Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Camera buying advice

Hi mates

I've been away from the forum for a while. I earlier had Pentax K-r. I now own a bridge camera from Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. Since I was away for a while, lost track of whats going on in the Pentax world.
Could you all please suggest some (Pentax) compact body camera/small dslr that can support compact affordable prime lenses (normal (35mm) and one medium zoom (50mm or 80 mm range) with wide aperture). If possible, the body to have inbuilt stabilization and 4K video support. I don't mind a fixed lens but with wide-open aperture or a single focal length compact.

When I visit the Ricoh website it is very confusing, it mentions Q lens but not sure where the bodies are listed. Only a handful of models are there - maybe I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

02-20-2022, 10:32 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This article might be helpful:
Which Pentax Camera to Choose in 2022? - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

All recent models have built in stabilization, but only the K-3 III has 4K. Unfortunately there are no more bridge cameras, but there is the GR III and IIIx if you are looking for something compact.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Afaik the only Pentax DSLR to support 4k is the K-3 III.

As for your other requirements, you should look at this forum's camera and lens reviews, they are loaded with information.
02-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the OP's wants/needs, pending further information it seems like an m4/3 system would be most suitable.

02-20-2022, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Hi mates

I've been away from the forum for a while. I earlier had Pentax K-r. I now own a bridge camera from Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. Since I was away for a while, lost track of whats going on in the Pentax world.
Could you all please suggest some (Pentax) compact body camera/small dslr that can support compact affordable prime lenses (normal (35mm) and one medium zoom (50mm or 80 mm range) with wide aperture). If possible, the body to have inbuilt stabilization and 4K video support. I don't mind a fixed lens but with wide-open aperture or a single focal length compact.
Compact would be the K-70 but not 4k.
If one spends money on a K3III I think affordable primes such as the DA35/50 are kind of a mismatch.
Better spend money on a K70, forget about 4k and have good lenses (but maybe you mean lenses you already own?)
02-20-2022, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the forums has a great tool

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

and there is this tool as well

https://camerasize.com/compare/#873,677
02-20-2022, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #7

There are plenty of compact prime lenses for the current K-70 and K-3 III. The DA 35 is definitely affordable. The DA 35 Limited is still affordable IMHO but may be too expensive for your taste. As for a wide-aperture "medium" zoom in the 50-80 mm range, the DA* 50-135 mm F2.8 is available and not too expensive.

02-21-2022, 04:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Looking at the OP's wants/needs, pending further information it seems like an m4/3 system would be most suitable.
Hi @luftfluss - the M 4/3 you are referring to are the GRIII and GRIIIx? What are the Q lenses for? This is where I am getting lost when I visit the Ricoh website.

thanks
S

---------- Post added 02-21-22 at 03:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Compact would be the K-70 but not 4k.
If one spends money on a K3III I think affordable primes such as the DA35/50 are kind of a mismatch.
Better spend money on a K70, forget about 4k and have good lenses (but maybe you mean lenses you already own?)
Thanks - no I dont have my 35mm prime anymore. I regret giving it away.

---------- Post added 02-21-22 at 03:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This article might be helpful:
Which Pentax Camera to Choose in 2022? - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

All recent models have built in stabilization, but only the K-3 III has 4K. Unfortunately there are no more bridge cameras, but there is the GR III and IIIx if you are looking for something compact.
Thanks and I will go through the link!

Cheers
S
02-21-2022, 05:28 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . What are the Q lenses for? This is where I am getting lost when I visit the Ricoh website.

thanks
S . . .
take a look

this section of the forums has reviews of the Pentax Q cameras

Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

This section of the forums has reviews of the Pentax Q lenses at the bottom:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Q series
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pentax Q series is a series of mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras made by Pentax and introduced in 2011 with the initial model Pentax Q.[1] As of September 2012, it was the world's smallest, lightest interchangeable lens digital camera.[2] The first models used a 1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm) back-illuminated sensor CMOS image sensor. The Q7, introduced in June 2013, uses a larger 1/1.7" type sensor (7.44 x 5.58 mm).[3] The Q system is now discontinued.[4] . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_Q_series

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-21-2022 at 05:34 AM.
02-21-2022, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi @luftfluss - the M 4/3 you are referring to are the GRIII and GRIIIx? What are the Q lenses for? This is where I am getting lost when I visit the Ricoh website.

thanks
S

---------- Post added 02-21-22 at 03:33 PM ----------

Thanks - no I dont have my 35mm prime anymore. I regret giving it away.

---------- Post added 02-21-22 at 03:35 PM ----------

Thanks and I will go through the link!

Cheers
S
The Q system is/was about a 10-year-old small-sensor mirrorless ILC with dedicated lenses only for that format. The Q-S1 is the newest of that series, released in 2014. It does not have 4K video. It does not have a built-in viewfinder of any type, although there is a viewfinder accessory that functions somewhat like a rangefinder camera's. Some people really like their Qs, but the sensor is as small as or smaller than a newer cell phone's, but without all that modern cellphone processing to make up for the limitations of the format.

The 35mm f/2.4 is a fine lens for APS-C format cameras, although pairing it with a $2000 K-3 III (the only Pentax body with 4K video) is perhaps not optimal. It's a ~$100 lens with somewhat noisy screwdrive autofocus and all-plastic construction. If you want this camera with 4K video in mind you might want a lens with a silent, built-in autofocus motor. But those can be quite a bit more expensive. Pentax also has a number of small pancake prime lenses like the 40mm Limited, and the 21mm Limited. I have both and enjoy them quite a lot, although they also use screwdrive autofocus.

Pentax does not make any M4/3rds cameras or lenses. I believe Panasonic and Olympus are the main companies that make those, although that system seems to have waned in popularity recently. They're smaller sensors, but usually smaller cameras and lenses than even the smallest Pentax offerings. There are some M4/3rds that are quite good at video.

If you can drop the requirement for 4K video then perhaps a K-70 with something like a 20-40 Limited would be fine. Although no Pentax camera is made with video at the forefront; my opinion is that they're all very good stills cameras with the ability to do video in a pinch.
02-21-2022, 05:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are the Q lenses for?
The Q lenses are for a series of ultra compact Interchangeable lens (ILC) cameras there was the Q, Q10 and Q7. These camera’s used a P&S sensor, with a crop factor of roughly 5, in the 10-12mp range.

There were two zooms that provided an equivalent focal length range of about 20-250mm, and some fixed focal length lenses including a fisheye. The lenses all incorporated an iris which doubled also as the shutter offering flash sync up to (I think) 1/2000 . In total I think there were 6 lenses.

There was also a K mount to Q adaptor with integral leaf shutter offering shutter speeds up to 1/1000.

It was a great little camera but it has not been made for quite some time.
02-21-2022, 05:48 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The Q system is/was about a 10-year-old small-sensor mirrorless ILC with dedicated lenses only for that format. . . .
@sany

interestingly Pentax also produced another mirrorless ILC camera the K 01 with an APS-C sized sensor (16 x 24 mm)

QuoteQuote:
The PENTAX K-01, introduced in 2012, is an industry first. It is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (MILC) with an APS-C sized sensor (16 x 24 mm) that takes the full range of legacy K-mount Pentax SLR/DSLR lenses and accessories as well as the new XS series ultra-compact lenses. Recently introduced mirrorless cameras from other brands with APS-C (or smaller) sized sensors have lens mounts incompatible with the DSLR/SLR cameras of those brands. Pentax has once again shown its commitment to its customers by not obsolescing their lens collection.

See our In-Depth K-01 Review - Pentax K-01 Review - Review Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

See the Pentax K-01 Exclusive Overview - Pentax K-01 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

The Pentax K01 camera is designed by the well-known industrial designer Marc Newson, so Pentax has not just focused on the technical specifications, but also paid attention to the looks and feel of this new camera.

The K-01 uses the 16.3 MP Sony sensor similar to the one used in the PENTAX K-5, so the K-01 makes the excellent image quality and high dynamic range of the K-5 available in a more compact and less expensive package.

Being mirrorless, the K-01 uses the imaging sensor for auto-focus (contrast detect) and exposure metering, but has inherited the floating sensor shake reduction mechanism from the Pentax DSLRs. The autofocus system has 81 focus points.

The lens mount is of the KAF2 type without aperture ring coupler. This means that all current KAF/KAF2/KAF3 K-mount and legacy K-mount lenses can be used although the oldest generations, K- and M-series lenses, must be used with stop down metering. 645 and 67 format lenses can be used with adapters. The lens mount supports autofocus for drive shaft as well as SDM autofocus lenses. Lenses with the KAF4 mount variant introduced in 2016 cannot be used.

The K-01 offers a wide sensitivity range from ISO 100 to ISO 51,600, and a wide range of shutter speeds from 1/4000 sec to 30 seconds and the full range of shutter speeds are available at all F-stops, something that is not a given for a mirrorless camera.

A HDR (High Dynamic Range) shooting mode has been added to the exposure mode dial which makes it easy to engage this mode. The mode dial also has settings for scene modes of which there are 19, and Auto-Pict, a mode which based on an analysis of the scene will pick the optimal scene mode.

The K-01 has an upgraded video capability as compared to current and past Pentax DSLRs. It offers full HD-proportion movie recording at 1920 x 1080 pixels at 24, 25 and 30 fps, and 720p HD recording up to 60 fps, and a built-in stereo microphone. There is also a connector for an external stereo microphone.

The K-01 has no view finder. The LCD monitor is used for composing the image. There is a choice of four image aspect ratios: 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1, and a 4x4 or 3x3 grid can be superimposed to aid composition.

Discuss the K01 in our Dedicated K-01 Forum - Pentax K-01 - PentaxForums.com

Camera Manuals: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-01.pdf
Read more at: Pentax K-01 - Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

and the best lens in its class [ of 0ne ] and the smallest currently Pentax made DSLR lens was created for it

QuoteQuote:
The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-21-2022 at 06:13 AM.
02-22-2022, 09:42 AM   #13
Forum Member

As already mentioned- Q is an older (long gone) Pentax system. (I own one, although it doesn’t get much action)

For portable, swappable, 4K- my go to is Panasonic/Lumix. Of the current models-G9, GX9 or 95 the 85… the list goes on.

If you find yourself primarily shooting in the 24-70mm range- LUMIX L100 variant.

If you are considering going to the big two “darkside” (based on price and portability) Z5 or z50.
I love Pentax ergonomics and ethos for stills, not for video.
02-22-2022, 02:25 PM   #14

Hi mates

When I visit the Ricoh website it is very confusing, it mentions Q lens but not sure where the bodies are listed. Only a handful of models are there - maybe I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.
I agree, their website (https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/products-compare/) is confusing. Not sure what site you'd use in your country, though. And this might help you sort out who they are these days: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax#Europe_and_Asia
And all the above members of the forum have inserted great links.
02-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi mates

Thanks in advance.
Ricoh, in brief : today there is a DSLR line, the GR line and the Theta 360⁰.
Q is an older system, lenses still available...

The DSLR isn’t the most compact as it still uses an optical viewfinder with prisma’s - which is a deliberate choice !
There is a bigger fullframe sensor K1 and slightly smaller APSc sensor K3 & K70 camera's.
The K70 is the more compact and cheaper one - entry model. One might still find a KP which is even more compact body but recently production stopped. KP is medium price range.
The pentax DSLR’S are primary photo camera's, and video is less advanced.
The K3 III has the better video features including 4k, it is also the newest model. Read here: Pentax K-3 Mark III Review - Movie Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews .
Unfortunately it is also the more expensive one of the current models, together withe fullframe K1
Some of the newest pentax lenses tend to become bigger to improve image quality with more correction lenses and support fullframe (FA types)...but there are many smaller lenses , especially for the aps-c format K70 or K3II (DA types). The smallest are pancake type lenses - typically about 40mm or the DA aps-c lenses in the 20mm to 70 mm range,

I attach a picture of K70 with a DA 50mm f1.8 , a K3II with a DA 10-17 mm fisheye and a Lumix fz1000...so you can compare sizes.
Note that I tried to show contemporary smaller DA lenses on the DSLR's, in about the same size range as you indicated above, not the same zoom or focal length as the lumix - which i guess compares more to a larger DSLR 18-300mm zoom lens - the lens size would be more similar.

In the end it is a price , size versus video issue...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-P610  Photo