Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2022, 08:33 AM   #1

Pentax ZX-7 misbehaving

I got this second hand Pentax yesterday, at first the mirror won’t come down but after several minutes I inserted batteries again and It did. Now when I press any button there’s a weird sound happening inside the main grip point (I suspect some kind of motor?) camera is completely unresponsive. Nothing works, not even the automatic focus. Any ideas?

04-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let it sit with batteries in it, powered on for a couple days. It may kill the batteries, but it may help the capacitors come back into working condition.
Start in manual mode, and try exercising dials and buttons.
Did you load it with film in a DX canister?
04-15-2022, 08:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Let it sit with batteries in it, powered on for a couple days. It may kill the batteries, but it may help the capacitors come back into working condition.
Okay, will let it on for the next couple days, yes the canister even though it’s a re-loaded one has the correct DX code of the film, I’m trying to upload a video of the issue.
04-15-2022, 08:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Here is the video of the problem:
Pentax Zx-7 weird noise when pressing buttons, anyone know what could it be? : AnalogCommunity

04-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #5

Sounds like the classic mirror drive motor gear problem. Same symptoms as my MZ-50 (ZX-50). Depending on the market region the series was sold as MZ or ZX. The sound you hear is either the mirror or film advance motor running.

Read more about the problem in the MZ/ZX series:
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - PentaxForums.com
04-15-2022, 09:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like the classic mirror drive motor gear problem. Same symptoms as my MZ-50 (ZX-50). Depending on the market region the series was sold as MZ or ZX. The sound you hear is either the mirror or film advance motor running.

Read more about the problem in the MZ/ZX series:
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - PentaxForums.com
I’m going to get it fixed at a camera repair shop, fingers crossed, thanks for telling me the problem.
04-15-2022, 11:04 PM   #7

If it is the mirror motor gear is broken you'll need a replacement. There should be a link to a website in Poland that you can buy a compatible gear.