Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2022, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Goldengate Quote
35mmfilmfan- Yes to your first question.......
It's not unusual for optical viewfinders to crop a little bit, especially in entry level cameras. It's one of the reasons why they are as inexpensive as they are. A viewfinder that doesn't crop at all also needs to be in perfect registration with the sensor. This costs real money as there is significant hand shimming involved to get it perfect which takes time.

03-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
At first I thought the same with my K70. But, after doing some testing I concluded it's the camera's rear display that is doing the slight cropping. Images viewed on my computer monitor show the complete image I see in the viewfinder, perhaps even ever so slightly more. Whereas, the image on the rear display appears very slightly cropped on all four sides. Not a big deal for me. I always try to frame shots to allow for a little cropping or straightening anyway.
I looked at my K70 but my LCD protector doesn't quite fit (it's supposed to be for a K-5, but I'm not sure it exactly fits that either) so I can't quite see all the edges. That probably means I'm not that concerned about that tiny a degree of error. Has anyone established the amount of difference between LCD, viewfinder, and sensor, or the amount that exists on any other "100%" bodies?
03-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I looked at my K70 but my LCD protector doesn't quite fit (it's supposed to be for a K-5, but I'm not sure it exactly fits that either) so I can't quite see all the edges. That probably means I'm not that concerned about that tiny a degree of error. Has anyone established the amount of difference between LCD, viewfinder, and sensor, or the amount that exists on any other "100%" bodies?
Do note that the K70 is listed in the owner's manual as approximately 100%.
03-30-2022, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My wife's K-70 is 100%. There was no noticeable margin when I shot a tile wall with three sides at the grout lines.

03-30-2022, 11:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Do note that the K70 is listed in the owner's manual as approximately 100%.
Isn't it saying the viewfinder, not the LCD, is approximately 100%? I'd always assumed LCDs would be 100%, but maybe not.

Last edited by tibbitts; 03-30-2022 at 11:41 PM.
03-31-2022, 03:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Isn't it saying the viewfinder, not the LCD, is approximately 100%? I'd always assumed LCDs would be 100%, but maybe not.
I suppose I missed that word when I wrote the post, but the thread is about viewfinders, at least according to the title.
The rear lcd should be 100% anyway as it is a direct readout from the sensor.
03-31-2022, 08:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suppose I missed that word when I wrote the post, but the thread is about viewfinders, at least according to the title.
The rear lcd should be 100% anyway as it is a direct readout from the sensor.
I'd assumed that LCDs would be 100% too until I read the rest of this thread.