Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2022, 11:36 PM   #1
Closed Account

SD Card "spring?"

I've noticed my k-s2 has been having problems ejecting the SD cards. It's as if the spring has lost it's spring.
Has anyone any experience with this? Has anyone taken a camera apart and examined the mechanism that pushes the SD cards out (is it actually a spring?)
Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated!

Regards,

Michael

03-17-2022, 12:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my experience some brands SD cards have a tighter fit in the SD slot than others.
03-17-2022, 01:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
In my experience some brands SD cards have a tighter fit in the SD slot than others.
Exactly this … it's quite practical to sand down the label side of the card to reduce the thickness, also some labels aren't affixed exactly, so can overlap the recess and cause problems.
Just clean off any sanding dust and debris before re-fitting the card in the camera
03-17-2022, 01:49 AM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I have had the problem with 2 cards; howvever, I must admit they are both SanDisk brand....
It still works, but on occasion I have problems getting it out.

I can pretty much rule out that it is not the SanDisk brand causing the problem, as I have been using Sandisk (only) cards in and out for over a year without issue.

---------- Post added 03-17-22 at 01:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Exactly this … it's quite practical to sand down the label side of the card to reduce the thickness, also some labels aren't affixed exactly, so can overlap the recess and cause problems.
Just clean off any sanding dust and debris before re-fitting the card in the camera

Just perhaps the labels are coming off just a wee bit - I will try your tip....

03-17-2022, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know the problem, had the same with my K7.
I used sticky tape around the SD card so that some 5mm sticks out so you can pull the card out..
Bit like this.
Attached Images

03-17-2022, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I know the problem, had the same with my K7.
I used sticky tape around the SD card so that some 5mm sticks out so you can pull the card out..
Bit like this.
That is the cleverest idea ever!!
I have a FLIR thermal camera that the Mini-SD card gets stuck in all the time. You've just cured a 5-year old problem I have!!! Thanks so much.
03-17-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of my (older) SD cards.

/edit
ehhh, jeah, i know, not very straigt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VOG-L29  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VOG-L29  Photo 

Last edited by Sakura; 03-17-2022 at 02:55 PM.
03-17-2022, 09:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course to thick SD cards won't help and it is a good idea always to check with a new one.

My experience is that this can happen when a SD-card was pushed the other way round into the slot.
The other damage that can happen to SD-cards are the tiny plastic-dividers between the contacts.
They can get lose or break. Also parts of the plastic can be jammed inside the SD-card slot.

If it is inside the camera itself, i.e. the slot, difficult: The slot sits on the other side of the mainboard, to get the mainboard out means difficult soldering
because since the K-S1 those mainboards are designed smaller, are packed more tight.

So trying to inspect the inside of the slot with good light (not easy, I know) and to such particles out with a vacuum-cleaner (no danger!)
03-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
I'm resurrecting this thread because the SD card just became nearly impossible to get out. So I'm going to get it out with either getting the tape down in there and attached to the card or some very small needle nose pliers (or something)....

One thing on my side is when I bought the k-s2 on the auction site, I did purchase a 2 year square trade insurance warranty (owned by Allstate insurance).... I don't know if they'll actually try to do a repair or simply do a $ refund if I started a claim.

Anyways, here goes trying to get the card out. And BTW, it was a brand new Sandisk SC card....

Regards,

Michael

Addendum: ok, I did get the card out and made myself the scotch tape solution as suggested above and it works well. Now, however, I kinda have the opposite problem of the card being stuck in the slot - the 2 Sandisk SD cards I have will slide in and work in the camera, but there is no "locking in" of the card at all - it simply slides in and sits there - it works, but that's how it is working (and this is with 2 Sandisk SD cards I have - put tape on both of them).

I am curious though, what would users here do if they had the square trade warranty and had this problem? Would you live with it and the tape solution or would you give serious considerations to starting a claim - ?

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 03-23-2022 at 06:17 PM.
03-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Claim!
I guess one of the contacts inside is bent.
It might get worse
03-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Claim!
I guess one of the contacts inside is bent.
It might get worse

Well, I paid approximately $80 for a 2 year square trade warranty, when I purchased it on the auction site.
I'm going to file a claim and I'll report back here, report back on how they handle the claim.
Either they'll try to get it fixed or they'll send me some money - maybe even keep the camera.

Regards,

Michael
03-24-2022, 01:07 PM   #12
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I've noticed my k-s2 has been having problems ejecting the SD cards. It's as if the spring has lost it's spring.
Has anyone any experience with this? Has anyone taken a camera apart and examined the mechanism that pushes the SD cards out (is it actually a spring?)
Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated!

Regards,

Michael
Update: They say they can fix it.
I am to mail it to Precision Camera for repair. A shipping label was supplied.
Will be interesting to see if they can actually fix it, as someone on here said this particular type of repair is very difficult - something it attached to the mother board or something like that...

Question: If you have experience with Precision Camera, about how long would you estimate they take for a repair?
Anyways, I'm going to visit my sister, a few states away, so this repair is good timing. My sister has a Pentax k-r & I'll, take some lens with me, and use her camera down there...

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 03-24-2022 at 02:36 PM.
03-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #13
Closed Account

Original Poster
The SD card slot started working properly, with both cards. It did that before.
I fear that they'll get it and determine there is no problem and just ship it back, or monkey wrench around on it when it doesn't need it yet. So, I'm going to just keep it and keep using it until the problem gets undoubtedlly & consistently worse.

Michael
03-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SD-cardslot is on the backside of the mainboard. Very difficult to get it off because since the K-S1 motherboards are packed more dense with tinier parts.
So a replacement of the complete motherboard usually is the case.

As you have this extra warranty, that's what it is for and Precision can "dig in" so to say.
03-24-2022, 11:24 PM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The SD-cardslot is on the backside of the mainboard. Very difficult to get it off because since the K-S1 motherboards are packed more dense with tinier parts.
So a replacement of the complete motherboard usually is the case.

As you have this extra warranty, that's what it is for and Precision can "dig in" so to say.
Well, the square trade warranty is good until 4/29/2003, so since it started working fine "again," I'll keep it and keep using it. I'm really baffled as to why it goes through these stages where it won't work with a crap and then it goes back to working fine. Only thing I can think of is that temperature or humidity changes are causing this flip flop in behavior. If it is a problem, it's bound to get worse & I'll end up sending it on before the warranty expires. What would you, or orther members here, do?