Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #1

Image in viewfinder in k-70 vs Image in viewfinder in K-3 iii? Dumb Question

OK. I love my K-70 camera, but I hate the way it actually "crops" the images from what I see in the viewfinder when I take the photo. It is my understanding that a "full frame" camera replicates accurately the image you "take" with the image it produces. I've heard that the K-3 iii camera imitates a full frame camera.....Does that mean that the K-3 iii camera would have a "closer" replication of what I see in the viewfinder when I take the photo and the actual photo (i.e. no cropping)? I really hope somebody can help me with this question....

03-28-2022, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the K-70 and K-3 III have a 100% coverage viewfinder, which means that what you see is what you get. The only difference is that on the K-3 III, the viewfinder image is physically larger.

I'm not sure what you mean by cropping. As far as I'm aware, this would only happen in video mode or to a lesser extent when using horizon correction. In other cases, the coverage of the viewfinder will be nearly identical to the final image.
03-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both the K-70 and K-3 III have a 100% coverage viewfinder, which means that what you see is what you get. The only difference is that on the K-3 III, the viewfinder image is physically larger.

I'm not sure what you mean by cropping. As far as I'm aware, this would only happen in video mode or to a lesser extent when using horizon correction. In other cases, the coverage of the viewfinder will be nearly identical to the final image.
Thank you for responding, but that just doesn't seem to be the case. My K-70 always "crops" a little off (all the way around the image) from what I actually saw in the viewfinder. I find this to be super-annoying....I was hoping that the K-3 iii didn't do that....but it sounds like that's not the case..... This is hard to describe; I hope I am communicating this correctly to you.
03-28-2022, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Goldengate Quote
OK. I love my K-70 camera, but I hate the way it actually "crops" the images from what I see in the viewfinder when I take the photo. It is my understanding that a "full frame" camera replicates accurately the image you "take" with the image it produces. I've heard that the K-3 iii camera imitates a full frame camera.....Does that mean that the K-3 iii camera would have a "closer" replication of what I see in the viewfinder when I take the photo and the actual photo (i.e. no cropping)? I really hope somebody can help me with this question....
The crop in a non full frame camera is not cropped less than what you see in the viewfinder - it merely means that a specific focal length will give a less wide view overall. So the wide angle 35mm on a full frame is close to a normal lens on a crop camera. You will with still photography see the same angle of view in the viewfinder and on the captured image.

Many older cameras in the film era had less than 100% viewfinder coverage which led to slightly MORE than what you saw in the viewfinder to show up on your captured images. Interestingly slides also masked off some of the image which meant that tight framing on a viewfinder with 100% coverage could mean that you could lose part of the subject and cut off bits of the image when mounted in slides.

03-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm a little confused here - do you mean that the actual recorded image is smaller than the view you obtained through the viewfinder ? That seems very strange - as has been said, many viewfinders show less than the resulting image, which is therefore larger than what the viewfinder shows. Are you using any kind of viewfinder attachment or accessory which would magnify the view ?
03-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
35mmfilmfan- Yes to your first question.......
03-28-2022, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’d assume that the focus screen is set up correctly, but perhaps it’s been changed. The carrier frame would be the same, regardless, so the screen would have to be set higher in the light path to display a greater field of view. Against that is that it would result in poor manual focus results, and in any event I’d doubt this is the case. A viewfinder attachment would only occlude the focus screen image, so it can’t be that.

The only thing I can think of is that the horizon adjustment in the camera is switched on. Have you checked?

03-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK. I love my K-70 camera, but I hate the way it actually "crops" the images from what I see in the viewfinder when I take the photo
You are mistaken I am afraid. The K70 viewfinder shows a 100% reproduction of the image.

It is my understanding that a "full frame" camera replicates accurately the image you "take" with the image it produces. I've heard that the K-3 iii camera imitates a full frame camera.
A FF camera behaves no differently to an aps-c camera. The viewfinder image (give or take a little percentage) is the same as the image you capture.

Pentax K3 III is an aps-c camera...not a FF
03-28-2022, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-70 always "crops" a little off (all the way around the image) from what I actually saw in the viewfinder.
Hi, welcome to Pentax Forums. Hope we can help.

When you say "a little off," could you estimate the approximate percentage of the scene that gets cropped? 10%? 25%?

As mentioned, the K-70's viewfinder has excellent 'coverage' at almost 100%, meaning that what you see in the viewfinder gets recorded in an image. See, for example, this report: Pentax K-70 Review - Optics

A couple of other thoughts:

The K-70 has a feature that allows an image to be cropped in camera after the picture has been taken (page 88 of the English language operating manual -- Cropping out part of the image). Could that feature be causing the problem?

Are you viewing your pictures on a computer, laptop, or tablet? I wonder if your software program might be doing something to your pictures (e.g., an auto-crop function or something like that). Or, are you seeing the effect when you playback or view the image on the K-70's monitor screen?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-28-2022 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo
03-28-2022, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for responding, but that just doesn't seem to be the case. My K-70 always "crops" a little off (all the way around the image) from what I actually saw in the viewfinder. I find this to be super-annoying....I was hoping that the K-3 iii didn't do that....but it sounds like that's not the case..... This is hard to describe; I hope I am communicating this correctly to you.
I wonder if you can test something: Is the field of view you see through the viewfinder different from the field of view you see if you set your K-70 to LiveView?
(The reason I ask is that the two views 'should' be very nearly identical and I'd be intrigued if they're not.)
03-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Is the field of view you see through the viewfinder different from the field of view you see if you set your K-70 to LiveView?
Good question.

Also: Does an image that is taken in Live View also get cropped?

- Craig
03-28-2022, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK. I love my K-70 camera, but I hate the way it actually "crops" the images from what I see in the viewfinder when I take the photo.
At first I thought the same with my K70. But, after doing some testing I concluded it's the camera's rear display that is doing the slight cropping. Images viewed on my computer monitor show the complete image I see in the viewfinder, perhaps even ever so slightly more. Whereas, the image on the rear display appears very slightly cropped on all four sides. Not a big deal for me. I always try to frame shots to allow for a little cropping or straightening anyway.
03-28-2022, 08:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I suggest mounting the camera on a tripod and aim at a yardstick (is "meterstick" the metric equivalent?) or similar such that it doesn't quite fit inside the frame. Note where the viewfinder, LCD, and image from a photo are cut off on the markings on the stick; that will give you and everyone an idea of the magnitude of the problem.
03-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Many older cameras in the film era had less than 100% viewfinder coverage which led to slightly MORE than what you saw in the viewfinder to show up on your captured images.
This is correct. A VF having less than 100% coverage will include areas of the scene that were left out when viewing that scene through the VF.

A simple way to see of your camera is actually cropping what you are seeing in the VF is to preferably use a prime lens that cannot be zoomed by accident to change how much is in the frame. Then find a framing in your available surroundings where you can establish the edge of a particular object right at the right edge of your frame in the VF, and another such located at the left edge of your frame at the same time. You might need to move forward or backward, and or change the angle of your camera to achieve this. Then take your shot, being careful not to move the camera and ruin your set-up framing. Using a tripod is by far best for accuracy. When you view the shot you just took, you should see those objects at the extreme edges right in place as they were when seen in the VF.

---------- Post added 03-28-22 at 08:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
At first I thought the same with my K70. But, after doing some testing I concluded it's the camera's rear display that is doing the slight cropping. Images viewed on my computer monitor show the complete image I see in the viewfinder, perhaps even ever so slightly more. Whereas, the image on the rear display appears very slightly cropped on all four sides. Not a big deal for me. I always try to frame shots to allow for a little cropping or straightening anyway.
This is interesting. I wonder how common among the various Pentax camera bodies this is? I don't own the K-70, and I have never noticed any cropping phenomenon in the screens of models I do have, but then I've not paid attention.
03-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you wearing glasses? Every viewfinder has a so called eypoint, that is the distance from the viewfinder within which your eye should still overview the whole picture. So, if you are to far away from the viewfinder you will have a cropping effect, because you can not overview the whole viewfinder. Most cameras nowadays have quite a high eyepoint but with glasses one is still on the difficult side and the more if your are using additional eyecaps or if you are not holding the cameras as intended by its designer (as probably everyone of us does ).

EDIT: Sorry, read the second entrance of the OP, could not be problems with the viewpoint. I would gues the issue is the internal monitor as suggested by DWS1.

After a quick test with my K-70 I can confirm, that the rear monitor does not show what can be seen in the viewfinder, while taking the picture.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 03-29-2022 at 06:53 AM.