Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2022, 08:21 AM   #1

50-135 VERSUS 70-210 zoom

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

What are the pros and cons of both lenses and which would be better for general landscapes

03-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera are you using?, if APS-C then either is a good option and I would go for the new 70-210 for the reliability.
The 50-135 is an APS-C lens with an approximately equivalent field of view to the full frame 70-210.
Cost, size and weight are considerations too, the links above will fill those detail in.
03-14-2022, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
What camera are you using?. . . .
the OP's " about me " information shows a K 70

@Oyanglon

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

if you do not have it, I recommend you consider getting the ebook

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-70 eBook
Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax K-70 guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-14-2022 at 09:58 AM.
03-14-2022, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Firstly, welcome to the forums!

The two lenses cover rather different focal ranges if you're talking about shooting both on APS-C. The 70-210 will be really rather long for landscapes, although some people do like telephoto for landscapes. I think if "general landscapes" is the main use, the 50-135 makes more sense (between the two). If you're also thinking about birds and wildlife, the 70-210 is probably more desirable for that purpose.

Also note that the 70-210 is a full frame lens, so it's going to be somewhat heavier and larger than you probably need/ are taking advantage of (assuming K70), although it's not really that much larger than the 50-135.

The DA* 60-250 f4 is an APS-C lens with roughly that focal range that you may want to look at as well (be sure to inform yourself on SDM failure possibilities). Also it's not actually more compact than either of the other two, and the heaviest of the three. It does offer more range.

Have you also considered the 55-300 PLM? Slower, but a very well regarded lens, also much more compact and versatile. Landscapes typically don't call for fast lenses.
03-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oyanglon Quote
What are the pros and cons of both lenses and which would be better for general landscapes
I think it would be kind to introduce oneself + few words about one's equipment etc.

Last edited by photogem; 03-16-2022 at 06:07 AM.
03-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently used the 70-210 and it has a lot in common with the 50-135. Both a have good optical quality with strong wide open performance. The focal range of the 50-135/2.8 is typically a useful one on apsc cameras like your k-70 often used for portraits and in general as a good short-medium length telephoto. The 70-210/4 serves a similar purpose on full frame as the 50-135 albeit a little slower optically. The 70-210/4 is faster focusing and the electronic aperture control is immune to aperture block failures that can occur on the k-70. Both lenses are internal zoom and internal focus. The 50-135/2.8 offers 1 stop additional light (f2.8 vs 4) but a shorter overall reach. The wider end is also a lot wider (50mm vs 70). The 50-135 is Dinh’s

Looking at this from the outside in…

FOCUS: Faster on 70-210
APERTURE: Wider (more light) on the 50-135.
SIZE: 50-135 is smaller; but the hood is ridiculously large.
RELIABILITY: 70-210 doesn’t have SDM so failure of the lens motor is unlikely. 70-210 has electronic aperture which won’t be impacted if the k-70 suffers aperture solenoid fails.
FOCAL LENGTH: Both offer a good focal length range but the 70-210 is longer which can be good or bad.

03-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi if you want to try the 70-210, perhaps an economical way would be a used F series lens, quite cheap and works well
SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
the newer DA lens gets good reviews
The 50-135 would be a great choice too, just be aware that it is rumoured to be replaced soon with a more modern lens just as the 16-50 was recently
I would highly recommend you look at the lens reviews here for more details on each lens
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
03-14-2022, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't speak to the 70-210 as I've never used that one, but I do own the 50-135 and can confirm that it is an excellent lens. Image quality is top-notch. It is very sharp, and has a wonderful warmer colour rendering than almost all my other lenses, which I really like (personal taste, perhaps, but it suits landscape and nature images very well). Also, images from this lens somehow look smoother, more organic, less digital, than my other lenses. One of my best lenses. Highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

And yes, do introduce yourself in the New Member section.
03-14-2022, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the above by Viking42 ^^^.

I now have both APS-C bodies and the K-1 II. I've had the DA* 50-135mm for over 10 years, using it on many Pentax bodies, and I love it. If you have or are contemplating getting a faster-aperture short zoom lens, this lens will match very well as a team. I like carrying it along with my DA 20-40mm Ltd for a 2-zoom lens combo for its versatile reach and its f/2.8 aperture capability for low light situations. For yet more zoom range and f/2.8 capability all the way though, I use it in combo with my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM, a fine lens though it doesn't have the WR construction. I would much rather take this combo with my KP than even to consider getting the DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 for use on my K-1 II for a similar equivalent zoom range. The difference in terms of size and weight is tremendous. The DA* 50-135mm is remarkably short and light for its zoom range and f/2.8 aperture speed. its handling is outstanding. Even with my KP's largest of the supplied grips, handling is fine without needing to attach the battery grip for its much greater gripping surface. If its SDM AF should fail, this lens can be converted to traditional screw-driven operation.

Your uses, as others have said, and what other lens(es) you will be using with it are to be considered when choosing between these two lenses. Since it is possible for the K-70 to develop the infamous aperture control failure, and the DFA 70-210 f/4 is impervious to this problem, maybe this lens along with the new DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM would be the best combo with this camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-14-2022 at 02:42 PM.
03-15-2022, 09:28 AM - 3 Likes   #11

Original Poster
Late introduction

Please excuse me for not posting an introduction earlier. I have not had a camera since 2014 when I had to leave all my camera equipment in China along with golf clubs and many other personal items. I bought a Pentax K70 last week with an 18-50 zoom. DSLR cameras are completely new to me and there is so much to learn that is different from the film camera, I would like to thank everyone for the replies . Regards Oyanglon
03-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're most welcome. I hope the comments were helpful. Feel free to ask away if you have any more questions. And welcome to the forum! Enjoy the time here.
03-15-2022, 05:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please excuse me for not posting an introduction earlier. I have not had a camera since 2014 when I had to leave all my camera equipment in China along with golf clubs and many other personal items. I bought a Pentax K70 last week with an 18-50 zoom. DSLR cameras are completely new to me and there is so much to learn that is different from the film camera, I would like to thank everyone for the replies . Regards Oyanglon
Sorry to hear you had to leave your things behind. I’m glad you are back in the hobby. Please post some favorite images sometime. Welcome!
03-15-2022, 06:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Pentax K70 last week with an 18-50 zoom.
Welcome to the forum! Since you are just beginning to become familiar with DSLR cameras, you do indeed have a lot to learn, and you'll be delighted with the advancements that have been made. You came in at a good time, being that these advancements have reached such a peak as they have, that camera makers are having a difficult time developing meaningful improvements.

You might have noticed in trying out your new zoom lens, the focal length does not look the same as it would on a 35mm film camera. This is because most DSLR cameras use a smaller sensor than the 24 x 36mm frame size of 35mm film. Most commonly used in DSLR cameras is the APS-C size sensor of 16 x 24mm. This means the field of view of the smaller sensor will not be as wide with the same focal length lens as it would be with 35mm film, or with a full-frame (FF) DSLR. So for example, the 50mm long end of your zoom lens, with the smaller sensor's more tunnel vision view, will be cropped so the resultant image will be enlarged to be about the same size as that from a 75mm lens on a FF camera, a factor of about 1.5 x. With this knowledge, you can now understand my comment regarding how the DA* 50-135mm lens on your APS-C camera compares to a much bigger lens on a FF camera, in practical usage terms.

BTW, that 18-50mm lens is very unique in being so amazingly compact, and at the same time has a quiet, efficient autofocus (AF) technology, and has weather resistant (WR) construction, as does also the K-70 body. A WR camera body is not truly WR unless having a WR lens on it.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-15-2022 at 06:18 PM.
03-16-2022, 06:34 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I asked about an introduction and equipment because it often happens that members register new, post a question, members make an effort and then that was it...

It anyway is good to know a bit about the background (in your case a newcomer to DSLR since long time)
You asked about 2 lenses for landscape:

I wouldn't really consider any of them a landscape lens but possibly your intention demand such a focal length?

The DA* 50-135/2,8 is a very nice lens but it has one problem: The SDM motor often fails! I have one here with failed SMD motor, use it

for the moment manual but will convert it to screwdrive when I have time.

The D-FA70-210 is of course a masterpiece made actually by Tamron but when I think of it that as a Canon version I can buy it new in Germany
for around $ 390:
Tamron 70-210 mm f/4 Di VC USD für Canon EOS DSLR **** | eBay
I find it too expensive for Pentax.

The recommendation of the DA 55-300PLM is a special one.
It acts super fast due to the electro-magnetic aperture-control:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

But for landscape I would get the DA20-40limited:
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
plus maybe a DA14/2,8 or a DA15limited
The DA14 is better for buildings, but the DA15 is very nice small.

Otherwise the legendary DA16-45/f4 ED in excellent condition is a great zoom, 16mm allow nice ultra-wide-angle landscapes.ö
The K70 allows this lens to perform much better than in old days.

So I have covered all zooms I personally use... I work more with primes.

Often I reduce my KP just to one or two primes because I want to walk light lately.

I had the Tamron 70-200/2,8 DI:
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
and changed it for the DA55-300PLM and never regreted it.
If I want very nice bokeh I have other lenses.