Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2022, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Wasabis last just as long as Pentax batteries in my K70.

07-20-2022, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another aspect to this is the fact that the camera mfr spent the extra money and time to get the batteries safety certified. If you look on the back of the OEM batteries they have various safety certification marks. (UL RU CSA ETL VDE etc...) They may have a CE mark but that is not the same. CE is a self declaration scheme while the others verify that the batteries are still being make to the latest safety standards on a regular basis. The safety certification requires thermal and overload protection is in place to avoid thermal runaway and short circuiting that can cause a battery to expand and possibly catch fire. That is a major reason for the higher cost of the original batteries not to mention the added circuit components. The extra $20 to $30 per battery over 5 to 10 years of owning the camera is worth it to me. Others, maybe not so much.
07-09-2023, 08:30 AM   #33

How is ya'll experience with BM Premium (I got a dual charger with two batteries from Amazon). I'm concerned I made a bad decision (I'm still within the Return Window) with all this talk about surprise fireworks and batteries swelling, etc. It seems like I'm better off just buying a second Pentax Battery, and a second charger.

It already looks like from searching and reading a little deper around here I already know the answer, I just found zero returned results about BM Premium when I searched the forum, but B&H Photo and Mike's Camera both sells this unit and batteries, so since ya'll recommend buying from a reputable place, it seems since they offer it, they stand behind it. I noticed the 2 contacts versus the 3.

"Made in China" has REALLY been annoying me over the recent years, because I'm always finding problems as a result.

Last edited by AdkMtnGuy; 07-09-2023 at 08:44 AM.
07-09-2023, 10:35 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
My Wasabis last just as long as Pentax batteries in my K70.
They do in the beginning, but sooner than later they won't:
Wasabi D-LI90 clonse once had made in Japan cells and thus lasted quite well (but not that long as OEM Pentax because of quick-charging and
other lacking factors. But the D-LI109 clones from the beginning were cheaper Chinacells.
Plus: They lack the UL certification, something member rogerstg denies with all might, even if presented with the true facts.
He continues to insist they have UL certification. Alternative facts!

QuoteOriginally posted by AdkMtnGuy Quote
How is ya'll experience with BM Premium (I got a dual charger with two batteries from Amazon). I'm concerned I made a bad decision (I'm still within the Return Window) with all this talk about surprise fireworks and batteries swelling, etc. It seems like I'm better off just buying a second Pentax Battery, and a second charger.

It already looks like from searching and reading a little deper around here I already know the answer, I just found zero returned results about BM Premium when I searched the forum, but B&H Photo and Mike's Camera both sells this unit and batteries, so since ya'll recommend buying from a reputable place, it seems since they offer it, they stand behind it. I noticed the 2 contacts versus the 3.

"Made in China" has REALLY been annoying me over the recent years, because I'm always finding problems as a result.
The charger has just 2 contacts for the 4 D-LI109 contacts, so it is as usual with the cheat-resistor and fast charging.
Possible good for the next 1- max 2 years, then loss of capacity.
As quick-charging and getting hotter possible danger of swelling i.e. leaking

And, just the pretty worthless CE sign. No UL certification!

Last edited by photogem; 07-09-2023 at 10:44 AM.
07-09-2023, 12:05 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The charger has just 2 contacts for the 4 D-LI109 contacts, so it is as usual with the cheat-resistor and fast charging.
Possible good for the next 1- max 2 years, then loss of capacity.
As quick-charging and getting hotter possible danger of swelling i.e. leaking

And, just the pretty worthless CE sign. No UL certification!
I'm returning it tomorrow.