Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2022, 02:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Used K1 enquiry

I just aquired a mint condition K1 with a 6020 shutter count. It has had two previous owners, so has experienced a nice easy life. I am loving it so far. Considering the light usage this camera has had and any potential issues in this regard, I have a couple of questions that I hope owners of either K1 model could answer:

1. Should the third function dial, the far right one, be stiff to turn? I have a KP and I am able to rotate this easily with my thumb. On the K1 it's a two fingers job.

2. Shutter sound: should there be a brief motor drive sound after the shutter has actuated? Again I am comparing this to my KP, which has a more 'mechanical' sounding shutter.

Many thanks.

06-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buntzbooze Quote
I just aquired a mint condition K1 with a 6020 shutter count. It has had two previous owners, so has experienced a nice easy life. I am loving it so far. Considering the light usage this camera has had and any potential issues in this regard, I have a couple of questions that I hope owners of either K1 model could answer:

1. Should the third function dial, the far right one, be stiff to turn? I have a KP and I am able to rotate this easily with my thumb. On the K1 it's a two fingers job.

2. Shutter sound: should there be a brief motor drive sound after the shutter has actuated? Again I am comparing this to my KP, which has a more 'mechanical' sounding shutter.

Many thanks.
1. No....but then this is something that might be user to user.

2. Hmmm...I'd have to check but my camera is at work...but also I have no idea what the KP sounds like. Sure that's not AF sound?
06-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

1. Yes, the function dial is stiff so it can't be easily moved unless one wants to change modes. The setting dial can be changed using ones thumb.
2. That sound is the stabilization activating

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-26-2022 at 02:33 PM.
06-26-2022, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. I have two K-1 mII cameras. The knob on the silver one is stiff like yours, but the black one can be turned with the thumb. I inquired about this some time ago on this forum and was told that the stiff wheel was the normal one.
2. I haven't noticed such a noise.

06-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. My dial is stiff, but moveable with my thumb.

2. I have a very quick, soft sound after shutter activation, when I release pressure on the shutter button.

I hope this helps.
06-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For peace of mind you could always post a video with sound on a shared site like Flickr. And get input to be sure the sounds and stiffness were normal.
06-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like the dial depends on the individual camera, and the shutter is operating ok (cheers grog85361). I had heard about early versions of the K1 having issues with the mode dial getting stuck in place, so just wanted to check. Cheers.

06-27-2022, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As said, the mode dial on my camera was a bit "stiff" however it should get less so with use. I've used mine quite a bit and it seems looser now than when new. When you take a shot, you still have the mirror being activated (unless in Liveview) as well as the shutter (unless you're using electronic shutter), and yes these do make a unique noise.
06-27-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bob.
06-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buntzbooze Quote
I just aquired a mint condition K1 with a 6020 shutter count.. . . .
if you have not done so I urge you considering getting the E Book:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-1 / K-1 II eBook
Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax K-1 / K-1 II guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing
Amount: US$19.99

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations

it is at the bottom of the donation page
06-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I will certainly have a look at this. Having come from the K70 and KP, I admit that I've not even looked at the manual yet. The K1 certainly shares a lot of features from my APSC cameras - I don't think my other half has noticed I've bought a new camera yet. If I keep my distance I reckon she will think its just my KP...