Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2022, 06:32 PM   #1

Battery grip issue,

Hi good folk.
I wonder if you can help me with this please,
I have a DTSE BG4 Type battery grip that works great on my K7, but when I attach it to my second hand K5ii it does work but when you turn the on/off buttons to off the rear screen stays on as does the top screen, but the top screen is garbled.
Never experienced a problem with my pentax's for the last 16 years. Is the K5ii known for being glitchy. Here's hoping you guys can put some light on it.
Many thanks in advance
Ian 👍

03-12-2022, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the battery grip electronic connection pins all straight?
03-12-2022, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by big.ianbullivant Quote
Hi good folk.
I have a DTSE BG4 Type battery grip that works great on my K7, but when I attach it to my second hand K5ii it does work but when you turn the on/off buttons to off the rear screen stays on as does the top screen, but the top screen is garbled.
Never experienced a problem with my pentax's for the last 16 years. Is the K5ii known for being glitchy. Here's hoping you guys can put some light on it.
Many thanks in advance
Ian 👍
Is that a genuine grip or a third-party one?

I'd try cleaning the contacts under the camera to see if that helps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2022, 12:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's third party. Learned that lesson a few years ago.

03-13-2022, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Hi good folk.
Many thanks in advance
Ian 👍

I'll assume that DTSE is the manufacturer.
One has to ask the old chestnut … is your firmware to the latest release, v1.07 available here Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
When you write "turn the on/off buttons to off" is that the buttons on the grip only or on the grip and the camera?
Does the problem occur if there's no battery in the grip? If not, battery priority may be an issue, see p267 in the manual, available here Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
I have (though rarely use) a third-party grip on my K-5 and the button use isn't totally intuitive. The on/off switch on the grip only activates/de-activates the controls on the grip.
The camera still needs to be turned on and off independently, and, if I remember correctly, the camera can draw power from the grip irrespective of whether the grip is turned on or not.
03-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is that a genuine grip or a third-party one?

I'd try cleaning the contacts under the camera to see if that helps.
It's a third party grip but works great on my K7. Thanks for the feedback👍

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 04:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes they seem to be and it works great on my K7. Thanks for the feedback 👍

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 04:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'll assume that DTSE is the manufacturer.
One has to ask the old chestnut … is your firmware to the latest release, v1.07 available here Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
When you write "turn the on/off buttons to off" is that the buttons on the grip only or on the grip and the camera?
Does the problem occur if there's no battery in the grip? If not, battery priority may be an issue, see p267 in the manual, available here Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
I have (though rarely use) a third-party grip on my K-5 and the button use isn't totally intuitive. The on/off switch on the grip only activates/de-activates the controls on the grip.
The camera still needs to be turned on and off independently, and, if I remember correctly, the camera can draw power from the grip irrespective of whether the grip is turned on or not.
Yes mate I have tried all the above, the camera off setting has has no effect. It works a treat on my K7, which is frustrating. Thanks for the feedback 👍

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 04:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
They do appear to be and the grip works great on my K7 and has done for 3 years. Thanks for the feedback 👍

---------- Post added 03-13-22 at 04:55 PM ----------

Thanks all, I will try to clean the contacts on the camera. Is there a safe way to do this please.
Cheers
E
03-13-2022, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #7

I have the K-5IIs, and haven’t read anything about problems when coupled to a genuine Pentax D-bg4 grip (mine works properly). However, I’ve read about an assortment of issues with the aftermarket clones. I would suspect it has something to do with the grip itsef.

03-14-2022, 12:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
I have the K-5IIs, and haven’t read anything about problems when coupled to a genuine Pentax D-bg4 grip (mine works properly). However, I’ve read about an assortment of issues with the aftermarket clones. I would suspect it has something to do with the grip itsef.
Thanks for replying and for the advice 🙂

---------- Post added 03-14-22 at 12:53 AM ----------

Thanks again all. After all the advice I shall look for a second hand genuine grip.
I shall offer some hints to my wife around my birthday time ha ha.
Cheers all 👍
03-14-2022, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks all, I will try to clean the contacts on the camera. Is there a safe way to do this please.
Cheers
E
I use WD40 on a cotton-bud or other suitable swab for jobs like this. … the usual precautions about not squirting directly into/onto the camera applies
Just remember, the gold plating on the contacts is thin, so no enthusiastic rubbing, just a gentle wipe to remove any surface contaminants.
Good luck
03-14-2022, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here you can see the disassembly of an older BG2 batterygrip:
BG2 Grip Teardown and Stuck Pins Fix - PentaxForums.com

The problems often come from the springloaded contacts on the grip itself, the springs might not touch the contacts on your K5 properly anymore.
Those contacs only to clean with good alcohol on an earstick.

If no disassembly, then clean those tiny gold plated contact pins just on their tops and spray some good contact cleaner towards the bottom, pushing
each pin a bit downwards. Maybe it helps but in general I am advising disassembly and some good internal cleansing
03-15-2022, 12:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I use WD40 on a cotton-bud or other suitable swab for jobs like this. … the usual precautions about not squirting directly into/onto the camera applies
Just remember, the gold plating on the contacts is thin, so no enthusiastic rubbing, just a gentle wipe to remove any surface contaminants.
Good luck
Thank you for the advice much appreciated 🙏

---------- Post added 03-15-22 at 12:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Here you can see the disassembly of an older BG2 batterygrip:
BG2 Grip Teardown and Stuck Pins Fix - PentaxForums.com

The problems often come from the springloaded contacts on the grip itself, the springs might not touch the contacts on your K5 properly anymore.
Those contacs only to clean with good alcohol on an earstick.

If no disassembly, then clean those tiny gold plated contact pins just on their tops and spray some good contact cleaner towards the bottom, pushing
each pin a bit downwards. Maybe it helps but in general I am advising disassembly and some good internal cleansing
Again many thanks for this advice 🙏 thank goodness I found this forum.