Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #1

SONY TOUGH-G series SDXC UHS-II Card

Have you already tried this card with Pentax K3 III ? Is it worth its price ? Technical data are impressive .
I wonder , only one slot accept UHS-II cards, what will happen if put this card into this slower slot ? Will it work ?

K.

03-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krzys128 Quote
Have you already tried this card with Pentax K3 III ? Is it worth its price ? Technical data are impressive .
I wonder , only one slot accept UHS-II cards, what will happen if put this card into this slower slot ? Will it work ?

K.
Yes they're a bit quicker to clear the buffer based on my own use, particularly if you're doing RAW burst with a single card. Still, not a huge difference from the more economical Lexar 1667x, another card I recommend. I've been using the Sony Tough's for the past couple of weeks, but they are significantly more expensive and may not be worth the price difference to you.

EDIT: When I first tested the speed a couple weeks back I had inadvertently set both RAW and JPEG to Slot 1, no card in slot two which is how I'll prefer to shoot if speed is of the essence. I did not know I had enabled JPEGS too until this last weekend. I'd have to redo testing with no JPEG, which I never use anyway, to get a true speed difference with the slower V30 cards. Suffice to say there is enough benefit for me personally to stick with the Tough G's, but I wouldn't invest in a second pair. YMMV.

Note too that they're an ever-so-slightly thicker card and may be a little snugger in the slot and more careful to load on your K3III.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-24-2022 at 03:27 PM.
03-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krzys128 Quote
It should work fine; most UHS-II cards are designed to be backward compatible -they can be used to maximum effect in a UHS-II camera or PC card socket; but they will work in a regular SD card slot.
I bought a few SANDISK ones, and use them with my 645Z and K1 - they are not UHS-II cameras.

When it comes time to download the huge files from the 645Z, it is blazing fast because I have a UHS-II reader on the computer. Saves me a ton of time.
03-25-2022, 03:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Regardless of how fast the SD card is rated it will only be used at the read/write speed of the camera so sometimes paying more for a higher speed can render little to no gain.

03-25-2022, 05:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Regardless of how fast the SD card is rated it will only be used at the read/write speed of the camera so sometimes paying more for a higher speed can render little to no gain.
Yup, we're in full agreement. I don't know of any stills-use camera that can perform at the advertised speeds of the high-end V90 SD cards. A slowish V30 card is perfectly fine for even the very latest camera that still uses SD's for storing still images. Any gains with faster cards are minimal. When Pentax first introduced UHS-II I don't know that any of us were informed enough to realize this and ended up over-paying. I know I did.

So no I wouldn't buy another set of Tough G's considering how much more expensive than the Lexar's, nor any of the V90's for that matter. But there is some small gain if you have already have 'em and the time to transfer to your computer is noticeably quicker when you have a few hundred to move, assuming the computer supports it. All things being otherwise equal, that in itself may be reason enough to spend on V60's and V90's.
03-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Yup, we're in full agreement. I don't know of any stills-use camera that can perform at the advertised speeds of the high-end V90 SD cards. A slowish V30 card is perfectly fine for even the very latest camera that still uses SD's for storing still images. Any gains with faster cards are minimal. When Pentax first introduced UHS-II I don't know that any of us were informed enough to realize this and ended up over-paying. I know I did.

So no I wouldn't buy another set of Tough G's considering how much more expensive than the Lexar's, nor any of the V90's for that matter. But there is some small gain if you have already have 'em and the time to transfer to your computer is noticeably quicker when you have a few hundred to move, assuming the computer supports it. All things being otherwise equal, that in itself may be reason enough to spend on V60's and V90's.
I seldom shoot bursts of more than three to five shots, and have been pleased with the performance of the UHS-II Lexar 1667x cards Gatorguy mentioned that I paid what I consider quite reasonable prices from B&H in two packs.