Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr vs White Balance EXIF

K-3 III set for Multi Segment White Balance. Confirmed with EXIF of RAW file and also in DCU for the DNG and the resulting JPG.

MeteringMode : Multi-segment
AutoBracketing : 0 EV, No Extended Bracket
WhiteBalance : Multi Auto

But uploading to Flickr results in:

Exposure Bias - 0 EV
Metering Mode - Multi-segment
White Balance - Manual

I know that I have to run exiftool "-lensmodel<lenstype to get lenses into Flickr since DCU does not write the lensmodel, is there a similar trick for WhiteBalance?

05-28-2022, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
K-3 III set for Multi Segment White Balance. Confirmed with EXIF of RAW file and also in DCU for the DNG and the resulting JPG.

Exposure Bias - 0 EV
White Balance - Manual

I know that I have to run exiftool "-lensmodel<lenstype to get lenses into Flickr since DCU does not write the lensmodel, is there a similar trick for WhiteBalance?
I may be wrong, but I believe that Ricoh is the only camera maker that uses "multi auto" white balance. The current official exif specification only uses manual and auto white balance, which is what is recognized by Flickr. Anything else, such as "multi auto" white balance defaults to, and is listed by Flickr as, manual. So the quick answer to your question is that it's another parameter that you need to manually set in the Flickr exif listing.
05-28-2022, 08:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
I may be wrong, but I believe that Ricoh is the only camera maker that uses "multi auto" white balance. The current official exif specification only uses manual and auto white balance, which is what is recognized by Flickr. Anything else, such as "multi auto" white balance defaults to, and is listed by Flickr as, manual. So the quick answer to your question is that it's another parameter that you need to manually set in the Flickr exif listing.
Well, the parameter is correct in the uploaded image, so I guess there is nothing I can do. Thanks!
05-28-2022, 09:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Why not just include it as a "Tag", if you feel it's a feature that's important for your audience to care about?

Cheers... M
I am just goofing around on Flickr, it isn't important but I did want to know if it was fixable like the lens info being missing.

05-29-2022, 04:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Flickr reports Multi Auto white balance as Auto on all of my photos, I use Lightroom. I may have to try uploading a photo from DCU sometime. I’m not at home now to check, but are there different parameters for jpg exports in DCU?
05-29-2022, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exposure Bias - 0 EV
White Balance - Manual

I haven't seen an instance where Flickr changes white balance, it may not report it correctly the way you like but nothing is changed in your image. Just ignore that little quirk of Flick and enjoy the comments you get as most viewers really don't care what your white balance is reported as they just want to view your image.
05-29-2022, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am just goofing around on Flickr, it isn't important but I did want to know if it was fixable like the lens info being missing.
The lens info can be easily "fixed" by using EXIFToolGui and it will show in Flickr.

05-29-2022, 06:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Flickr reports Multi Auto white balance as Auto on all of my photos, I use Lightroom. I may have to try uploading a photo from DCU sometime. I’m not at home now to check, but are there different parameters for jpg exports in DCU?
Short answer:

If I process an image only with DxO, it gets reported by Flickr as AUTO (File EXIF does says Multi Auto)
If I process with DCU, it gets reported by Flickr as MANUAL (EXIF file does say Multi Auto)

I use exiftool command line and did a comparison of the 2 EXIFS

I do not see any obvious place where the change is made.

---------- Post added 05-29-22 at 09:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The lens info can be easily "fixed" by using EXIFToolGui and it will show in Flickr.
Yes, I already do that in the command line due to Pentax putting the lens info in the Maker Notes.

exiftool "-lensmodel<lenstype" works great except for Sigma, that one has to be exiftool "-lensmodel<lensID"

This is a case of the correct White Balance in the EXIF but DCU adding info somewhere that negates it per Flickr.
05-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Short answer:

If I process an image only with DxO, it gets reported by Flickr as AUTO (File EXIF does says Multi Auto)
If I process with DCU, it gets reported by Flickr as MANUAL (EXIF file does say Multi Auto)

I use exiftool command line and did a comparison of the 2 EXIFS

I do not see any obvious place where the change is made.

---------- Post added 05-29-22 at 09:28 ----------

Yes, I already do that in the command line due to Pentax putting the lens info in the Maker Notes.

exiftool "-lensmodel<lenstype" works great except for Sigma, that one has to be exiftool "-lensmodel<lensID"

This is a case of the correct White Balance in the EXIF but DCU adding info somewhere that negates it per Flickr.
Can you correct a whole photo session with multiple lens at the same time using the command line? For instance, I just off loaded a series of 250 images using three different lens and used EXIFToolGui to automate adding the lens info from Maker Notes to the EXIF data area. The reason I asked is that I'm not a one who likes using the command commands.

Last edited by Larrymc; 05-29-2022 at 10:38 AM.
05-29-2022, 10:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Can you correct a whole photo session with multiple lens at the same time using the command line? For instance, I just off loaded a series of 250 images using three different lens and used EXIFToolGui to automate adding the lens info from Maker Notes to the EXIF data area. The reason I asked is that I'm not a one who likes using the command commands.
I have done that for more than 1 but less than 250. If any are Sigmas and reporting as 3 (255) then the command is different, but Pentax lenses will be written correctly with just exiftool "-lensmodel<lenstype" *

Do this on copies of originals, not on the SD card (just in case).

On a Mac, it also saves "original"file.
05-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE:

It appears that DCU is actually changing the EXIF data in the WhiteBalance field.

exiftool -WhiteBalance=Auto [the filename] fixes it.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 05-29-2022 at 12:06 PM.