Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
You're correct. It does the conversion. The biggest advantage to Flickr is that you are not constrained to image dimensions of 1400x900 pixels. I find that uploading an image of 6192x4128 pixels, from my K-3III, to Flickr yields a better looking image when viewed on PF than does the same image downsampled to 1350x900 (as close as you can get to 1400x900 when the original is at the native K-3III pixel dimensions) on my computer and than uploading it to PF directly. Going through Flickr seems to retain more detail.
Ah, exactly what I was trying to ask! Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-13-22 at 14:44 ----------

OK, joined Flickr and uploaded this: madison_wi_gal | Flickr

EXIF seems to be there. Sweet!

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 05-13-2022 at 12:44 PM. Reason: fixed
05-13-2022, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good start!
05-14-2022, 05:31 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
A good start!

Re: your signature: I was saving Bezos bucks for years (gifts from my workplace, contests, rewards from my HMO, etc.) and it was down to a 65" TV or a KP. Fell in love with the KP limited series (only in Japan) and was trying to figure out how to get the dark red one.

By the time I had decided just to get a regular KP, it was d/c'd. And then the K3 III sale!

So: you have both.

Compare and contrast, please?

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 05-14-2022 at 05:36 AM. Reason: added a word
05-14-2022, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Re: your signature: I was saving Bezos bucks for years (gifts from my workplace, contests, rewards from my HMO, etc.) and it was down to a 65" TV or a KP. Fell in love with the KP limited series (only in Japan) and was trying to figure out how to get the dark red one.

By the time I had decided just to get a regular KP, it was d/c'd. And then the K3 III sale!

So: you have both.

Compare and contrast, please?
I originally started (in digital) with a cheap second-hand K50 in late 2018, some basic lens, and a gap of nearly 40 yrs away from photography (late 1970s early 1980s - Pentax K2 and Pentax ME). As a result, I was making all sorts of stupid mistakes (like not checking my shutter speed and shooting waaay too slow hand-held - motion blur all over the place!!!)

The jump to the KP seemed mind-blowing, but I also accompanied that step-up with 3 modern lens - the 55-300mm PLM, the 16-85mm, and the 100mm Macro, and eventually the 150-450mm (all Pentax gear). That 150-450mm gave me some great close-up pics with good detail that was definitely a step-up from the 55-300mm PLM (which is still a good lens).

The K3 iii, with the 150-450 is giving me more keepers of birds in flight shots, and I am extremely surprised that I am, for the most part, using the 150-450mm lens mostly hand-held with the K3 iii.

I love the little joystick on the K3 iii for moving the focus point for better framing, and I am getting better results when trying burst shooting modes.

I don't push my luck with high ISO shots (except by the occasional mistake and inattention!) so cannot comment on how the KP and K3 iii compare in that department.
And with 78 yr old eyes, and so little experience with digital, I am probably not the best person to comment on other more technical comparisons - eg dynamic range, exposure performance etc.

It might be interesting to see what stories/comments/opinions you might get from more experienced members who have used both cameras, if you opened a thread with that question.

Cheers
Peter

05-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, will let this post sit here a few days and see if we get any more comments.
05-15-2022, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
see if we get any more comments
As a "third party" in this, I find it rather irritating that Flickr links to photos lead to a near-screen-sized pop up asking me for my cookie preferences. Even if I select "Reject All" it still sticks me with 22 cookies, and if I close the tab without even doing that it sticks me with 16 of them; I've just tried it. In fact I don't usually click through to see the pictures when that happens. I don't like cookies on my PC, tracking what I do, unless they are associated with my membership of something like my bank or PF. For web sites of which I am not a member I usually use Private Browsing mode which deletes cookies on leaving.

Having said that, I did persist for once to see your pictures and I'm very impressed by them
05-15-2022, 06:56 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
As a "third party" in this, I find it rather irritating that Flickr links to photos lead to a near-screen-sized pop up asking me for my cookie preferences. Even if I select "Reject All" it still sticks me with 22 cookies, and if I close the tab without even doing that it sticks me with 16 of them; I've just tried it. In fact I don't usually click through to see the pictures when that happens. I don't like cookies on my PC, tracking what I do, unless they are associated with my membership of something like my bank or PF. For web sites of which I am not a member I usually use Private Browsing mode which deletes cookies on leaving.

Having said that, I did persist for once to see your pictures and I'm very impressed by them
Thanks. I'm slowly getting a few up there. The EXIF out of some is incomplete. Sorry about the cookies, I use a variety of browsers and some are in incognito and some are not. I generally clear stuff out after a few days. Google and Microsoft already know way more about me and my habits than I care to worry about.

05-17-2022, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote

The Ghostery browser add-on is free and pretty good at blocking cookies and ads.

I use flickr - I have a pro account because I sell lenses and other photographic gear and have albums for the more interesting items, and had several thousand images there when they introduced a limit on the number of files. It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than my previous choice, which was photobucket - I really can't imagine how they're still in business.
06-15-2022, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I've heard of 500pix and Flickr, thoughts on these for RAW (meaning unedited PEF or DNG) images? I am unconcerned (at the moment) about an internet thief taking my crappy image and selling it.
In case this helps, Flickr supports PNG files as well as JPG. As I believe someone else pointed out, you can post TIFF files there as well.

I typically use Flickr to post here.

Sometimes, I also post images from my Photofocus articles.

And since I also have a Ken Lee Photography Wordpress blog, I am able to post from there as well.

The photos all seem to look fine when posted here in the Pentax Forums!