Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2022, 05:17 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 23: Flash Extenders Pt 1

Good morning all, I've decided that at every party there are two kinds of people - those who want to go home and those who don't.

The trouble is, they're usually married to each other.

While I was pondering other world-changing thoughts like that, my boss came to me at lunch: 'Where the hell have you been?' he asked, 'I've been looking for you all morning!"

I shrugged: "You've said it before, good employees are hard to find."

Now, if you've been following my tips, I reckon lighting is all important in photography, and conditions inside a forest can be terrible. Flash can be just as useful with animals as people.

Interestingly, I've found birds react to sounds (a shutter *can* be reminiscent of a breaking twig on the ground), movement, or having a camera pointed at them (perhaps they see the lens as an eye, and in nature, being stared at is the preliminary to attack), but not a flash going off - almost as if it's beyond their understanding.

Beginners many only have a popup flash on their camera, but there is a Fresnel extender available for those (Fresnels are also used in lighthouses).
Rogue Safari Flash Extender

The very old photo below of an Australian kookaburra (basically a big kingfisher) was I think with a K-30, a screwdrive DA55-300 and Rogue Safari over the popup.

To finish with this week, there's the story of an elderly man with serious hearing problems. It was some years before a doctor fitted him with a set of 100 percent effective aids.

At the checkup one month later, the doctor said: "Reg, your hearing is perfect. Your family must be pleased for you."

Reginald replied: "Oh, I haven't told them yet. I just sit around and listen to the conversations. I've changed my will three times."

Next Week in Beginners Tips: Timing in Landscape Photography

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

05-27-2022, 07:55 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought your joke about work was your best one yet. I also thought your tip on shutter sound and what birds or other critters react to was the key point That is the key tip but let all try it all and decide for themselves.

I sat with a woman today who had been there for 3 hours. She told me of all the birds she saw (with her Canon and 600mm on a monopod) They all came close because she waited and didn't make sounds or focus on them. I move. They see me approach, or point a lens at them, or any attention to them at all is too much within a certain range. Later I sat on the phone as bird after bird landed in front of me. I didn't give any reason to think I was a threat. Dragonflies key in on eyes. I learned to approach behind the camera. They do not perceive the lens as a predator. You know you won't harm them but makes them think you won't harm them is more important. I have lost many shots this year being to eager to get it.

Don't be what they see as a threat. Behind the lens I walked right up to this one and I also used a flash. It never saw me as a threat.
05-29-2022, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I thought your joke about work was your best one yet. I also thought your tip on shutter sound and what birds or other critters react to was the key point That is the key tip but let all try it all and decide for themselves.

I sat with a woman today who had been there for 3 hours. She told me of all the birds she saw (with her Canon and 600mm on a monopod) They all came close because she waited and didn't make sounds or focus on them. I move. They see me approach, or point a lens at them, or any attention to them at all is too much within a certain range. Later I sat on the phone as bird after bird landed in front of me. I didn't give any reason to think I was a threat. Dragonflies key in on eyes. I learned to approach behind the camera. They do not perceive the lens as a predator. You know you won't harm them but makes them think you won't harm them is more important. I have lost many shots this year being to eager to get it.

Don't be what they see as a threat. Behind the lens I walked right up to this one and I also used a flash. It never saw me as a threat.
Yeah, birds are quite robotic - they really visit and revisit the same spots. If it was the movement that frightened them off, getting comfortable in a foldup seat outside the range at which they will flee and just waiting for them to return will get you shots. Camouflage optional. I have speeded things up by playing bird calls for the particular species from my phone into a bluetooth speaker (this is a practice which has to be very, very carefully considered - there are many bird spotters and photographers who refuse to do it - their reasoning can be very sound, too, IMHO!)

Insects and spiders just don't have the thought processes of birds and mammals, I find them very different. The best time is early in the morning where their metabolism can be so slow it can be hard for them to even react to you. Link on dragonflies below:

Photographing dragonflies is easier than you think | Wildlife | The Guardian.

Last edited by clackers; 05-29-2022 at 04:39 PM.
05-30-2022, 08:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have recently developed a new strategy. I get the bird to collect the dragonflies and then just photograph them together.
I have been documenting the birds here for the last couple months. This is one from yesterday. I think it fits with the humor. I also used the fact this bird was both preoccupied with keeping its bounty and being attacked by a robin. It was easy to keep it from seeing me as worth consideration. The robin did consider me and after it left, I lost my advantage, but not before getting this shot.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-30-2022, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good morning all, I've decided that at every party there are two kinds of people - those who want to go home and those who don't.

While I was pondering other world-changing thoughts like that, my boss came to me at lunch: 'Where the hell have you been?' he asked, 'I've been looking for you all morning!"

I shrugged: "You've said it before, good employees are hard to find."

Now, if you've been following my tips, I reckon lighting is all important in photography, and conditions inside a forest can be terrible. Flash can be just as useful with animals as people.

Interestingly, I've found birds react to sounds (a shutter *can* be reminiscent of a breaking twig on the ground), movement, or having a camera pointed at them (perhaps they see the lens as an eye, and in nature, being stared at is the preliminary to attack), but not a flash going off - almost as if it's beyond their understanding.

Beginners many only have a popup flash on their camera, but there is a Fresnel extender available for those (Fresnels are also used in lighthouses).

The very old photo below of an Australian kookaburra (basically a big kingfisher) was I think with a K-30, a screwdrive DA55-300 and Rogue Safari over the popup.

To finish with this week, there's the story of an elderly man with serious hearing problems. It was some years before a doctor fitted him with a set of 100 percent effective aids.

At the checkup one month later, the doctor said: "Reg, your hearing is perfect. Your family must be pleased for you."

Reginald replied: "Oh, I haven't told them yet. I just sit around and listen to the conversations. I've changed my will three times."

Next Week in Beginners Tips: Timing in Landscape Photography

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com
I have heard that birds do not react to flash, as they are used to lightning in storms. Movement, however, is more likely to disturb them - the ones that waited to see if a predator was near were in no position to report their conclusion.
05-30-2022, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have heard that birds do not react to flash, as they are used to lightning in storms.
Yes, well, the flash would be even better than lightning, because no accompanying thunder and air pressure wave.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Movement, however, is more likely to disturb them - the ones that waited to see if a predator was near were in no position to report their conclusion.
And I've noticed that predators like hawks can be very nervous at being scrutinized - they know better than others that observing is the step before attacking. I can get closer to them if I drive up, stay in the car and shoot from the window.
05-30-2022, 05:53 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

My wife has a slightly different version of this one Ian. Hers goes: There are two kinds of people - those who say "It's only 10pm" and those who say "It's already 10pm"

Great tip, as always.

05-30-2022, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

There is a pretty good alternative from JJC as well, that is foldable:
05-31-2022, 03:36 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
There is a pretty good alternative from JJC as well, that is foldable:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOvFC4sbpE
Yes, B3, that one doesn't work on a popup flash, though.

It's for a shoe mount flash.

But it's the kind I actually use myself these days, since I need HSS. The Rogue Safari sits in a drawer.

This is my particular one, and yeah, folding down flat is great, there's no excuse for not bringing it in the bag ...

Better Beamer Flash Extender Review

Last edited by clackers; 05-31-2022 at 04:54 PM.
05-31-2022, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apropos of the noise thing re: birds (or anyone else who gets spooked by noise)

I am so used to my K-r shutter THUD that I wonder sometimes if my K-3 III actually did something.
05-31-2022, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Apropos of the noise thing re: birds (or anyone else who gets spooked by noise)

I am so used to my K-r shutter THUD that I wonder sometimes if my K-3 III actually did something.
Yeah, and as I understand it, the K-3 III's electronic shutter works both with the OVF and flash, right?
05-31-2022, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, and as I understand it, the K-3 III's electronic shutter works both with the OVF and flash, right?
Kobie
says so (for OVF).
05-31-2022, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Full electronic shutter is *very* unlikely to work with flash.

The readout times of the sensor needs to be faster than the burn time of the flash.
Otherwise you only have limited bright area on your dark photo.
05-31-2022, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Full electronic shutter is *very* unlikely to work with flash.

The readout times of the sensor needs to be faster than the burn time of the flash.
Otherwise you only have limited bright area on your dark photo.
Yes, thanks, I can see at DPR that it's *shake reduction* that now works with the electronic shutter, not flash.
06-01-2022, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Strobist has been using electronic shutter and flash since his Nikon d70 to get a higher synch speed without hss with a simple trick.
Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt 1