Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #1

Cold weather protection for a K200D?

Hi there, I've decided to take my camera (a K200D) on the slopes with me next week (I'm in Australia - hence the snow in July!)
I've been re-appropriating a small hydration backpack for my camera gear when mountain biking, hiking etc, so it should also work well for skiing.
I remember when I was in Yellowstone National Park in the winter, that the cold zapped my battery life super fast! (also on my phone).
Does anyone have any tips on how I can manage this?
Obviously Australia ski fields don't come anywhere near the temps of Yellowstone (-27oC!!), but I've been having battery issues as it is, so want to minimise this as much as possible.
Thanks

07-06-2022, 10:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would carry extra packs of batteries in internal pockets, for body warmth. I used plastic 4-pack holders and switched sides to know which were charged and which were low.

You may want to consider using high performance lithiums, like Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, or at least having them along on the slopes. Although expensive, they tended to operate longer in my K200D.

Eneloops are "the usual" rechargeables most use successfully.

Have fun!
07-07-2022, 03:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Given how sensitive the K200D is to which batteries are used it's not an ideal choice but the important thing is to try to keep the batteries warm. Unfortunately I don't think any digital cameras have the accessory that some film ones had - a cable that runs from the battery terminals to the batteries which can be kept inside a pocket to keep them warm.

Probably the best you can do is to keep at least one spare set inside your jacket and swap when needed.
07-07-2022, 03:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As it was already mentioned:

Energizer Lithium Ultimate AA's are far the best for the K200D (I'm now using only those, gave up on Eneloop Pro's for it)
What eats batterylife:
- Sigma in-lens-SR (even if switched off!)
- Display

Energizer Ultimate Lithium | Best Long Lasting Batteries

07-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
spare batteries kept in an inside pocket so you can swap them and warm the frozen ones. The Energizer lithiums are a good choice as they hold up better in the cold. Beyond that bring a zip-lock bag to put the camera in when you are about to head in. Get as much air out of the bag as you can with the camera and lens in it and seal it up while outside. Then bring it in and let it come to temp in the sealed bag. You will get condensation on the outside of the bag but not the camera and lens. I do this when doing winter astro shooting here in MN which gets a lot colder than it does in Australia and I've been out shooting in -35C and apart from short battery life haven't had any problems.
07-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to see Australian ski pictures. Actually you can probably find some snow in or around Yellowstone if you go high enough; I can see patchy snow in the Colorado mountains at 11,000 feet.

The K200D does have a power port and with some electronics knowledge you could make a pocketable external battery pack. But then you'd give up weather resistance.
07-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestion. If there are any options to grab some electronics parts grab a AA holder and some cable and an appropriate plug to fit the k200d dc input (fits the ac battery eliminator) and keep those batteries inside the coat. You can make more than one pack. However the simple use of AA lithium batteries (not rechargeable) will help immensely.

07-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I want to see Australian ski pictures. Actually you can probably find some snow in or around Yellowstone if you go high enough; I can see patchy snow in the Colorado mountains at 11,000 feet.

The K200D does have a power port and with some electronics knowledge you could make a pocketable external battery pack. But then you'd give up weather resistance.
Kosciuszko used to be just a wee bit too short to keep snow cover all year round. Climate change will be shifting that to a longer period without coverage.

You could come here for Dark MOFO in Tassie and then come up to Victoria for some whale watching and skiing. Some Queenslanders also come to Melbourne during the semester break at universities to oppose in cafes all day in heavy winter clothes and watch live music at night.

Our ocean beaches can also be great mid winter. Atmospheric and bracing.
07-07-2022, 09:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

The K200D has the possibility for the D-BG3 batterygrip but I guess the TO wants to keep it light and small.

The good thing about Energizer Lithium Ultimates is that they can handle extrem temperatures like no other battery.
And they are leakproof which is important for the K200D, as soon as the inner contacts get messed up through leaked chemicals it is difficult to get those alright again. No need to take special care for them as well and because they are lighter than other AA's one just takes enough of them.
07-07-2022, 10:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I would carry extra packs of batteries in internal pockets, for body warmth. I used plastic 4-pack holders and switched sides to know which were charged and which were low.

You may want to consider using high performance lithiums, like Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, or at least having them along on the slopes. Although expensive, they tended to operate longer in my K200D.

Eneloops are "the usual" rechargeables most use successfully.

Have fun!
Thanks - Energiser lithiums are what it eats for breakfast!
I have trouble getting anything but them to work in it!

---------- Post added 07-07-22 at 10:09 PM ----------

Thanks Everyone - yes, Energiser lithiums are (on some days) all it wants to work on!
Unfortunately at this stage - no option for me to even attempt any electronics work! (Not that I know how I'd go with that anyway!)

I'll take a zip lock bag along - thanks for that tip Mossy rocks
And for the battery eating tips Photogem.

I was thinking of wrapping it in an old fleece neck warmer (good size) as well - I'd hate to have to put batteries in and out every time I wanted to use it.
Any chance that would help keep the whole rig (and hence batteries) warm??
07-08-2022, 04:01 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BelDel Quote
I was thinking of wrapping it in an old fleece neck warmer (good size) as well - I'd hate to have to put batteries in and out every time I wanted to use it.
Any chance that would help keep the whole rig (and hence batteries) warm??
The wrap will help reduce heat loss but unlike you or me the camera isn’t creating a lot of heat sitting idle. You might just keep two sets of batteries - one warm against your body, The other in camera - and swap only as needed.