Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2022, 06:36 PM   #16

I have the Tamron 90mm macro (same version as yours), Pentax FA 100mm and 50mm macros, and more recently came into the latest DFA 100mm and 50mm macros. I love the Tamron, great in everything you guys say it is, except I was disappointed with the autofocus clutch mechanism. I guess it works fine on other brands of camera, just not Pentax. I wonder why we got the short end of Tamron's stick here?

I have HEARD, but am not personally sure about, that if you have a mismatch between camera and lens auto/manual focus setting, it WILL cause damage eventually. Maybe one of you guys has more and or correct insight on this. I'd have to physically SEE the mechanisim in order to make a judgement on that, and no way am I tearing that thing apart.

I actually bought a couple of the Tamron 90's as the reviews were all pretty good and I generally like Tamron. I have the 28-75, 17-50, and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses and think highly of each one. The clutch thing on this 90 was something I didn't understand before I bought them. I have a Tokina 100mm macro with the same type clutch for my Nikon D750, and that clutch really turned that thing into a macro machine! But when I got ahold of my first DFA 50 and 100 with focus shift, I realized those were the lenses to beat.

Does anyone know for certain if a mis-sync between focus setting can damage the focus mech in a Tamron 90?

06-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
hey, I have that same problem with my copy as well. It goes in and out buzzing like crazy hunting for focus but will not ever settle on anything very close.
and all this time I thought I was the only one with that problem! I tried af yesterday eve on a nice brilliant rainbow...ended up blurring the colors so bad it was unusable.
honestly...I am about ready to put this lens back on ebay and let someone else deal with the problems and buy me a Pentax 100 Macro. I think I would be ahead of the game!
That's basically what I did. I found a cheap copy that worked at the local camera shop and bought it. The guy was confused as he looked at the same lens on the camera and asked me if I knew I was wanting another copy of the same lens. I showed him what mine was doing and he understood. I ended up selling mine in the Pentaxian Facebook Group for something like $50, stating specifically what it was doing and not 100% functional. Guy that bought it just want to do macro, so it worked out for everyone.
06-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Then it definitely is the lens (the shaft shouldn't be moving up and down - only rotating). You might check some of the independent lens repair services available. Some have been mentioned in this forum but I don't know exactly who they were (try a search). You're right, this lens is a winner. It's probably the sharpest lens I own and exceeds the capability of my K-1 sensor (under the right circumstances). If you get a quote for repair, you might compare that to a replacement if you can find one. I do see these pop up from time to time for sale (even some here in the forum). Too bad about the service from Tamron. I know years back, there were a good many "gray market" items being sold and, as you said, they came with strings attached (like no warranty). It's interesting that Tamron refuses repair altogether because of a serial number. Hope you can find a repair source or the equivalent lens.
I contacted 3 repair businesses, no one will touch this Tamron, main reason is that Tamron isn't supporting this lens any longer so parts are really hard to get, all 3 said that they probably would have to ship the lens to Tamron in Japan and hope for the best.
Not very promising. One shop suggested that the lens has most likely been dropped at some time in the distant past and that it probably bent something inside of the focus ring. Asked for a series of pictures so that he could see if perhaps something was out of alignment
So fired of 22 pics each with a different f stop and his take was that everything looks to be in place as far as the glass goes which was a positive on that point. Great manager of that repair store, at least he was friendly as opposed to the folks at Tamron!!!

---------- Post added 06-28-22 at 08:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VariousThingsAndStuf Quote
I have the Tamron 90mm macro (same version as yours), Pentax FA 100mm and 50mm macros, and more recently came into the latest DFA 100mm and 50mm macros. I love the Tamron, great in everything you guys say it is, except I was disappointed with the autofocus clutch mechanism. I guess it works fine on other brands of camera, just not Pentax. I wonder why we got the short end of Tamron's stick here?

I have HEARD, but am not personally sure about, that if you have a mismatch between camera and lens auto/manual focus setting, it WILL cause damage eventually. Maybe one of you guys has more and or correct insight on this. I'd have to physically SEE the mechanisim in order to make a judgement on that, and no way am I tearing that thing apart.

I actually bought a couple of the Tamron 90's as the reviews were all pretty good and I generally like Tamron. I have the 28-75, 17-50, and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses and think highly of each one. The clutch thing on this 90 was something I didn't understand before I bought them. I have a Tokina 100mm macro with the same type clutch for my Nikon D750, and that clutch really turned that thing into a macro machine! But when I got ahold of my first DFA 50 and 100 with focus shift, I realized those were the lenses to beat.

Does anyone know for certain if a mis-sync between focus setting can damage the focus mech in a Tamron 90?
I have to say, the pictures are fantastic, no complaints there. Just the darn focus is very sticky...a real turn off when trying to catch that wolf spider that is hanging around my tomato plant. He is actually getting more friendly, today I was actually able to sit in a chair about 2 feet from him, at first he was suspicious that I was going to eat him but after a couple of minutes he chilled out and went about his business looking for lunch. When I try to focus in manual with the Tamron he gets skittish as hell, maybe it's that he is looking at the glass and he thinks it is my eye? or something about to munch him so he slips behind the tomato stem and peeks around at me to see if I have a fork and knife or???
OH by the way, the clutch is a real PIA. I do think that there could be a problem if you have the lens on manual and the camera on AF, weird things happen and maybe, just maybe that is what happened to me.