Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question regarding Auto-Focus Adjustment in a Pentax K-7.

I have the Auto-Focus Fine Tune Adjustment set to: AF Adjustment, Apply All @ +10. Is that where I want it and also, what exactly does it do?

Many thanks for all assistance. Regards,

Tony

07-21-2022, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+10 is going to correct for 'extreme' backfocus with all your lenses. It is where you want it if your camera is backfocusing. If not it should be at 0.
07-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have the Auto-Focus Fine Tune Adjustment set to: AF Adjustment, Apply All @ +10. Is that where I want it and also, what exactly does it do?

Many thanks for all assistance. Regards,

Tony
I don't have a K-7, but I believe you should only make that adjustment to the lens only. If you selected adjust all, it might apply that adjustment to all your lenses. If I remember correctly, I believe that you can store up to 20 different lens adjustments. I hope someone corrects me soon if I am wrong.
07-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Adjust your focus for each individual lens only if it needs it. If a particular lens is back focusing then you would use the + adjustment to move the focus closer, how much depends on how far the back focus is. If your lens is front focusing then you use the - adjustment to move it back and again how much depends on how much in front the lens is focusing. I doubt it would be possible for all lenses mounted on your camera to need a focus adjustment for +10. Set up a focus test chart and with your lens on the largest aperture using the center focus point only put your camera on a tripod and check the focus and if it looks good leave it at zero, if it is in front or behind where it should be then adjust until it is focused where the center point indicates it should be.

07-21-2022, 11:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let’s try this t’other way round! AF adjustment is for adjusting the AF when it’s not doing an accurate job and it can be set by different amounts for different lenses if necessary.

I use a K7 too: my kit 18-55 needs a small adjustment, my FA 80-320 needs a large adjustment and the A 35-105 and 28 prime need none at all. I’ve just bought a wideangle zoom and will be checking it this weekend to see if any AF adjustment is needed for it.

But simply applying +10 to all lenses without a good reason (you didn’t mention any) seems odd. You wouldn’t set your car’s steering to constantly turn left, would you?
07-21-2022, 11:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
+10 is going to correct for 'extreme' backfocus with all your lenses. It is where you want it if your camera is backfocusing. If not it should be at 0.
Okay, I never use the back focus button. I have reset the adjustment back to zero. Is this what I want? I will set up a focus target and see if that helps.

Thnx a million for the info.

Tony

---------- Post added 07-21-22 at 11:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Let’s try this t’other way round! AF adjustment is for adjusting the AF when it’s not doing an accurate job and it can be set by different amounts for different lenses if necessary.

I use a K7 too: my kit 18-55 needs a small adjustment, my FA 80-320 needs a large adjustment and the A 35-105 and 28 prime need none at all. I’ve just bought a wideangle zoom and will be checking it this weekend to see if any AF adjustment is needed for it.

But simply applying +10 to all lenses without a good reason (you didn’t mention any) seems odd. You wouldn’t set your car’s steering to constantly turn left, would you?
I suppose I should have explained that I purchased the k-7 used and that was the setting it was on. There was no explanation anywhere as to what the purpose was for the

Auto-Focus Fine Tune Adjustment Feature. I will be setting up a focus target in the very near future and see how it goes. I am, admittedly unclear as to how to determine

a focus area is too far out front or too close in. Simply put, I really miss the days of film. Thanks for all the help. I would appreciate how you determine you need to make

a large adjustment, especially with the 80~320 Mil.

Tony
07-22-2022, 01:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First thing you should do with a camera aquired used is to reset it to factory settings and then work from there on. This significantly reduces the number of wrong turns.

Then I would not suggest to set up a focus target and get into fine tuning, if you do not have constant issues with a specific lens to get it into focus. You can find some threads in this forum about focus fine tuning. Despite of these you may be astonished to find, that a lot of members of the forum (including me) do not ever fine tune any of their lenses ever and are very happy with the outcoming. You spare yourself a lot of worries. You need to have a sound knowledge on how to test and set the adjustment right, as well as a good understanding of the autofocus system of your camera and its technical limitations to achiev good success.
Do yourself a good and forget about it, as long as you get along.

07-22-2022, 02:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
First thing you should do with a camera aquired used is to reset it to factory settings and then work from there on. This significantly reduces the number of wrong turns.

Then I would not suggest to set up a focus target and get into fine tuning, if you do not have constant issues with a specific lens to get it into focus. You can find some threads in this forum about focus fine tuning. Despite of these you may be astonished to find, that a lot of members of the forum (including me) do not ever fine tune any of their lenses ever and are very happy with the outcoming. You spare yourself a lot of worries. You need to have a sound knowledge on how to test and set the adjustment right, as well as a good understanding of the autofocus system of your camera and its technical limitations to achiev good success.
Do yourself a good and forget about it, as long as you get along.

Well, that sounds like a reasonable solution. I do have it set to zero and will get out in the morning and shoot the lights out and study the results.

Many thanks,

Tony
07-22-2022, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you find adjustment is necessary, a good method I use is Dot Tune.

07-22-2022, 05:05 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, I never use the back focus button.

Tony
Just to be clear, front focus and back focus errors have nothing to do with the button you press to focus; it means the camera is focussing on an area in front of or behind the subject you pointed the camera’s AF at. You might have set focus on a particular flower petal but the image turns out to have been focussed on a leaf instead, or the family member was focussed on but the resulting image is clearly focussed on the car seat. Irritating!
07-22-2022, 06:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to be clear, front focus and back focus errors have nothing to do with the button you press to focus; it means the camera is focussing on an area in front of or behind the subject you pointed the camera’s AF at.
This was my ??? when I read the thread and Tony's answer here:
Okay, I never use the back focus button
A +10 backfocus for all lenses would be almost impossible.

Backbutton Focusing is a special method which quite a few (including myself) like very much because one can use AF-C in a special way
without it going into Continuous when pressing the shutter-release-button:
Clackers' Beginners Tip 26: Back Button Focus - PentaxForums.com
Clackers' Beginners Tip 26: Back Button Focus - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
07-22-2022, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to be clear, front focus and back focus errors have nothing to do with the button you press to focus; it means the camera is focussing on an area in front of or behind the subject you pointed the camera’s AF at. You might have set focus on a particular flower petal but the image turns out to have been focussed on a leaf instead, or the family member was focussed on but the resulting image is clearly focussed on the car seat. Irritating!

Okay, thanks very much for clearing that up. I guess what I should have made clear in the beginning is that I am not having any problems with focusing. I merely wanted to

know if the +10 setting is where it should be and what Auto-Focus Fine Tune Adjustment meant. In the description there is no indication that it is for fine tuning lenses and not

the Auto-Focus System. So how is one like me supposed to know it is for lenses? Through Osmosis?

Thanks a million to all the contributors for the assistance.

Tony
07-22-2022, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Okay, thanks very much for clearing that up. I guess what I should have made clear in the beginning is that I am not having any problems with focusing. I merely wanted to

know if the +10 setting is where it should be and what Auto-Focus Fine Tune Adjustment meant. In the description there is no indication that it is for fine tuning lenses and not

the Auto-Focus System. So how is one like me supposed to know it is for lenses? Through Osmosis?

Tony
It probably explains this issue you had with manual focus lenses
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/443232-problem-manual-third-party-lenses-focusing-k-7-a.html#post5581771

07-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tune Adjustment meant. In the description there is no indication that it is for fine tuning lenses and not
Sometimes the users' manuals are not written all that clearly. I could see years ago, when coming from cameras not ever having any adjustment capability for matching a particular lens with a particular camera, I too would have wondered what that is all about.
07-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Tony
Page 121 in the manual gives further information