Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2022, 10:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 35mm Art and dock adjustments

Morning from Colorado!

I have a Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art lens and the dock. I'm using the lens on the K-3iii and K-1ii. I discovered at f1.4, it front focuses slightly and I tried to use the Dock to make adjustments. While I was able to set it correctly at short range, when trying it at infinity, the lens produced images similar to me without glasses Resetting to default settings returned it to pretty good (not great), but still front focused at close range.

I now have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone been able to absolutely fine tune their lens using the dock or am I being too impatient with my settings?
2) Does the dock really improve your focus with this lens?
3) If you've had good success making adjustments, what's your secret?

AnotherVoice

05-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the dock with both the Art 35 and 18-35. In use the Art seems absolutely spot-on now with the K3III, but I can't say I've tested it at infinity. I might have but suspect not because of what I use it for, full-body portraits and modeling. The 18-35 needs adjustment across the range of the zoom, and on the short end, up to perhaps 20 feet away, it's perfect after the dock visit. On the longer end I remember it not being as crisp as I like but I'd actually have to look again.

So short answer is the dock worked for me, but to completely answer your question I'll have to put them both on camera and carefully look at a full range.
05-13-2022, 05:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AnotherVoice Quote
Morning from Colorado!

I have a Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art lens and the dock. I'm using the lens on the K-3iii and K-1ii. I discovered at f1.4, it front focuses slightly and I tried to use the Dock to make adjustments. While I was able to set it correctly at short range, when trying it at infinity, the lens produced images similar to me without glasses Resetting to default settings returned it to pretty good (not great), but still front focused at close range.
Mine is pretty good, though occasionally inconsistent. I ended up making no adjustments in the dock. I use it on the K1, but haven't tried it on the K3iii yet.
05-14-2022, 02:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you use the in-body focus adjustment for close-up, or does that throw all of the dock adjustments off?

05-14-2022, 03:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Returned the first A35art due to focus issues, returned the second one with dock as well for the same reason. The dock is a decent idea, you feel like you are in control. It reality it means that Sigma imposes finetuning on the user and the process is a nightmare. If you carefully calibrate all settings, you can spend hours. I am done with Sigma and the dock. I would wait for the Pentax * release in this area.
05-14-2022, 04:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found that the lens focused fine on the first short and then missed everywhere unless I turned off the camera and removed the lens. Hours spent with the dock didnít solve anything. I returned both.