of not creating the "cobwebs" that ordinary contact adhesive makes. Wrapped it with some strong rubbe bands while it dried and has been OK for 6 months so far.
Thanks!

Now I have two viable suggestions for an easy fix.

---------- Post added 02-19-22 at 05:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
and once again came to the conclusion that the difference in iso performance with the K1ii upgrade is real but not huge. The biggest aspect of the jump is specific to SOOC JPGs.
Not huge, but perhaps significant for some. From specs and all I have seen stated between these models, in the KP, K-1 II, and now the K-3 III, the improvement for higher ISO performance has been due to the same technology, with the latest version of that technology in the K-3 III. But if one's long-established shooting needs rarely require higher ISO, then this advancement on its own is not worth paying for.

---------- Post added 02-19-22 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
- The K3ii to K3iii, on the other hand, seems plainly like a more drastic difference than you're portraying it. Everything I've seen/read shows that it does take much better shots at high ISO as you mention, but that's hardly the only important change. The interface is quite different (a third control wheel means a whole lot to me, at least, not to mention the joystick and touchscreen and new menus and more customization); the viewfinder is much improved and ballyhooed; the autofocus system is completely revamped, including new functionality such as eye tracking (of course AF speed does depend much on the lens, which you allude to); the burst rate is drastically faster (as you point out); new metering system; better SR; and on and on.
It sure doesn't seem like getting a K3ii plus a nice lens is anywhere near the same thing as getting the new model. I don't have either camera (I'm absolutely saving for a K3iii though), so I'll once again defer to you on that point from here on out. But I would caution OP about coming to his conclusions based on what you've written there. K3iii is plainly a whole new generation of camera compared to K3ii.
I should have qualified what I said- I did not mean to over-simplify the advancements present in the K-3 III by ignoring some of its new features. I was taking a hard look at the features, performance, etc. for many months, to determine whether I would be interested in acquiring one, and came to the conclusion the increase in AF speed is a design goal that has been realized, and that it is tied into the advancement in FPS for more successful burst shooting. Makes sense. But as to this and the new features, no doubt they hold a lot of appeal for some, but it depends again on how useful the individual might find them according to individual needs. I very rarely use burst shooting. Other models have their special features, which are lacking in the K-3 III. In my own case, in using other devices I've found I dislike touch screens. According to my needs, I'd rather have a built-in flash for grab shots and instantaneous outdoor fill use, and a pull-out screen, as I have on my KP. So I bought the K-1 II instead so now I can benefit from the FF 36mp technology and use some of my great old FF lenses in their original FOV. No built-in flash, but Pentax makes a minuscule hot shoe WR flash which has yet more power and a tilt head for ceiling bounce or closeups, and since the K-1 II is already a large, weighty camera, this very pocketable flash is a viable solution. Some people find a built-in GPS to be a very important feature for them.

I like the new controls design, similar to those on my KP and K-1 II. But the top LCD is compromised, as it is on the K-1 II, yet better to have one than none. I especially like the old-style mechanical on-body levers and switches of my K-5 IIs, and it has a larger top LCD, easier to read.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-19-2022 at 06:00 PM.
02-19-2022, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MESuperian Quote
But that K-70 is just a fancier version of my $100 K-x. It’s not full frame.
The K-70 has very little in common with your K-x and is, in my mind at least, not really an entry-level camera. It is smaller and lighter than the KP while providing functionality worthy of a full backup for any of the K-3 series bodies. As for not being full frame, it is also not medium format.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2022 at 06:34 PM.
02-19-2022, 06:28 PM - 2 Likes   #95
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really think the "out resolves the sensor" issue isn't a big deal.
Agreed, I have found that my true vintage and "film era" lenses* provide performance equal to the challenge of the pixel pitch of the 24Mpx sensor on my K-3.

Steve

* Yes, that includes the Russian/Soviet stuff...
02-20-2022, 11:12 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The long lens does work, and I’m more than pleased with it.

The entire cost of this kit was about $50 for the body and $25 for the lens.

And the lens will fit the next Pentax body I buy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-25-2022, 05:46 AM   #97
Pentaxian

I think the only FF digital cameras that can be had for under $500 now are used A7s, D700s, D600s and 5D Mark IIs. Maybe some others if they've been through the wars or have very high shutter counts.