Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2022, 03:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-X LCD screen solarisation issue

OK, time to pick some of your brains, please.
I have just acquired a working Pentax K-X which takes images fine, but when the image is displayed on the rear LCD, they are solarised. When I use live view, exactly the same problem. However this does NOT affect the screen when it displays the camera menu, nor the images captured on the SD card which are absolutely fine. I tried a reset, then updated the fimware to the latest version, but the problem persists.

After much searching on the net, I found one instance of a similar issue with a Fuji X30, but that was because the camera had been dropped. I've also discussed this with my camera mates, including a couple of dealers, and they can only think of one example which was an Olympus, disagnosed as possibly being a screen/connector problem, but never actually investigated.

Now a search of the net shows this is a not uncomon problem with LCD TVs, and it seems to be component failure regarding the conversion of the TV signal into a viewable image on the screen, with mention of the T-con board as being the prime suspect. Now I have not a clue whether a similar system is used to convert the camera's sensor image to the LCD display, but given the age of the camera, and the near-impossibilty of a repair I plan to leave it as-is, treating it as a digital version of a film camera-i.e. no replay!

So has anyone encountered a similar problem with either a Pentax or any other digital camera's LCD display, and if so, did you bottom the cause?

I've attached a photo of the screen to demonstrate the display issue-I'm almost disappointed the recorded image is not also solarised!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio I-10  Photo 
06-19-2022, 04:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try pulling the battery, wait a while, put in a fresh one, and reset camera. If that doesn't work, then repair.
06-19-2022, 04:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Try pulling the battery, wait a while, put in a fresh one, and reset camera. If that doesn't work, then repair.
Nope, sorry.
Did a full reset as I said, and because I put the latest firmware in needed new batteries to do this, so both tried, but no joy. Have you actually encountered this exact problem?
06-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If I had the appropriate A/V lead (I-AVC7) and a suitable device to plug it into I'd try that, but I'll not suggest sourcing the optional lead just for diagnostic purposes.
Are the "images captured on the SD card" saved as JPG or RAW?
Just thinking about Digital Filters (Custom Image) settings, but those should have all been cleared when the camera was reset.
Does the same thing happen irrespective of Mode … perhaps try "AUTO PICT" to reduce things to the bare essentials?

06-19-2022, 09:41 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
I've attached a photo of the screen to demonstrate the display issue-I'm almost disappointed the recorded image is not also solarised!
I'm guessing this means the stored image on the K-x is "normal". If this is the case problems like these (and there are several posts on similar problems) are usually hardware related. Either the cable to the LCD screen or some other connector is loose or broken, the LCD screen has gone bad or there is a problem in the mainboard. Sending the video out to an external monitor may indicate whether screen or connection to the screen is faulty or if the problem is with the mainboard.

As I recall you can buy a 3rd party replacement screen with cable if the problem should be hardware.
06-19-2022, 09:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If I had the appropriate A/V lead (I-AVC7) and a suitable device to plug it into I'd try that, but I'll not suggest sourcing the optional lead just for diagnostic purposes.
Are the "images captured on the SD card" saved as JPG or RAW?
Just thinking about Digital Filters (Custom Image) settings, but those should have all been cleared when the camera was reset.
Does the same thing happen irrespective of Mode … perhaps try "AUTO PICT" to reduce things to the bare essentials?
Yes, I've tried every setting known to man! I also wondered about the custom image settings, but even when I switch to-say-monochrome, I get a monochrome playback image.I've also tried adjusting numerous parameters, including colour, in custom image, but no noticable effect on the solarisation at all. And when I connect to a latop via the AV cable, of course it just transmits what is on the SD card ( jpeg), not what the camera sees. Those images are, just as when the card is removed and plugged into the card reader on the laptop, perfect with no issues whatsoever. The really puzzling thing is that the solarisation does NOT affect the screen when displaying the menu/settings etc., just the review of the SD card images, and live view.
06-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm guessing this means the stored image on the K-x is "normal". If this is the case problems like these (and there are several posts on similar problems) are usually hardware related. Either the cable to the LCD screen or some other connector is loose or broken, the LCD screen has gone bad or there is a problem in the mainboard. Sending the video out to an external monitor may indicate whether screen or connection to the screen is faulty or if the problem is with the mainboard.

As I recall you can buy a 3rd party replacement screen with cable if the problem should be hardware.
Sorry but the connected image from camera to laptop is identical to that stored on the SD card because that is all the cable shows. I wish it was the cable or screen, but given the issues with LCD TVs that I mentioned in my original post I suspect it is processor/mainboard related. Interesting that there are so few instances on the internet where this affects digital cameras, though. Anyone else had the same problem? And if so, how did you fix it, or was the solution too expensive as I suspect this is?

06-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assume you have, but if not check the brightness and color of the rear screen, setup menu 2. I don't know if that being off could cause that, but just in case. If you go into those menu items, the green button is supposed to work as a reset. (pages 250 and 251 of manual)
06-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #9

Well if you think it's the mainboard just replace the camera. Used K-xs don't go for much. Just make sure the white solenoid hasn't been harvested from the body.
06-19-2022, 11:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As it was already suggested, it could be the connection of the whote backpart including LCD or just the LCD.
The display and even the complete backpart with all buttons of the K-m/K-2000 will work without any problem except that LV won't work anymore.
I have a K-x here with a K-m top and back. (The Top needs unsoldering of a few wires and again is different, the K-m has less wires (2 less) than the K-x).
The K-m' s mainboard and sensor were damaged but the rest fine, the K-x had a broken LCD and non-solvable problems in the top. So know I have a K-x with some oddities (LV is activated via the menu-button, the mode-dial lacks the video position)
But I keep it as a present for a very young kid, he will be able to start to learn in about a year (is no 4 but very bright), so he shall get this one to start.
Video is the only thing that doesn't work, no problem! Also I have implanted the 3.rd generation China-solenoid instead of its white Japan-solenoid for test reasons: As this K-x with K-m clothes will now be stored for about year, enough time to see how it will behave (and if stuck, it will be replaced). Not quite the perfect test for it because AAs only.

So if you have another K-x or a K-m you could just swap the complete back part.
Then you know if it is the motherboard .... if not, then it must be a connection: Either the flat ribbon cable connecting the LCD on the back of the connector of the back to the mainboard.
06-20-2022, 01:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I assume you have, but if not check the brightness and color of the rear screen, setup menu 2. I don't know if that being off could cause that, but just in case. If you go into those menu items, the green button is supposed to work as a reset. (pages 250 and 251 of manual)
Thanks, but again I have applied all the resets and changes to the various settings from the menu, but still no effect.
I agree it could be the mainboard and that it is not worth the effort/expense to change it, but I am stil interested to hear from anyone who has encountered a similar issue with any dgital camera, let alone Pentax. There seems to be a lack of reporting of this solarisation issue with digital cameras on the net, but many with regard to LCD tv's,which is the reason I have attempted to diagnose the problem with respect to that device. It could well be absolutely unconnected to the usual tv diagnosis and solution, hence the reason for starting this thread. If it is a rare almost one-off, then I'm delighted to hear it, although it of course it will not enable me to fix this one! But that doesn't stop me being curious as to its cause.
06-20-2022, 02:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think it is the LCD at all. If it would be, then it would not work viewing photos!

The most simple check is opening the camera and reconnecting the 2 critical connections,
i.e. LCD itself and backpart to the mainboard.
All else is fishing in the a muddy pond (without any fish possibly)
06-20-2022, 02:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I don't think it is the LCD at all. If it would be, then it would not work viewing photos!

The most simple check is opening the camera and reconnecting the 2 critical connections,
i.e. LCD itself and backpart to the mainboard.
All else is fishing in the a muddy pond (without any fish possibly)
Yes, I think you amy be 100% correct, and in the spirit of exploration I will probably dlve inside at some stage, although currently have another box of more urgent repairs to do, so it may be a week or two. When I do get an answer one way or another I'll post the results on here. There's no urgency for me to repair it for my own use since I have the excellent KP, and my recently repaired K-S1 and a K-5 I also repaired ( broken tab on aperture lens actuator!) as backups. But I would like to find the answer.....
06-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #14

I'm still unclear as to if the JPEG images, either from Raw or straight out of the camera look the same. The image posted above according to the EXIF data was taken with an Optio so is a shot of the LCD.
06-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm still unclear as to if the JPEG images, either from Raw or straight out of the camera look the same. The image posted above according to the EXIF data was taken with an Optio so is a shot of the LCD.
Hi.
Absolutely correct! I used my i-10 to photograph the K-x screen because the issue ONLY occurs on the camera LCD-the images, RAW and jpeg on the SD card are totally normal. That is where the puzzle lies....