Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2022, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
As another event photographer I would say "it depends". No one is wrong. [/B]
I said it wasn't true, not saying event or wedding togs must shoot Jpg or anything. The statement was that shooting Jpgs vs Post processing (RAWs) comes out to being swings and roundabouts time wise. I said that is not true. Speaking from personal experience and of course being in an industry of others adopting same practices (as well as brand ambassadors) we can all agree this workflow vastly speeds up. Time is money. If it was about the same time, and we had to take more care in the field for little to no benefit it wouldn't be a thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Have any of you taken a look at the videos of Takumichi Seo? He is a favorite of Ricoh/Pentax and seems to be a successful Japanese pro. His videos are in Japanese but are enjoyable and instructive to watch. I mention him here because he seems to work in JPG making multiple settings as he works. Here is a link to something on the Ricoh site: Takumichi Seo with PENTAX: The Memory of Light / explore | RICOH IMAGING.
Thank you, I am aware of his work but not this site, will check out, ta.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife shoots weddings and she has told me multiple times that what takes time is not processing images, but rather figuring out which images to keep, cloning out little things, and doing face swaps for families with lots of little children. Once she takes care of those sorts of things, the actual processing doesn't take much time at all.

She is really careful about things like white balance and will say things like, "I think the couple's skin is too pink here..." when I can't see anything wrong with the image. Once she is satisfied with one image, it is a very simple matter to get it synced to multiple other images though.

It sounds like you are at a different place and there's nothing wrong with that. I guess the important thing is that you are comfortable with what you do, not that one size fits all.
Culling, skin tones, fixing faces, yep definitely time consuming. Tbh I think much of this is camera dependent too. Whilst I shoot Fuji and Pentax I would feel comfortable doing events Jpg style with Fuji but not Pentax. The MILC system 'supports' the user more with the WYSIWYG and I think Fuji wins the prize for being able to produce a wild and varied in camera outcome (just have a look at all these options);

https://fujixweekly.com/fujifilm-x-trans-iv-recipes/

But here we promote Pentax and if you steal even the basic ideas of these 'recipes' and apply to Pentax you'll be quite amazed at the results, but it does feel like it suits casual non time sensitive work.

05-20-2022, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife shoots weddings and she has told me multiple times that what takes time is not processing images... and doing face swaps for families with lots of little children.
I'm guessing this means swapping out faces of the same kid from different shots, so their eyes aren't closed, they aren't making funny faces, etc? Because the first three times I read this post I was trying to figure out scenarios where someone else's kid was standing next to your buddy Wayne, and your wife spent hours putting Wayne's daughter's face on them. Or other even more convoluted, sci-fi-esque situations with dozens of kids running about with mismatched faces.
05-20-2022, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #63
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm guessing this means swapping out faces of the same kid from different shots, so their eyes aren't closed, they aren't making funny faces, etc? Because the first three times I read this post I was trying to figure out scenarios where someone else's kid was standing next to your buddy Wayne, and your wife spent hours putting Wayne's daughter's face on them. Or other even more convoluted, sci-fi-esque situations with dozens of kids running about with mismatched faces.

or even my thought - every child in the room has the same face.....

weird...
05-20-2022, 04:52 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
But here we promote Pentax.
...but not to the exclusion of others. This thread, and the OP's question, was not about selecting a camera. She already did that. It was about best practices for the features of the Pentax camera she now owns. We absolutely encourage discussion and photo posting from other camera brands, and there are ample threads and sub-forums in which to do so. There's even a Fuji X series-specific one.
Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Other Camera Brands - PentaxForums.com

We have a number of members who shoot multiple systems for various reasons, some such as yourself generally preferring a non-Pentax one, and others simply curious or considering something else and researching. Everyone is welcome.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-20-2022 at 05:55 AM.
05-20-2022, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For OP, I use K-3 Mk III and I shot both. I like choosing the setting I will use for the session as much as I liked to select film in analog times. And I have RAW for the more technical shots where I aim for details and accuracy rather then artistic effect.

I think RAW is actually easier to use then JPEG as you can recover from lots of mistakes in post when using RAW, while JPEG is more limited and it is best if you get everything right from the start. From my point of view JPEG is as valid as RAW no matter the camera.
05-20-2022, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Yes, swapping a face from one image where a child is actually looking at the camera and has their eyes open with an image where the same child is not paying attention or has some odd expression.

With normal couples portraits you just to take four or five images of a given pose and you are bound to have one where both have their eyes open and you just pitch the other images. With a large family, particularly when kids are involved, every image will probably have a couple of children doing something odd.
05-20-2022, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
added: Remember, the sun processes across the sky in a uniform, predictable, way.
Games last only so long, and in the US, ‘sideline photogs’ can pick where they take their shots from.
I doubt any professionals choose a spot that will have them shooting into the sun, for example.
Golf is one sport I’m not familiar with the conditions of.
A few points...
  • Games only last so long, but clouds often change lighting conditions moment-to-moment.
  • Maybe pros sometimes can stand anywhere they choose, but I doubt that's always the case. For amateur me I'm often in less-than-optimal spots by necessity. Usually not allowed on the side of the field with the players' benches. Often not allowed inside fences, so it's common that entire sections of the field are off-limits. Last weekend's game had a 15' tall fence behind each goal line, so that entire area was verboten.
  • Soccer fields are over 100m long and 70-80m wide. The action can shift from 120m away with direct sunlight off to my right, to 20m away and backlit but partly cloudy in a matter of seconds.
  • The best photographs include a face and the ball, so I'll stand behind the goal line we're attacking towards when possible. But then our keeper is 100m+ away and most of the defenders about that far.

It's always a series of educated guesses and compromises.

05-20-2022, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the OP has opened a new thread asking for suggested settings with the understanding she's not a professional, I'm going to close this one.
Oh my goodness I might have started some fisticuffs for no reason - PentaxForums.com
Closed Thread