Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2022, 06:05 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Preferred place to post unsquished photos?

I enjoy the Pentax Forum but (unless I am not understanding the rules) we are limited to a 2 MB image size, which means I have to squoosh images even if I am just asking folks here to look at them. I don't have editing software yet (suggestions welcome) so I have to export from Photos, open in Preview (on Mac) and squish. Meh.

I've heard of 500pix and Flickr, thoughts on these for RAW (meaning unedited PEF or DNG) images? I am unconcerned (at the moment) about an internet thief taking my crappy image and selling it.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 05-12-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarification
05-12-2022, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I enjoy the Pentax Forum but (unless I am not understanding the rules) we are limited to a 2 MB image size, which means I have to squoosh images even if I am just asking folks here to look at them. I don't have editing software yet (suggestions welcome) so I have to export from Photos, open in Preview (on Mac) and squish. Meh.

I've heard of 500pix and Flickr, thoughts on these for RAW images? I am unconcerned (at the moment) about an internet thief taking my crappy image and selling it.
Don't know about the other but I am happy with flickr.com

And depending on the number of photos stored, it may be free
05-12-2022, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I like Flickr but note that it stores jpgs, not RAW (DNG or PEF) format. That's adequate for sharing and large screen display. If you want a RAW photo backup in case you want to edit the photo later, though, Flickr will come up short.
05-12-2022, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note that you can save TIFF files on Flickr, so you're not stuck with the quality limitations of jpeg.

05-12-2022, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Madison -

You can easily change the size of your images when you export from Apple Photos. Here's how:
  1. Highlight the photo or photos.
  2. Go to File > Export > Export xx Photo(s).
  3. When the selection window pops up, click the ∨ to the right of the "Photo Kind" choice. It will become ^ and a window will add choices.
  4. You will now see size choices: Small, Medium, Large, Full Size, and Custom. Small, Medium, & Large are set size and may suffice.
  5. If you want a custom size, select Custom and you can then type in the size in pixels.

There is no need to go over to preview and resize your photo there.
05-12-2022, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've heard of 500pix and Flickr, thoughts on these for RAW images?
I have used Flickr for years. Very happy.

RAW images ? No such thing Sir. RAW is not an image file format
05-12-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
RAW images ? No such thing Sir. RAW is not an image file format
Point taken. DNG. PEF. Whatever not jpg.

05-12-2022, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
@Madison -

You can easily change the size of your images when you export from Apple Photos. Here's how:
  1. Highlight the photo or photos.
  2. Go to File > Export > Export xx Photo(s).
  3. When the selection window pops up, click the ∨ to the right of the "Photo Kind" choice. It will become ^ and a window will add choices.
  4. You will now see size choices: Small, Medium, Large, Full Size, and Custom. Small, Medium, & Large are set size and may suffice.
  5. If you want a custom size, select Custom and you can then type in the size in pixels.

There is no need to go over to preview and resize your photo there.
Yes, tried that. Medium works OK. Thanks!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 05-12-2022 at 12:38 PM. Reason: aded thanks
05-13-2022, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard of 500pix and Flickr, thoughts on these for RAW (meaning unedited PEF or DNG) images? I am unconcerned (at the moment) about an internet thief taking my crappy image and selling it.
I first started using Microsoft OneDrive to store my unedited .DNG files. My subscription to Office 365 gave me 5 TB of storage free. It allowed for storing in folders, etc, and creating links to individual files or whole folders to send to friends for sharing. It is slow rendering these large files on-screen. It also occasionally lost the ability to look at some of the .DNG files, even when it had been happily displaying these files for months. It never had that problem with .JPG files.

I now use Flickr, and am paying for Flickr Pro to enable me to share with friends without them being forced to put up with periodic advertisements etc. Flickr allows for organising your files into albums, and for sending links to whole albums to your friends/family. But it won't accept .DNG or PEF files.
05-13-2022, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For posting to Pentax Forums, Flickr is one of the easier options. I usually upload downsized jpegs (3000 pixels on the long dimension) to Flickr and that is more than adequate for posting.
05-13-2022, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can store unlimited photo files, which includes RAW files. Not great for sharing or embedding, which I agree with the Flickr approach.
05-13-2022, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having a "Pro" account, I happily use Flickr for large full size jpegs, but I would never post my raw files publicly.

For the same reason, I would never give away my film negatives; quite simply, they are not completed photographs. It would be like serving up raw dough for tasting before it was baked into a cake.
05-13-2022, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Flickr for sharing jpeg, it's good and convenient for sharing on e.g. Pentax Forums. I use Amazon Photos as one of my backup places for all my photos including RAW files. It has basic sharing features but it's not as convenient as Flickr.

Concerning jpeg and RAW, I won't share RAW files unless I'd like others to post-process that. Jpeg is ready-for-display format, RAW is not.

It's up to sharing platforms how RAW files are displayed on screen (if RAW is allowed at all). Some might use embedded jpeg inside RAW (jpeg is produced and embedded into RAW by the camera even if you only shoot in RAW), Amazon Photos can render RAW on its own, but either way it's not for me. I shoot in RAW to make the picture look the way I like using the tools of my choice.
05-13-2022, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Note that you can save TIFF files on Flickr, so you're not stuck with the quality limitations of jpeg.
It's my understanding that Flickr converts TIFF to JPG. Have you actually tested uploading then downloading a TIFF with Flickr to confirm that you get your original TIFF back, or does it go through a lossy compression?
05-13-2022, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're correct. It does the conversion. The biggest advantage to Flickr is that you are not constrained to image dimensions of 1400x900 pixels. I find that uploading an image of 6192x4128 pixels, from my K-3III, to Flickr yields a better looking image when viewed on PF than does the same image downsampled to 1350x900 (as close as you can get to 1400x900 when the original is at the native K-3III pixel dimensions) on my computer and then uploading it to PF directly. Going through Flickr seems to retain more detail.

Last edited by subsea; 05-13-2022 at 10:38 PM.