Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2022, 03:50 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip Number 13: Pentax Dust Removal System

Does anyone want to buy my old vacuum cleaner?

It's just collecting dust.

A speck on the dust on the front element of a lens can be irritating to look at, but unlikely to affect image quality because it won't be in focus. A speck on the rear element can be a bit more problematic, especially if the aperture is stopped down, and is certainly noticeable on the sensor. If you shoot primes rather than zooms, your sensor is much more likely to collect dust. I always turn my back to the wind when changing my primes, and keep the camera body facing down throughout the process.

Q. Why did the dust pan break up with the broom?

A. Because it was sweeping around

I carry a couple of those little glasses sachets for wiping off grease on my lenses, and am not afraid in the field to use my T-shirt to wipe off dust from the front element either, because a lens is actually a good solid little chunk of glass, not as delicate as some people think. It's the coatings we need to keep chemicals away from.

But what about that sensor? That has to be treated extremely carefully.

All the current Pentaxes offer a dust removal system that shakes the sensor at high speed to dislodge resting dust.

Anything actually stuck would need one of those cleaning kits with a blower or swab to be used.

The system is even more handy on the Ricoh GR III or Pentax K-01, because a mirrorless camera lacks the mirror protecting the sensor between shots.

I do set mine to engage automatically both at switch on and switch off, as per the screenshot below.

To finish this week, before a king goes on a Crusade, he puts a chastity belt on his wife, gives the key to his best friend and says, "If I don't come back in three years, set her free."

He starts off on his horse. After a while, he sees a big cloud of dust, someone galloping after him. So, he waits. It's his best friend.

"What's wrong ?" the king asks.

"You gave me the wrong key", yells his friend.

The rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images

Last edited by clackers; 04-14-2022 at 09:25 PM.
03-17-2022, 05:21 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The wrong key. That's priceless. LOL
03-17-2022, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I seriously miss this feature in my a7r3. It lacks ultrasonic cleaning and has no startup or shutdown option to automate cleaning. This works fantastically with my K-3 and KP.
03-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I seriously miss this feature in my a7r3. It lacks ultrasonic cleaning and has no startup or shutdown option to automate cleaning. This works fantastically with my K-3 and KP.
Also actually needs it more, because there's no mirror shielding the sensor.

03-17-2022, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Also actually needs it more, because there's no mirror shielding the sensor.
Indeed! This drives me nuts about that camera. My dad loves his A7RII and I love sharing the hobby with him… but dang Sony get out of the Stone Age.
03-18-2022, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The wrong key. That's priceless. LOL
Very smart to check it works before he can no longer be contacted.👍