Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Problem Updating Firmware in both K-1 II & K-3 III

I'm trying to update the firmware in both my K-1 II and my K-3 III and not having any luck. I must be overlooking something as I've done this in the past across both cameras as well as my older K-10 and K-20 with no problems.

Anyway... I am following the Pentax instructions step by step. Formatted a new SDXC card, and copied the firmware to the root directory... insert fully charged battery... insert card into slot 1... turn the camera on while holding down the Menu button. I expect to see "Updates the camera firmware" on the LCD, but the only thing that happens is the camera boots up just like normal. Also, the exact same thing happens on both cameras so I must be overlooking a step somewhere along the way.

Anyone got any ideas what I'm missing? Thx in advance.

03-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you extract the firmware folder?
Then only place the xxxxx.bin file in the root directory
03-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #3

The downloaded files are in compressed format and need to be expanded/extracted before moving them to the card. The extracted files should end with a .BIN extension. The full name of the file is unique to each camera model and the camera will only recognize files of that name.
03-27-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let us know how you fixed the issue - because I may be doing this soon on my K-1 Mark II. Thanks!

03-27-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you've done it before, you may till have previous updates in your download folder. If you extract the new one in the same folder, your OS may rename the new bin file, which will therefore not work.
03-28-2022, 01:17 AM   #6
Forum Member

Check if you choose the firmware for the k1II, I myself had by mistake taken the firmware of k1 last time and was asking myself what is going on...
03-28-2022, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
BDH

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions... but it was Paul the Sunman that figured it out! Sure enough, my OS had renamed both the K-1 II and K-3 III files with a -2 at the end of their respective file names. When I looked to see that the file was in the root directory, I just saw the .bin file and never even noticed the -2. I renamed the file on both cards, and both cameras immediately updated, just like they always had in the past. Just amazing how well this works when you put the correct file, and file name on the card! LOL

I knew this had to be something simple, but I just couldn't figure it out. Thx again for the help...

03-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Tip for others - when I download a firmware update, I extract the file(s) to a folder in the Download folder, then create a separate folder in my 'Pentax K3' folder (on my Data drive), named with the update version (i.e. K3 v1.53), and move the new BIN file into that. Then I copy the BIN file to the root of the pre-formatted SD card. That way, I have the original downloaded file, the extracted BIN file, and the SD card with the BIN file on.
03-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #9

The updating procedure instructions on the Ricoh website gives the exact name of the extracted BIN file. The camera won't recognize any file that doesn't match that name.

Example (K-1 ii)
QuoteQuote:
The following file is extracted.
Fwdc240b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc240b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.