Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2022, 11:29 PM   #1

streaks on pentax 67 photos

Hi everyone. I've noticed I have streaks on a lot of my photos (not all of them). The pattern appears to be the same so I'm thinking it might not be the lab processing but maybe the camera rollers or something dirty inside? anyone seen this before?

edit - the strange thing is, sometimes only one photo of the 10 in the roll will have the streaks while the others will not.

Attached Images

Last edited by angelrivz; 03-17-2022 at 12:03 AM.
03-16-2022, 11:56 PM   #2

Original Poster
A few more examples -
Attached Images

03-16-2022, 11:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Streak pattern is not the same, just similar. Are these pictures scanned with scanner or digital camera?
03-17-2022, 12:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Streak pattern is not the same, just similar. Are these pictures scanned with scanner or digital camera?
Check out the last two examples I posted, they have identical patterns. It's with a scanner, I get them processed + scanned at a lab

03-17-2022, 12:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angelrivz Quote
Check out the last two examples I posted, they have identical patterns. It's with a scanner, I get them processed + scanned at a lab
do you see that streak pattern on negatives?
03-17-2022, 02:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
That looks like poor scanning (or a faulty scanner) to me. I can't ever remember seeing anything like that as a fault in a film camera!
03-17-2022, 05:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Inspect the negatives with a loupe and see if the artifacts are on the film.

Get someone else to scan one.

There are two issues in your images

(A) the thin light/dark stripes across the short axis - I suspect a stepper motor/worn drive belt problem in the scanner, as it does repeat frame to frame in almost the same position.
(B) there is a wide brighter patch and darker patch about 1/5 of the way from the top edge of the frame (the long axis). I suspect a problem with the light seals.

Since the shutter moves across the long-axis of the film, it's not the cause of (A).

Am betting (A) is the scanner, and will not be present on the film.

My guess is (B) will be present on the film.

03-17-2022, 07:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Get someone else to scan one.
Or, if you have a digital camera, take a picture of a frame - in both orientations, to be extra fussy.
03-17-2022, 07:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Or, if you have a digital camera, take a picture of a frame - in both orientations, to be extra fussy.
..and include the space between exposures. Looks like a dirty RT processor to me.
03-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I just looked at a negative and saw the streaks. Now i’m assuming it’s likely a light leak. Again it’s only on some images, not all. Would this be likely be a problem with the light seals?
03-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Thank you everyone. I just looked at a negative and saw the streaks. Now i’m assuming it’s likely a light leak. Again it’s only on some images, not all. Would this be likely be a problem with the light seals?
What happens when you over expose?

What type equipment does your lab use?
03-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just looked at a negative and saw the streaks.
Ask your development lab how they actually process the film.

I'm no expert here, in particular, I'm not sure how your images are aligned on the film (i.e. long axis vertical or horizontal), but if they pull the film along its axis through the various chemicals, I could imagine streaks happening. Similarly, if the film is spooled onto a reel which is either systematically moved up and down, or rotated all the time, I could imagince streaks as well.
03-18-2022, 07:06 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shoot another roll, take it somewhere else to be processed. Or shoot B&W and develop it yourself. Then you'll know for sure.

Then to narrow down if light leaks, black electrical tape works wonders - seal up the film back after loading, and around the removable pentaprism. Shoot that roll, and develop.

I'm still inclined to think the thin stripes are not a light leak. If they were in the EXACT same position frame by frame, then they would be light leaks.
03-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I'm still inclined to think the thin stripes are not a light leak. If they were in the EXACT same position frame by frame, then they would be light leaks.
I'll ask again. When you over-expose, is the result lighter or darker? Light leaks are not all exactly the same place or take the exact same form.