Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #1

Spotmatic SP F stuck

Hi,

A couple of months ago I bought a used Spotmatic SP F from this forum, and I have been having a wonderful time exploring film photography. However, while on a hike yesterday, after taking a photo I suddenly couldn't neither advance the lever or press the shutter button. If I press the shutter button, the Shutter doesn't go off as it should, as if it wasn't cocked. However, the film advance lever doesn't move, as if the shutter is already cocked.
I have been able to get the film off the camera without ruining it, so I was looking at what I could do now.
- Is there any repair attempt I should try by myself?
- Should I bring it to a place like Samys Camera? (I am in Irvine, CA). I sent them a message and they quoted around $110
- I have seen Eric's https://pentaxs.com/ mentioned here, and its quoted at $78 approximately for a CLA, however I assume I would have to pay for shipping even if it's just a quote
- Buying a new Spotmatic F would also be a possibility, although the seller I bought my previous one from doesn't have any so I would have to resort to Ebay?

If I could add some photos to further explain the issue please let me know, but there is no apparent problem visible, it's merely a functioning issue.

Thanks in advance,
Diego

03-07-2022, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem usually is in a catch that sits behind the bottom cover. It serves to synchronize the mirror movement. The catch rotates around a pin and needs some lubricant to function properly. In cameras that have been sitting still for a long time the catch has a tendency to move too slowly, causing the camera to lock-up. What you need to do is remove the circlip (1), slighty lift the catch and move the lever (2) up. Then lower the catch and remount the circlip.
You will find this here: K1000 mirror charge lever - PentaxForums.com.
03-07-2022, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Spotmatic SP F stuck

If itís had a bump, the mirror latch lever can unlatch. Same thought as above post, K1000 manual helps.
Usually you can retension the mirror charge lever without disassembly

Hang up and DRIVE!
03-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
The problem usually is in a catch that sits behind the bottom cover. It serves to synchronize the mirror movement. The catch rotates around a pin and needs some lubricant to function properly. In cameras that have been sitting still for a long time the catch has a tendency to move too slowly, causing the camera to lock-up. What you need to do is remove the circlip (1), slighty lift the catch and move the lever (2) up. Then lower the catch and remount the circlip.
You will find this here: K1000 mirror charge lever - PentaxForums.com.
Thank you for your answer! Would this fix be permanent or would I benefit from doing an CLA anyways? I am asking mainly because of the lubricant part that you mentioned.

---------- Post added 03-08-22 at 02:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
If itís had a bump, the mirror latch lever can unlatch. Same thought as above post, K1000 manual helps.
Usually you can retension the mirror charge lever without disassembly

Hang up and DRIVE!
Awesome thanks!!

03-09-2022, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dieg00 Quote
Thank you for your answer! Would this fix be permanent or would I benefit from doing an CLA anyways? I am asking mainly because of the lubricant part that you mentioned.

---------- Post added 03-08-22 at 02:58 PM ----------

Awesome thanks!!
you can use any thin oil, like the oil they use for sewing machines

Last edited by Argos; 03-09-2022 at 04:25 PM.