Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2022, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problems with new to me K3iii

Last week I got a refurbished from Ricoh Pentax K3iii. Was excited for the new adventure as my K3 was getting a lot of use. Put in two new SD cards could not get it to actuate the shutter. Reformatted the cards got it to work. Thought I had it solved went to an event to take pictures tried first shot no shutter release and message cannot create folder. Got two different brand new cards worked for a day again. Then the same cannot create folder and card space remaining reads 0 repeat format put in cards works a few times then reads 0 space and cannot create folder. Also when it is working random shots are very over exposed. Ready to return to Ricoh is there something I am missing? Or am I lucky and got a faulty K3iii?

05-20-2022, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first inclination is that you got a faulty one. But before you return it, what brand and type of SD cards are you using? What happens if you only have one SD card in Slot 1?
05-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
My first inclination is that you got a faulty one. But before you return it, what brand and type of SD cards are you using? What happens if you only have one SD card in Slot 1?
For the record, can also have card only in slot 2.

---------- Post added 05-20-22 at 22:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rdeberti Quote
Last week I got a refurbished from Ricoh Pentax K3iii. Was excited for the new adventure as my K3 was getting a lot of use. Put in two new SD cards could not get it to actuate the shutter. Reformatted the cards got it to work. Thought I had it solved went to an event to take pictures tried first shot no shutter release and message cannot create folder. Got two different brand new cards worked for a day again. Then the same cannot create folder and card space remaining reads 0 repeat format put in cards works a few times then reads 0 space and cannot create folder. Also when it is working random shots are very over exposed. Ready to return to Ricoh is there something I am missing? Or am I lucky and got a faulty K3iii?
Did you format in the K-3 III? Just for giggles format in the old K3 and pop into the K-3 III
05-21-2022, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rdeberti Quote
Last week I got a refurbished from Ricoh Pentax K3iii. Ready to return to Ricoh is there something I am missing? Or am I lucky and got a faulty K3iii?
The only time I ever bought a refurbished camera from Ricoh (a Q7), it did not last long before it failed. If a K3iii is already being sold as "refurbished", there's most likely something wrong going on. Better to cut your losses and return it, while you still can. My 2c.

05-21-2022, 01:19 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

You may want to make sure that the cards are not locked.. You may also want to try to format a card in slot 1, then try it in just slot 1. If the cards do not work, you may want to check the camera settings for "memory card options" and "card slot sequence". I would suggest to reset your camera custom functions by using the "reset custom functions" option from your menu, but only if you do not mind losing any functions you may have set already. There is also a reset to factory settings option, but I am not sure if you want to reset everything or not.

It may be a mechanical function with the camera, but trying different options may prove otherwise. If not, as was said, you may want to tell the seller there is something wrong and request a return.