Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K1 Electronic Shutter

Does Electronic Shutter add to Activation Count ?

07-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes electronic shutter adds to activation count, because the mechanical shutter is also used when the electronic shutter is used, except for pixel shift exposure that counts as one activation for each set of 4 electronic exposures.
07-04-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank biz-engineer.

I was hoping it didn't, doing time lapse (Live view and Miops smart Trigger) and don't want to run up the shutter count.

As such, I'll look at other options.
07-04-2022, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The rated life of the K-1's shutter is 300,000 cycles and the current price of a K-1 is under $1500.

Thus, the "cost" of one more activation is under half a penny.

Even if you take 1,000 shots per time-lapse series, the "cost" in lifespan is under $5 -- the price of a latte!

(Note: The reason the K-1 needs an activation cycle even with a time lapse of electronic shutter shots is because the camera uses a spring-loaded curtain that is held open by a powered solenoid. The camera would need to continuously drain power while waiting between shots. That design is actually a safety feature -- in the event of a dead battery or removing the battery, the shutter automatically closes to protect the sensor.)

07-04-2022, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
As such, I'll look at other options
Sir, do you want to take pictures or not ?
07-04-2022, 03:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Thank biz-engineer.

I was hoping it didn't, doing time lapse (Live view and Miops smart Trigger) and don't want to run up the shutter count.

As such, I'll look at other options.
Why are you not wanting to "run up the shutter count"?
07-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The rated life of the K-1's shutter is 300,000 cycles and the current price of a K-1 is under $1500.
That rated shutter life is good to learn of, as it enhances confidence even more. I too do not understand the OP's concern regarding shutter count, especially with this camera being among those in the highest rating category.

The K-1 II at B&H here in the US is currently priced at approx. $1,800 body-only (with some important free extras included), and a bargain for the superb camera it is. The new K-3 III APS-C body is offered at a now approx. $1,700 reduced rate, finally below the cost of the K-1 II. The lineup is beginning to make more sense again.

07-04-2022, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Looks like the OP had K50 aperture block failure twice, so for him the cost of one more activation was much more than a penny.
07-04-2022, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #9

I think it is a fair question; I've been asking myself this question as well. I enjoy the camera that much, I want to get the most out of it's life and keep it away from unnecessary wear and tear.
That doesn't mean I'm afraid to use it......
07-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is interesting. Looks like one could run up a lot of usage fast if doing a lot of time lapse shooting. What about shutter activations during video in comparison? I've not yet done any of either with my K-1 II, but something to keep in mind in case I do.
07-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For video, wouldn't that just be a single actuation per clip?
The mechanical shutter opens, the film is recorded for however long it is recorded, and the shutter closes...

Same basic thing happens any time you use live view... the shutter opens, live view is engaged, then the shutter closes again when you turn the camera off (or back out of "mirrorless mode"), whether or not you actually took any photos...

There are obviously all sorts of funny games that happen on the chip during recording of a movie, but none of them involve anything mechanical, I don't think...

-Eric
07-05-2022, 10:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

He's doing time lapse, making a movie from individual still frames taken at intervals.
07-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
For video, wouldn't that just be a single actuation per clip?
The mechanical shutter opens, the film is recorded for however long it is recorded, and the shutter closes...

Same basic thing happens any time you use live view... the shutter opens, live view is engaged, then the shutter closes again when you turn the camera off (or back out of "mirrorless mode"), whether or not you actually took any photos...

There are obviously all sorts of funny games that happen on the chip during recording of a movie, but none of them involve anything mechanical, I don't think...

-Eric
Actually video is the strongest stress you can put on your camera, LiveView comes second...:
- The mirror is lifted by a motor. Normally a very quick action but here it is under continuous effort
- Same for the shutter

That is why those modes also (together with the LCD) drain the battery much more.

I don't worry much for the double shutter action!
07-06-2022, 11:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I provide more suspiciously-similar data under exact case usage? I shot a TON of timelapse with my K-1 when they first debuted. My shutter gave out at 69,986 actuations. It cost me $353 to replace the shutter at precision camera.

That works out to.... 0.5044 cents per actuation.
And that's for an *extremely* early shutter failure, considering the lifespan.

Now I offloaded my timelapse workflow to a KP.
And bought a backup K-1ii.
Then bought a backup KP for the inevitability of me wearing the 1st one's shutter out.

Consider the KP. At 24MP it leaves you with plenty of cropping room to maintain 4k, the Electronic Shutter from live view is mostly motionless, and it lets you do continuous shooting via ES/LV with the mirror up 100% of the time. Image quality difference is almost negligible too.

While it probably counts against the shutter count, it's FAR less wear & tear than the same activity on a K-1.
07-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I think Elvis has left the building.....