Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2022, 05:23 PM   #1

Pentax A3 SLR stuck mirror

Hello all. I recently inherited some cameras from an old friend, including a Pentax A3 SLR. This was an early program camera with a half a dozen lenses. I've some repair work but the thing I can't solve is the flip up mirror. It won't comedown. It moves freely down, bu twhen you let go it flips right back up. Any ideas how this can be reset? Thank you.

06-28-2022, 10:43 PM   #2
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you check the presence of a fresh battery?
07-01-2022, 02:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
The battery chamber needed some repair, which I did, and when I loaded batteries and did the batteries test I got the red light which I think means good. Thank you for your help though. Happy to hear any other ideas you might have,
07-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Will it run through a cycle other than the mirror coming down?
So if you press the shutter button, will the shutter operate and the film try to wind (even if it's empty)?
Which red light did you say came on?
Do you get the meter indicating inside the viewfinder? (I think the A3 tells you a little in there...)

It sounds like a) the shutter/mirror relationship is no longer as it should be and it needs a real repair... or b) it died in the middle of a cycle when the last set of batteries went, and it just needs something to trip it into completing that last cycle to start it working again...

I don't recall if the A3 stops working properly when empty (some cameras do...). It will probably say in the manual, but you may need to fool it into thinking it has film in it...

-Eric