Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2022, 04:17 AM   #1

Two questions re sticky on-off switch (K-5IIs)

I have a K-5IIs body that has recently been developing a rather sticky on-off switch. I tried a drop of isopropyl alcohol, which promptly made matters worse. I followed that up with a drop of olive oil, and that made it better, but it's still not back to like-new operation. The camera has been well cared for and has a shutter count of approx 11,225. All other functions work properly. My next move was going to be adding another drop of olive oil, but wanted to run it by folks here first.

Two questions:

> Are there other treatments that have proven successful? The only other one I've read about is running water over the switch, and then letting it dry.

> If the switch seriously worsens, is there any significant reason why you couldn't just leave it in the 'on' position, as the camera will eventually power-off by itself, and then restart by depressing the shutter button half way.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this!

02-28-2022, 05:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem with my K7. But it is my old (backup?) camera, so no real issue for me.
02-28-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I once spilled beer on it. Has been sticky ever since.
02-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I personally would never use an oil - vegetable or otherwise. I would, however, use a silicon based product or electrical contact cleaner.

Initially though, I'd take a good look at what's causing the stickiness. Grit, liquid spill etc, as knowing the cause could lead to the best/correct fix.

02-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I personally would never use an oil - vegetable or otherwise. I would, however, use a silicon based product or electrical contact cleaner.

Initially though, I'd take a good look at what's causing the stickiness. Grit, liquid spill etc, as knowing the cause could lead to the best/correct fix.
Agreed, and even silicone oil could be risky if it gets onto the contact area as it is a dielectric (insulator) and can create issues with electrical contacts. Best to have a service shop take a look-see as JohnX suggested. If it's grit, you want to get it out of there.
02-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
I have a K-5IIs body that has recently been developing a rather sticky on-off switch. I tried a drop of isopropyl alcohol, which promptly made matters worse. I followed that up with a drop of olive oil, and that made it better, but it's still not back to like-new operation.

The camera has been well cared for and has a shutter count of approx 11,225. All other functions work properly. My next move was going to be adding another drop of olive oil, but wanted to run it by folks here first.
Not a good idea!
The oil can penetrate and do damage to the WR sealing!

Check this tutorial (and forget the gubble that followed:

Manual/Repair/clean On-Off-Switch / Shutter-Release-Button - PentaxForums.com

Are there other treatments that have proven successful? The only other one I've read about is running water over the switch, and then letting it dry
I tried that and I protected the camera against any water intrusion but used very warm water (that is how it is recommended)
But it didn't do much.

If the switch seriously worsens, is there any significant reason why you couldn't just leave it in the 'on' position, as the camera will eventually power-off by itself, and then restart by depressing the shutter button half way.
The danger with the oil is now more serious and because it is an ON/OFF Switch + Shutter-Release the oil can reach the contacts.
It can mix with the dirt (Usually from sweat etc. from one's fingers, if worse beer or coke etc.)
So no, letting power switch off autmatically is not critical but that eventually you can't use the shutter-release anymore.

The quicker you open your Pentax and take it on the better!
02-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Many thanks for your replies.

02-28-2022, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #8

Same with my K-5ii. I got a sticky on-off switch too. After smooth and careful treatment with contact cleaner for electonical elements it works since then like new. Try to apply the cleaner with the cam top down and several times. Good luck!
B. J.
02-28-2022, 08:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had an issue with a sticky switch on my K-x (left it on the table at a family gathering and found it covered with spots of dried soda, grrr... at least it wasn't soaked). I sprayed a tiny bit of contact cleaner at it and used a piece of dental floss to slip underneath and wipe out the dried sugary solution. That did the trick for me. But that's not a weather-sealed body, so I didn't have to worry about fouling any of the seals.
02-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Contact cleaner is not a good idea.

It will damage the WR seal and on long term damage the ultra thin gold-coating of the contacts.
03-01-2022, 01:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter

If your efforts so far with rather aggressive fluids haven't damaged the WR seal, I would try water. Water is always my go-to solvent when it comes to sticky things.
03-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I have a K-5 with a stiff (not necessarily sticky) on/off switch. My camera is extremely clean and has not been subject to any dousing with cola or similar (unless my wife did that when I wasn't looking...always a possibility I suppose...) .

Anyway, it gets worse when the camera has been sitting idle for a while and it's worse whenever I'm using the camera in cold weather which makes me think that it is actually the WR seal itself which is the culprit. Maybe it's drying out and has begun to lose its flexibility?

Does anyone know if this might be a potential reason for the OP's problem (and mine)?

Just bumped into this old thread on the same subject: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5-k-5-ii/164311-k-5-power-d...tuck-help.html

Last edited by photocles; 03-01-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added a link to old thread
03-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photocles Quote
Anyway, it gets worse when the camera has been sitting idle for a while and it's worse whenever I'm using the camera in cold weather which makes me think that it is actually the WR seal itself which is the culprit. Maybe it's drying out and has begun to lose its flexibility?
Does anyone know if this might be a potential reason for the OP's problem (and mine)?
I’ve been wondering about this as well. Per my comments above, when I tried isopropyl alcohol, the switch worsened, seemingly drying out the seal even more. When then following with a drop of olive oil, my hope was that it would rejuvenate the seal & smooth out the switch. Thus far, that seems to have been the case. The switch has improved, and the shutter button continues to operate normally.
03-03-2022, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It isn't very difficult to get right to the switch itself. A few screws just to lift the top.

I have cleaned many of them, from *ist-D-days up to the first WR versions of the K10D, K20D, K7 and K5.

And, with age creeping in my hands are sometimes shaky and my eyesight "ages" as well.

When I wrote this tutorial it was for a forum-member who had problems with his *ist and as I had a damaged *ist right there to get the solenoids I took the chance to write the tutorial. And then just had photos of the non-WR versions as I had not WR Pentax open at that time.

You will only solve it for real by cleaning the switch, it takes me 20 minutes and is easier than replacing the solenoid in Pentax bodies with ABF.
No soldering involved, it is all very logical.
03-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used distilled water on my K7, did the trick. Still works fine.