Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2022, 06:06 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
I appreciate all the comments and realize I wasn't very specific about the gear. I have the K-1ii, and in this instance, I was using a Rokinon 135mm MF lens. I plan on attempting CMOHR's techniques and that may be the ticket. I also have a K-3iii and Astrotracer, and I haven't attempted to use the new firmware capability yet.

As for endgame, I'd like to use my available 135 & 300/F4 lenses to stack 30 second images of galaxies and nebula. Nothing too fancy, but hey, Pentax makes a great camera for this.

04-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AnotherVoice Quote
I appreciate all the comments and realize I wasn't very specific about the gear. I have the K-1ii, and in this instance, I was using a Rokinon 135mm MF lens. I plan on attempting CMOHR's techniques and that may be the ticket. I also have a K-3iii and Astrotracer, and I haven't attempted to use the new firmware capability yet.

As for endgame, I'd like to use my available 135 & 300/F4 lenses to stack 30 second images of galaxies and nebula. Nothing too fancy, but hey, Pentax makes a great camera for this.
That should be achievable with astrotracer, as long as you remember to reframe when necessary.
With the K3iii you probably need to take a calibration shot every time you move the camera to reframe.
04-11-2022, 01:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is best for what you want to do, most of the recent DSLR's have this green button toggle in B mode and the PITA is the reframing. If you bought an external intervalometer, you could get this down to a single press and let the camera take a preset number of exposures, then reframe and repeat. Otherwise, it is a press of the button for each exposure in timed B mode.

And to be clear, Astrotracer does not work in M mode (have photos and wasted night hours to prove it)

Suggest you make a visit and possibly subscribe to the Astrophotography social group. Lots of members using this technique with Astrotracer to accumulate hours of data to stack nebula and galaxies with very impressive results and a fair bit of knowledge on trial and error shared around.
04-12-2022, 02:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Does astrotracer work in M mode?
I would say yes, but I will check for sure.

04-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! The advice was helpful. The Green Button trick while in B is exactly what I wanted!
09-14-2022, 05:09 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reading the manual, it says to use astrotracer only in Bulb. OK. I want to take 30+ 30" exposures and stack them as Ive seen others do. The idea of sitting there and counting to 30 over 30 times as I hold the remote shutter release isn't appealing. Will the Astrotracer actually work in Manual mode so that I can set the exposure or is there another trick to doing this?
I finally realised that when the GPS unit on and you switch to bulb, notice the bottom RH corner of your screen. The green button has been re-assigned and if you have it unticked you can choose exposure time up to the limit the astro trace function has calculated for your lens. Press it again and you are back to bulb which incidentally is over ridden. Press the shutter and it stays open for the max calculated. This is not in any instructions or even on the Ricoh astrotracer promo page. Very annoying having to work it out. Good luck.
09-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

That's good information thanks for posting.

My experience is that the maximum recommended times are optimistic and are probably based on maximum sensor shift but don't take into account other astrotracer inaccuracies. Most users settle on maximum times in the 20 sec to 2 minutes depending on focal length to achieve good star shapes relatively consistently from exposure to exposure.

Ricoh/pentax definitely won't win awards for producing comprehensive manuals!