Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
The flash light hits the photo only when the shutter speed is less than the stated on

I have a Pentax K-x with ~20k shutter activations. Recently, I've been shooting my friend at studio with Hensel studio lights. But, when I tried to go sync the flash at speed higher than 1/50th, the light from flash seemed to NOT hit the sensor. At 1/50th image is lit properly, but if I go any faster, I see that light from the flash clearly didn't hit the sensor and my photos are underexposed. I bought a Nikon SB-25 flash today and encountered the same trouble.
What can it be?

05-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Cameras have model specific 'flash sync' speeds that need to be met due to physical limitations with the shutter curtains.
You'll want to learn about High Speed Sync (HSS) compatible flashes if you want to exceed that threshold.
Hope that helps
05-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Cameras have model specific 'flash sync' speeds that need to be met due to physical limitations with the shutter curtains.
You'll want to learn about High Speed Sync (HSS) compatible flashes if you want to exceed that threshold.
Hope that helps
I checked the manual for K-x, it says 1/180th. HOWEVER, at that speed the light does not get on the photo, only at 1/50th or slower, which isn't quite nice for me.
05-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-x has a flash sync speed of 1/180th sec so should do better than 1/50th sec. How are you connecting to the studio flash system? What flash mode are you setting on the camera?

05-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It could be a flash sync issue, but 1/50 is not even close to the Kx flash sync speed of 1/180. Also, sync issues usually result in part of the photo exposed, and part dark, because the second curtain started to close before the flash fired. It's almost as if the shutter has not started to open before the flash fired.
05-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
The K-x has a flash sync speed of 1/180th sec so should do better than 1/50th sec. How are you connecting to the studio flash system? What flash mode are you setting on the camera?
I tried both manual and wireless flash modes, I'm shoting in M. Using a hot shoe mounted flash synchroniser, off-brand. It sets the flash off correctly, but proper exposure is only achieavable at 1/50, at 1/60th I have dark strip on the photo, any faster gets me an underexposed photo. It happens even with the built-in flash(tested just now), and I don't understand what is wrong with the camera.
05-10-2022, 02:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Si1maron Quote
It happens even with the built-in flash(tested just now), and I don't understand what is wrong with the camera.
Just for the purposes of diagnosis, with the lens set to "A" (if it has an aperture ring), does the built-in flash still give problems with the camera in P mode?

05-10-2022, 02:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just for the purposes of diagnosis, with the lens set to "A" (if it has an aperture ring), does the built-in flash still give problems with the camera in P mode?
yep it is.
05-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since it's doing the same with two different flashes, the chances are pretty high that it has to do with the camera which you seemed to have realized. Does your camera have any other settings for flash (e.g. trailing shutter) that might have been selected by accident? You could try resetting your camera to factory settings but this will lose any settings you've programmed it with. The factory settings should work up to the specified shutter sync speed of 1/180s unless there's an issue with the flash sync in your camera.
05-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Since it's doing the same with two different flashes, the chances are pretty high that it has to do with the camera which you seemed to have realized. Does your camera have any other settings for flash (e.g. trailing shutter) that might have been selected by accident? You could try resetting your camera to factory settings but this will lose any settings you've programmed it with. The factory settings should work up to the specified shutter sync speed of 1/180s unless there's an issue with the flash sync in your camera.
just tried that with no results whatsoever. reset, tried with built in flash, with sb25(which goes off only at 1/180 or slower), but still isn't syncing properly.
05-10-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah! That sounds like it might be the problem. There's always a bit of a delay as the commands travel from your camera, to the flash transmitter, to the flash receiver to the flash that can cause some delay. I used to shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II and though the flash sync speed of the camera was listed at 160th of a second, I think, I had to lower the shutter speed to 1/125 to reliably get wireless triggered flashes to fire.

Going from 1/180 to 1/50 to get reliable sync seems quite a big delay. Can you try any alternative triggers?

Also can you use a sync cable to the flash? This would check whether there is anything in the camera contributing to your sync problems.

Regards

Chris
05-10-2022, 04:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Ah! That sounds like it might be the problem. There's always a bit of a delay as the commands travel from your camera, to the flash transmitter, to the flash receiver to the flash that can cause some delay. I used to shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II and though the flash sync speed of the camera was listed at 160th of a second, I think, I had to lower the shutter speed to 1/125 to reliably get wireless triggered flashes to fire.

Going from 1/180 to 1/50 to get reliable sync seems quite a big delay. Can you try any alternative triggers?

Also can you use a sync cable to the flash? This would check whether there is anything in the camera contributing to your sync problems.

Regards

Chris
I don't remember the K-x having a X-sync port, only the hot shoe, and I used exclusively the hot shoe with wireless synchroniser, with sb25, and well, the built-in.
I remember that there is this little nub on the hot shoe, can it be a problem?
Attached Images

05-10-2022, 05:16 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a Nikon SB-25 flash today and encountered the same trouble.
What can it be?
What happens if you put the SB-25 directly into the hotshoe?

If it works at 1/180s, you have your answer - buy a better radio trigger!
05-10-2022, 05:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What happens if you put the SB-25 directly into the hotshoe?

If it works at 1/180s, you have your answer - buy a better radio trigger!
Same thing that happens with studio's Hensel and radio trigger, and same thing that happens with built-in. At 1/180 my camera doesn't catch light from flash, nor built-in, nor studio with radio trigger, nor my new sb25. only 1/50 or slower.
05-10-2022, 08:53 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Same thing that happens with studio's Hensel and radio trigger, and same thing that happens with built-in. At 1/180 my camera doesn't catch light from flash, nor built-in, nor studio with radio trigger, nor my new sb25. only 1/50 or slower.
Yep, something definitely wrong if the built in flash doesn't work.