Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2022, 11:10 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
It would be nice if you would be a little more precise and answer the question. Is there a relation to photography in your stories that I have missed because I cant feel the vibes. I think that this forum is about photography in a broad sense, it is dangerous to open for topics not related to this. Where is the limit?
Personally, I find it a fun way of introducing a discussion of photography basics. I have no problem with adding humor, which adds interest for those of us who may already know much of this but perhaps not all of it. I'll admit learning a thing or two from Clackers "Beginners" threads, and being reminded of others I DID know but tend not to think about.

04-30-2022, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Personally, I find it a fun way of introducing a discussion of photography basics. I have no problem with adding humor, which adds interest for those of us who may already know much of this but perhaps not all of it. I'll admit learning a thing or two from Clackers "Beginners" threads, and being reminded of others I DID know but tend not to think about.
I have heard it said, although I have no personal experience, that some people from Scandinavia find humour and jokes difficult to comprehend or appreciate.
05-01-2022, 04:33 AM - 9 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personal opinion here: I see this series as pitched at relative beginners to photography who want to go deeper. Nit-picking about the definition of "beginner" adds nothing to the experience, or the value of the information.

Lacing some really useful information with a lashing of humour is appreciated by the vast majority. If you're not into a sneaky giggle, that's your problem.

Can we please leave out the non-contributory negativity?
05-01-2022, 05:41 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moderator opinion here:

Perhaps my earlier post was too subtle. These threads are not for arguing.

Stop now, or there will be wholesale post deletions and thread bans thrown around.

05-01-2022, 09:23 AM - 6 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Personal opinion here: I see this series as pitched at relative beginners to photography who want to go deeper.
Exactly!

One of the big challenges for "beginners to photography who want to go deeper" is that modern cameras contain such sophisticated exposure metering algorithms that it's very hard to understand why the camera's multi-segment/evaluative meter picked the exposure it picked. Moreover, for many photographers and many shooting scenarios, those automagical exposure settings are good enough. However, sometimes the algorithms fail because of the shooting conditions and sometimes the photographer wants something different from the standard look of standard exposure settings.

In contrast, spot metering uses no inscrutable algorithms, has easily explicable effects on the image, lets the photographer really understand tonality because that is exactly what the meter measures, and gives the photographer total control.

In that regard, spot metering is a great idea for beginners who want to understand the relationship between tonality and exposure.

Last edited by photoptimist; 05-01-2022 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typoe