Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2022, 02:39 AM   #1

Updating firmware for a K-30

Hi folks,

Further to my recent questions about enabling remote viewing with my K-30, I've discovered that my camera is still running with V 1.00, so I'm trying to update to V 1.06 per the Ricoh web site.

I'm having trouble and there's also something I don't understand. Yes, I'm that green!

Why do I have a choice of Windows or Mac - surely the camera isn't either? What am I missing here?

I have copied each of the upgrades onto a freshly formatted SD card (one at a time) but neither seem to be recognised by the camera because when I insert the card and click through to the Firmware Info/Options panel, I can't then go any further to update the firmware.

05-22-2022, 02:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scubayorp Quote
Hi folks,

Further to my recent questions about enabling remote viewing with my K-30, I've discovered that my camera is still running with V 1.00, so I'm trying to update to V 1.06 per the Ricoh web site.

I'm having trouble and there's also something I don't understand. Yes, I'm that green!

Why do I have a choice of Windows or Mac - surely the camera isn't either? What am I missing here?

I have copied each of the upgrades onto a freshly formatted SD card (one at a time) but neither seem to be recognised by the camera because when I insert the card and click through to the Firmware Info/Options panel, I can't then go any further to update the firmware.
Welcome.
The software is for a windows or a mac computer. You need to extract the software on your computer and place the resulting .bin file in the root folder of the memory card which you'll load to your camera. Make sure you're using a healthy, fully charged battery when you do the firmware update! Good luck.
05-22-2022, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Original Poster
Hi folks,

So, I worked this out myself. I found
to be very easily understood. I now have a K-30 running V 1.06
05-22-2022, 03:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

There is only one upgrade file so I am confused by "each of the upgrades". What was the name of the file you copied to the SD card?

05-22-2022, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome.
The software is for a windows or a mac computer. You need to extract the software on your computer and place the resulting .bin file in the root folder of the memory card which you'll load to your camera. Make sure you're using a healthy, fully charged battery when you do the firmware update! Good luck.
Thanks heaps! Exactly how I got it done.

---------- Post added 05-22-22 at 03:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
There is only one upgrade file so I am confused by "each of the upgrades". What was the name of the file you copied to the SD card?
The two upgrades I referred to were the choice between Windows and Windows/Mac. I didn't understand that I had to pick the version that suited my downloading device and not the camera!
05-22-2022, 03:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks heaps! Exactly how I got it done.

---------- Post added 05-22-22 at 03:03 AM ----------

The two upgrades I referred to were the choice between Windows and Windows/Mac. I didn't understand that I had to pick the version that suited my downloading device and not the camera!
I don't know why they offer both the Windows file and the Windows/Mac file when the zip file works on both

05-22-2022, 04:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You might want to upgrade it further with the k-50 firmware. this is a mod done by some talented fellow here in the forums. It adds the ability to use eye-fi card and use plm lenses. it is not official but the feedback on the mod has been mostly positive, and I myself can also testify. Just search the forums for "k-50 firmware on k-30".

05-22-2022, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
You might want to upgrade it further with the k-50 firmware. this is a mod done by some talented fellow here in the forums. It adds the ability to use eye-fi card and use plm lenses. it is not official but the feedback on the mod has been mostly positive, and I myself can also testify. Just search the forums for "k-50 firmware on k-30".
Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com
but... he already got that link in a different thread.