Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 Image Cannot Be Displayed

I recently bought a used k-3, very lightly used (under 10K shutter releases), in seemingly great condition. The only problem is that when i try to review the photos in camera, I get an message saying "image cannot be displayed". These are new, 128 gb SDXC cards, formatted in camera. I also updated the firmware to the latest version, 1.43. At times, it will let me review a few pics, but will eventually give me the same message. I have also tried changing the file format from raw to jpeg. Same result. Luckily I still have my k-5ii, but I was really excited to upgrade (I know not a major upgrade all things considered, but the deal for the camera and lenses was too good to pass up). I have seen a few other threads on this issue, but no definitive solutions or answers. So I will once again throw my issue out to this learned group and hope you can provide some assistance. Thank you in advance.

04-09-2022, 10:36 PM   #2

Try a factory reset.

Are you able to transfer the image files to a laptop or desktop computer and open them or are they corrupt?

Since you've tried different cards, file corruption would tend to indicate a fault in the camera.
04-10-2022, 12:25 AM   #3

SD cards.. bye
04-10-2022, 12:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve only ever used 64 or 32Gb cards in my K-3II - have you tried any different sized cards in the K-3? You seem to indicate that you’ve only tried the 128Gb cards.

04-10-2022, 12:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Are you using full-size memory cards or 'micro' cards in an adaptor?
I've had similar intermittent symptoms with one adaptor in my K-5, whereas the micro-SD cards work perfectly in a different adaptor.
The K-3 has two card slots, does the problem happen with both slots?
04-10-2022, 04:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you haven’t yet, try the cards in your other camera to make sure it is not the cards. I bought a couple Sony cards once because of a really good price, they would always corrupt the first image, in any camera I tried.
04-10-2022, 04:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do a factory reset, and format the card.

04-10-2022, 07:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use 2 x SDXC Sandisk 128gb SD cards (not mini!) since years, no problem in the K3 nor K5IIs nor any other Pentax.
Once formatted, no matter with which Pentax after the K5 or K30, I always can use them in any.
If you plug in the card into a cardreader (labtop or PC) what happens then?
Also do the pictures show in your K5II?
Does the card work in the K5II?

And yes, reset and new formatting.

If the cards work in your K5II but not in the K3, I think a problem with the K3!
04-10-2022, 07:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot to ask if you were able to download them to the computer, hopefully so. If you have downloaded them to the computer and happened to disconnect (your camera or card reader) before the system was done with them this can happen. It doesn't hurt your cards to format them, I always do after downloading so the card is clean and ready to write.
04-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I too had problems with 128 GB cards - now using exclusively 64 GB, each of which (RAW) lasts about four months. No problems yet.
12-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have just bought a practically unused (800 shutter count) K3. I'm having the exact same problem using 128gb cards, but these are micro-SDs with adapters. The micros have always failed after about 40 exposures; they are fine when downloaded to PC, but won't display on the K3 once they've failed. I've re-formatted and started again but the cycle is always the same. Odd.
This is the first time I've ever used these in a camera. I'm going to try the suggestion above and put in a straight SD 64gb and see how that goes.
12-11-2023, 02:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clivebennett Quote
I too have just bought a practically unused (800 shutter count) K3. I'm having the exact same problem using 128gb cards, but these are micro-SDs with adapters. The micros have always failed after about 40 exposures; they are fine when downloaded to PC, but won't display on the K3 once they've failed. I've re-formatted and started again but the cycle is always the same. Odd.
This is the first time I've ever used these in a camera. I'm going to try the suggestion above and put in a straight SD 64gb and see how that goes.
I think it is the contact within the adapter which causes the problem.