Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Possibly? It does seem to open a little more if I press it outward. Still.pretty stoped down though. One thing I've noticed is that the lever doesn't have enough movement to the left to open the aperture much.
Interesting. Sounds like it may be bent inside the lens or something else mechanical is botched. I expect you will need to open it - and I'm not able to advise further as I have limited skills in that area. Alternatively someone local who works on lenses might be willing to give it a go.

03-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting. Sounds like it may be bent inside the lens or something else mechanical is botched. I expect you will need to open it - and I'm not able to advise further as I have limited skills in that area. Alternatively someone local who works on lenses might be willing to give it a go.
OK. Thanks for your advice. I think I'll try to find a diagram of the design before opening.
05-17-2022, 06:32 PM   #18

I made a bargain purchase of a used Pentax DA 18-135 a few months ago. Yesterday, I cleaned the lens and camera contacts because I had noticed some focus hunting the last time I had used the lens. Today, the lens will not lock autofocus at all and will not fire in the Focus-priority setting. It will fire in Release-priority, but images are not in focus. Live view focus works fine. I tried it on both the KP and K5IIs.

If any one has had a DA 18-135 with similar problems, did you find any remedy? The lens is past the return date for a refund.
I had this lens with my KP and the autofocus did not work at all. It gave me an error message when I mounted it. Worked fine in manual focus mode.

I bought it used from B&H, so maybe I just got a bad one, not sure. I looked at the brochure on the Ricoh website and they actually didn't list the KP under compatible models, so I wondered if maybe it was not compatible with the KP. I returned it and bought the 18-55, which is an even more disappointing lens. Now I kind of wish I had tried another 18-135.

I'm curious if anyone has had success using the 18-135 on a KP.
05-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pedirob Quote
I had this lens with my KP and the autofocus did not work at all. It gave me an error message when I mounted it. Worked fine in manual focus mode.

I bought it used from B&H, so maybe I just got a bad one, not sure. I looked at the brochure on the Ricoh website and they actually didn't list the KP under compatible models, so I wondered if maybe it was not compatible with the KP. I returned it and bought the 18-55, which is an even more disappointing lens. Now I kind of wish I had tried another 18-135.

Of course the DA18-135 works on the KP (I have the KP and had the 18-135).
I don't understand why one buys a KP but low-level lenses.
You'd be better off with a K5 or K30 but good lenses.
Not saying that the DA18-135 is bad, but it won't get the best out of a KP.

A DA16-45ED is a great and cheap lens if in good condition. A Sigma 18-50/2,8 DC HSM is not bad either.
Even an old F35-70 is good (and very cheap).

But forget the 18-55!

05-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made a bargain purchase of a used Pentax DA 18-135 a few months ago. Yesterday, I cleaned the lens and camera contacts because I had noticed some focus hunting the last time I had used the lens. Today, the lens will not lock autofocus at all and will not fire in the Focus-priority setting. It will fire in Release-priority, but images are not in focus. Live view focus works fine. I tried it on both the KP and K5IIs.

If any one has had a DA 18-135 with similar problems, did you find any remedy? The lens is past the return date for a refund.
I had a similar problem with my DA 18-35. I bought it new and used it only lightly since it was used mainly while I went on vacation. One day it developed a problem in which it would not focus in auto or manual mode when used on my K70. I tried my DA 12-24 on the K70 and it worked perfectly, so I knew the lens was the issue. I posted my problem in these Forums on 8/31/20 and received advice from a number of respondents but I could not fix the problem. I sent the lens to Eric and he returned it saying that he could not get parts from Ricoh. One of the Forum respondents offered to buy the lens if it was cheap enough, and he would try to fix it himself. I sold it to him for $20 but I never heard if he fixed or not. I liked the lens a lot so I bought a used one to replace it. As others have mentioned, I believe there are a few lemons in the DA18-135 stable and you and I found them. Good luck in your quest to fix the problem.
05-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pedirob Quote

This is surprising. I've used it many times on my KP when I need its versatility and need to reduce lens changing. In fact, its AF is one of the quickest and surest among the many zoom lenses I have. Even quite so on my older K-5 IIs, which usually lags behind the KP's AF when using screw-driven AF lenses. Otherwise, I often use one of my Limited prime lenses, or very often my DA 20-40mm Ltd for its compact carrying, or my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 when I need its larger aperture, and these I sometimes combine with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 when I need the aperture range with highest quality. Great for low light use, especially on the KP.

The DA 18-55mm kit lens does not compare even close to the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens, in build, imaging capability, or AF speed and accuracy. I used to have one.

It seems clear to me, you must have received a defective DA 18-135mm lens, since AF works fine with your other lenses. I bought mine new over 10 years ago, and it is still fine, delivering very good, high-quality images. Just needing to stop it down a little for best results.

---------- Post added 05-17-22 at 10:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I liked the lens a lot so I bought a used one to replace it. As others have mentioned, I believe there are a few lemons in the DA18-135 stable and you and I found them. Good luck in your quest to fix the problem
It is true that any lens made can have problems. But from what I've seen it is comparatively rare with this lens. I have actually seen more issues arise in postings here regarding the DA 16-85mm lens. Some have even had to return this lens more than once to get a good copy, while others get a good one right off. Then others have reported service issues, more then I've seen emerge from the DA 18-135mm lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-17-2022 at 10:39 PM.
05-29-2022, 01:43 AM   #22

Hello, I am also having a trouble with 18-135 autofocus.
An autofocus is not working continiously. The lens makes one short jog when I'm half-pressing the shutter button but doesn't move on. This sounds like fast and short "jeeeg".
So, I can focus but need to press shutter button for a dozen times.
Same is in any AF and LV mode. Screw-drive lenses are working well.

I've cleaned electronic contacts but nothing changed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There is video, it may helps to understand.

07-02-2022, 07:04 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did take the lens apart and found the tension spring connected to the aperture lever was damaged. Tried working on it for awhile and gave up. Put it in a zip lock bag to look at later. I never found any diagrams showing lens assembly. Now using the Sigma 17-70 and a Tamron 24-135 macro to cover the focal length. Thanks to all for comments and recommendations.