Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2022, 04:27 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners' Tip 24: Timing in Landscape Photography

Good morning everyone, just need to check protocols with you before I buy a leaf blower.

I've never owned one before, just seen other people use them, and I want to make sure I understand the rules.

We just blow the leaves at each other's houses, right?

It can be hard dealing with others. Years ago before getting married I dated my acupuncturist, until she cheated on me.

She was such a backstabber!

This week's tip is on timing. To get good light, a portraitist can move the subject to a better area or use strobes/continuous lighting.

But they're not options for a landscaper.

On holidays, we might need to be absent from our families during breakfast or dinner, because we need to be at the sometimes remote location to get the setting or rising sun in the 'golden hours', and hoping the clouds clear to get the shots.

Ten minutes after this picture, the lighting was flat and the shadows/textures less visible, so it was worth the wet sand on my boots, pants and later in my car. So planning to achieve the window is everything - obviously astro takes it up yet another level!

To finish with, the story of the teenager who brings her new boyfriend home to meet her parents. They're appalled by his haircut, his tattoos, his piercings.

Later, the girl's mother says, "Dear, he doesn't seem to be a very nice boy."

"Oh, please, Mom!" says the daughter. "If he wasn't nice, would he be doing five hundred hours of community service?"

Next Week in Beginners Tips: Converting an SDM lens to Screwdrive

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by clackers; 06-02-2022 at 04:49 PM.
06-02-2022, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You jest, but my neighbor actually attempts to blow leaves into my yard (from across the street). Every fall I have to put a lawn chair out and sit in it and stare menacingly while her leaf blower is on.
06-02-2022, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

The leaves are one thing.
It's the people who blow/plow their snow into the public street, or plow their portion of the sidewalk and leave a pile of compressed snow in my driveway (right where 'their' sidewalk ends), that really get me salty.
06-02-2022, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
The leaves are one thing.
It's the people who blow/plow their snow into the public street, or plow their portion of the sidewalk and leave a pile of compressed snow in my driveway (right where 'their' sidewalk ends), that really get me salty.
That is my *other* neighbor

06-02-2022, 09:40 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
You jest, but my neighbor actually attempts to blow leaves into my yard (from across the street). Every fall I have to put a lawn chair out and sit in it and stare menacingly while her leaf blower is on.
How cheeky, Madison_wi_gal!

BTW, when my wifi stops working, that means my neighbour hasn't paid their bill on time. So yes, I know how irresponsible people can be!
06-03-2022, 02:12 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good morning everyone, just need to check protocols with you before I buy a leaf blower.
I've never owned one before, just seen other people use them, and I want to make sure I understand the rules.
We just blow the leaves at each other's houses, right?
The maintenance man on our estate is quite proud of the fact that he gets paid to walk up the drive blowing all the leaves to one side, then come back a week or two later and blow them all to the other side
06-03-2022, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

O'course, yere in Narfork, us employs a bor to pick leaves up and glue them back on t'trees - looks much neater.

06-03-2022, 07:04 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No one antagonizes the neighbors over snow here. We all get our share. Anyway, IT MELTS ...

06-03-2022, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #9
dlhawes

Don't give up, you'll make a good stand-up comic some day. I note some other folks have done very well with the same sort of comedy. Henny Youngman, Rodney Dangerfield, etc. It's the spaghetti on the wall approach - if you throw enough spaghetti around the room, some of it will stick; if you tell enough bad jokes, sooner or later one will actually be funny, and that one makes all the rest worthwhile.
06-05-2022, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
Don't give up, you'll make a good stand-up comic some day. I note some other folks have done very well with the same sort of comedy. Henny Youngman, Rodney Dangerfield, etc. It's the spaghetti on the wall approach - if you throw enough spaghetti around the room, some of it will stick; if you tell enough bad jokes, sooner or later one will actually be funny, and that one makes all the rest worthwhile.
"Same sort"?

None of these are original, they're all from the Internet, many of course originally from figures like Dangerfield (who's a tragic hero, there was a case of a crying clown if ever there was), Stephen Wright, etc.

All that's just a hook ... I hope learners can pick up something photography-wise along the way. And, in a way, we're all learners, right?

Last edited by clackers; 06-05-2022 at 04:36 PM.
06-07-2022, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #11
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
... And, in a way, we're all learners, right?
Not just right but dam'right - people who aren't growing and changing are in the process of dying. And, when you consider all there is to be known, the sum of all human knowledge ain't a drop in the bucket.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!" (Beatles, "Yellow Submarine")
06-07-2022, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
people who aren't growing and changing are in the process of dying.
Yes, I like that one, like it a lot!