Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2022, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know several people have suggested steps to try to diagnose the problem, but can I have you go through a few more?

Go into the menu and reset all settings to default. This may be in the menu twice, one for the camera settings and one for the custum functions. Please reset both. Take the camera battery out for 30 seconds, then put it back in. Make sure you're in manual mode and set your shutter speed to 1/100 second, ISO 100, and f/8. Lastly, make sure you're in "Manual Flash Discharge" mode, not slow speed or trailing curtain mode. Raise your onboard flash and take a picture. Are you still getting a black bar?

05-11-2022, 02:21 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I know several people have suggested steps to try to diagnose the problem, but can I have you go through a few more?

Go into the menu and reset all settings to default. This may be in the menu twice, one for the camera settings and one for the custum functions. Please reset both. Take the camera battery out for 30 seconds, then put it back in. Make sure you're in manual mode and set your shutter speed to 1/100 second, ISO 100, and f/8. Lastly, make sure you're in "Manual Flash Discharge" mode, not slow speed or trailing curtain mode. Raise your onboard flash and take a picture. Are you still getting a black bar?
Yes, it's still there, still at 1/60, at 1/50 it syncs correctly, any higher gets me a dark photo. Tried everything in exact order you said.
05-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Si1maron Quote
I tried both manual and wireless flash modes, I'm shoting in M. Using a hot shoe mounted flash synchroniser, off-brand. It sets the flash off correctly, but proper exposure is only achieavable at 1/50, at 1/60th I have dark strip on the photo, any faster gets me an underexposed photo. It happens even with the built-in flash(tested just now), and I don't understand what is wrong with the camera.
What do you mean by shooting in M? Do you use a manual lens? And what lens or which lenses do you use?
05-12-2022, 06:34 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems that there is a delay in opening the shutter. Whether it's a problem with electronics or hardware might be moot for you but a few more things to try:
Use slow speed sync between 1/50 and 1/180. That might circumvent an electronic issue.
Test exposures without flash at 1/50 - 1/180+. A if one leaf is lagging, it should be obvious as uneven or underexposure.

After resetting all the electronics to original, the most likely cause would be worn shutter.

05-12-2022, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is strange to me is that at 1/50 you get full light and 1/60 you get zero light. My k100 use to get 1/90 full light, 1/125 half frame of light, 1/180 no light or a sliver. The shutter blade should be covering part of the frame at some speeds.

In my case if my transmitter or my pentax 360 flash had low batteries this happened. My sb-28s always worked fine.

I wonder if you can synch to the rear curtain and try. I am not sure if your light set up allows that. If your flash is going off early this might work.
05-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It sets the flash off correctly, but proper exposure is only achieavable at 1/50, at 1/60th I have dark strip on the photo, any faster gets me an underexposed photo.
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
What is strange to me is that at 1/50 you get full light and 1/60 you get zero light. . . .
I wonder if you can synch to the rear curtain and try. I am not sure if your light set up allows that. If your flash is going off early this might work.
At 1/60th, the dark strip seems to point to the shutter being partly closed, meaning the flash is gong off too late (maybe). Still, trailing curtain might work if the problem is electronic (program) vs physical (worn shutter) by using a different program function.
05-25-2022, 06:38 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a fresh set of batteries installed , camera on, empty hot shoe, press up on pop up flash button,, mode in TV or M.. rear thumbwheel turned to the right, your flash sync should be 180 with half press on shutter release button. Both my 1ST DS and DL do this. They also show Sync speed of 80 on the other modes except B…with the kit 18-55 lens. Image exposure is normal. Are you seeing these numbers on your DL?

05-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
What do you mean by shooting in M? Do you use a manual lens? And what lens or which lenses do you use?
My use of flash dates back to when our daughters were young - which was 30 years ago - so my knowledge goes back to then.
In general, I don’t trust new-fangled stuff.
I still have - and use - the Vivitar flash I used back then.
I shoot in ‘M’ camera mode {instead of ‘Av’ mode} even though I tend to use an “FA” autofocus lens with my “auto” flash ….
sometimes I set the flash itself to ‘M’ {instead of ‘auto’ mode}.
Because of US electrical standards, I set the shutter speed to 1/60 second.
These methods are old - but they tend to work for almost all circumstances - even today.
05-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I don't remember the K-x having a X-sync port, only the hot shoe, and I used exclusively the hot shoe with wireless synchroniser, with sb25, and well, the built-in.
I remember that there is this little nub on the hot shoe, can it be a problem?
I don't see an answer to your question.
I don't believe it is relevant, but deserves a response.

When I purchased my first 35mm camera in 1969, it had only a "cold shoe" on the top {right below the word "Yashica"} which supported the flash unit {a bulb unit} and provided a single electrical contact.
The other contact came from a "pc" cord plugged into the side {into the socket marked "X"}

A "hot shoe" developed from this.
At first, the middle of the "cold shoe" became an insulator, with a small conductor to provide the second contact,
and other contacts were imbedded in the insulator for other control signals.
If the flash unit is not aligned correctly, the center contact on the flash won't align properly with the center contact on the camera - and no flash at all!