Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2022, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't trust AF-C to be as accurate for stationary targets as AF-S. And I don't trust myself to manage focus separately from the shutter button. With the K-3 III, the difference between AF-C with differently sized areas and AF hold statuses, and AF-S with single spot is just a flick of the third wheel away. I think I sometimes use the back button to cancel AF if it's just for once, and theres the switch to MF if I don't want focus changed for longer.

I think it's nice that there are several ways for us to achieve the same thing. Choice is nice.

06-18-2022, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back-button focus has become standard for me.
But all my Pentax DSLR are then set for AF-C as well.

Normally I don't like AF-C at all but together with BBF it is smart:
- You press the AF button, then let go (focus sits)

- Then the shutter-release button (AF-C is not affected by pressing it, it won't re-focus)
06-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Back-button focus has become standard for me.
But all my Pentax DSLR are then set for AF-C as well.
Yes, all mine are set for AF-C too, Photogem, that's how I shoot anything moving or stationary.
06-20-2022, 12:00 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, all mine are set for AF-C too, Photogem, that's how I shoot anything moving or stationary.
With the KP and shooting birds or insects with the 55-300PLM I had more success with AF-C the normal way, i.e. not BBF.
Quick moving objects are not my main "objects of desire" but sometimes I love to do it. Then BBF with AF-C is often too slow, the bird, bee or humming-bumble-bee already has moved. Sometimes "focus trap" (is that the right word in English?) is perfect of course. Of course

insects need macro and not the PLM. If I would do it more often I would love a 200mm macro but it is too rare.

But for birds feeding their offspring the PLM is really great but BBF with AF-C too slow. I guess the same will apply to sports (but I have zero experience there (taking pics though)

06-22-2022, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I've tried BBF and honestly don't see what the fuss is about. Every now and then I think "people go on and on (and on) about how great it is, I should give it another try" but I've yet to do it. I've seen numerous explanations of why it's so great but none of them really apply to what I do.

Oooh and look - my 9000th post!
06-22-2022, 07:34 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Oooh and look - my 9000th post!
"Over 9000" memes locked and loaded for your next one.
06-23-2022, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've tried BBF and honestly don't see what the fuss is about.
First - congrats on 9000+ posts!

Like any technique, there's no point to BBF if the benefits don't apply to what or how you shoot. I find it most useful in an active and cluttered situation like wildlife moving in the brush.

Below, the deer were walking perpendicular to us. I focused on one through a small clearing just before the shots. When they arrived at a better position, I gave a faun call and they stopped briefly, looking my way. This was the best composition of the 9 shots taken (probably three quick 3 shot bursts). The deer are in focus despite being behind trees and branches.

My wife doesn't use BBF. Her shots all looked like this, with the trees nicely in focus: