Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #1

K20D autofocusing with IR from phone

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello, i am kind of a newbie to dslr cameras, but anyways i got a Pentax K20D without a remote control, and i thought i could use my phone (which has IR blaster) to control the camera.

All the apps i tried for this only have the button for the shutter, but no autofocus. As far as i know, you can also use the autofocus with a remote but i can't seem to make it work with my phone's IR blaster.

Any help would be appreciated.

04-08-2022, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So how do you program codes for the app? Do you have any capability to add functions in any of the apps?

The focus code is similar to the shutter code but for two swapped bits and it's terminated after the main code is transmitted (the shutter code is followed by a 4ms pulse which repeats every 250ms as long as the shutter command button is closed for time-exposure purposes). If your app doesn't allow for programming, you're probably out of luck but you might check with the creator if you can reach them.

The alternative is to purchase a remote like the O-RC1 which is very compact and includes the focus function.

PENTAX O-RC1 Remote Control Waterproof | eBay

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-08-2022 at 07:32 AM.
04-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Might be helpful> https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/auto-focus-and-remote-control-11121/p-0
04-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If I recall with the K20D you selected via the menu to focus or not with remote.